Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How accurate it the Sim with regards to CSC?

Reaction score
So with mental winds here the last couple of days I'm grounded and have resorted to experimenting with the Pilot app simulator. One thing I've been messing with is what would happen if CSC were initiated mid flight. With P-GPS enabled and the aircraft hovering at 400 ft when CSC is initiated it obviously drops very quickly but as long as CSC is initiated again by 300ft the aircraft recovers without dropping below around 80 ft.

There's no way I'm going to try this in actual flight but I'm wondering of anyone has ever had reason to do this for real?

Would the aircraft stay stable in free fall as it seems to in the sim or would recovery from a free fall require the aircraft to recover from inverted flight, can it even do that?

Just intrigued really.

Last edited:
That's gotta be the most craziest question I've seen here yet.

And, I wouldn't mind knowing too :)

I believe there's no way she'll fire up again. Plus, I reckon she'll roll like no tomorrow as soon as her props stop.

I know a Phantom will recover after a CSC in the air, provided it's high enough.
So I think an inspire probably will as well. The fact that, in the simulator it still takes a few seconds to stabilise, makes me think it's accurate.

It is really very simple to give an accurate descend in free fall (almost free fall, almost zero drag!) in the simulator, you can calculate that almost from the top of your head, if you happen to recall the simple formula (wasn't it v-gt or h=1/2gt(square))?
Anyhow, I see no reason why the simulator would not simulate that correctly.

The flight controller is capable of recovering from any angle to horizontal, even upside down. In fact it can fly upside down as well (if we had manual mode). EDITED: I might be totally wrong here, we would probably need reverse on our props or prop adjustment.
But since the Inspire produces no significant drag it will fall like a steel ball or a brick. So you have to CSC well before the minimum height which would be 400ft. It will still drop 300 ft before it's in stabile hovering. After that it climbs back to the height the new homepoint was set to.

i wouldn't try it for real though. But I don't think it hurts when I practice it quite often in the simulator. When the time comes that I need it, I think I have a better shot at it. If it turns out to be wrong, so be it, at least I tried.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirnikolas
Because the fall spins the props the opposite direction and, if there is not too much wind, equally, it should actually fall pretty straight. I cut the motors in the air on a lot of my quads when just playing around and they all fall fairly straight.

I guess you're right. The Inpire1 will probably fall straight down without turning upside down, after a CSC.

I know the Phantoms can tumble around because of the drag the shell produces. And they tend to fall buttered side down :)

Because the fall spins the props the opposite direction and, if there is not too much wind, equally, it should actually fall pretty straight. I cut the motors in the air on a lot of my quads when just playing around and they all fall fairly straight.

I think that's right. I've seen video footage of a CSC'd Inspire and it came straight down (scary fast) but didn't appear to be flipping over or around which at the time I thought a bit curious.

If anyone is crazy enough to try this just make note that after restarting the motors in mid air, the Inspire resets it's home point to that location and then the set maximum altitude increases as it starts from that height. So if home point is set at 100ft and max alt is 400 ft you'll be able to fly to 500 ft.

Thankfully an RTH doesn't park it at 100 ft though, it still landed safely.

Yeah I know, crazy but kept me amused today :)

Should I know what CSC means? haha google was no help to me on this one. I think it has to do with cutting the motors like mazz said? But what does it stand for?

I don't understand why people would want to move the sticks to that extreme in the first place. I only move my sticks approx 50% of the total movement this seems to be sufficient for speed, height gain, yaw and pitch.

I don't understand why people would want to move the sticks to that extreme in the first place. I only move my sticks approx 50% of the total movement this seems to be sufficient for speed, height gain, yaw and pitch.
exactly. A CSC command is not something you would do by accident, unless you're trying to fly upside down.

We regularly teach new drone owners who are not RC pilots, and given sticks that have a certain travel they'll just use it without thinking about potential "side effects" if they aren't made aware of them.
More stick = faster, and who doesn't want faster...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84