Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do you cache & save map in DJI pilot app ???

Reaction score
How do you cache a map & save it of different locations on iPad mini wifi only then retrieve it when you need to use location saved cheers Lui

How do you cache a map & save it of different locations on iPad mini wifi only then retrieve it when you need to use location saved cheers Lui

In the app under "General Settings" (gear symbol) go to "Turn on map caching." Note: You need to have WiFi access or cellular, if you have a cellular model. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and use lowest range that you wish to view to get greatest detail. Pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field.

In the app under "General Settings" (gear symbol) go to "Turn on map caching." Note: You need to have WiFi access or cellular, if you have a cellular model. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and use lowest range that you wish to view to get greatest detail. Pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field.
Where are the cached maps stored?

android version has no 'cached map in background' function.
But I have full google maps when using my Nvidia Shield with airplane mode on… must be cacheing map prior to leaving home while WIFI was on and I was moving around on pilot app. Strange that this works in android without the menu option as in ios.

Enjoy life and be nice

But I have full google maps when using my Nvidia Shield with airplane mode on… must be cacheing map prior to leaving home while WIFI was on and I was moving around on pilot app. Strange that this works in android without the menu option as in ios.

Enjoy life and be nice
What a relief to read this. Thank you.
After much deliberation over iOS vs. Android, I'm going with the Shield. I talked with a B&H tech today about the differences, and he confirmed my beliefs and research that the Shield blows the iOS tablets out of the water...and I'm not a gamer. The processor is totally superior to the A7 in the iOS offerings. I can't wait to get it.

Enjoy life and be nice
Another question for you, crashburn---are you using a sunshade? If so, which one?

Another question for you, crashburn---are you using a sunshade? If so, which one?
I'm not using a sunshade yet, just my Zeiss Cimemizer. I hook it to the hdmi port on the Nvidia instead of the hdmi on the rc, that way I get a screen mirror and can switch to map view, see if I'm recording, etc. Don't get this using the rc hdmi, although there is osd telemetry. The Nvidia screen is not as bright as ipad, but you can change it to native display instead of rgb, which brightens it up some. A sunshade would be necessary if only using the monitor with either the ipad or nvidia. I intend to get or make one soon. If you find a vendor, please post it.

Enjoy life and be nice

Another thing I like about the Nvidia, android, is that you can easily unlock the bootloader and root it. I've updated to Lolipop os, rooted, and removed or frozen unnecessary apps to minimize background processes and make the nvidia more efficient. It's fast enough without this, however.

I also have a 64gb sd in my nvidia, which you don't get with ipads… which also do not have the hdmi port.

Last edited:
I have what might be the dumbest question of the day.............

I have dual controllers. Can I mix OS's? (iPhone 6+ on one and an Android based tablet on the other?)

One thing I have noticed with the new iOS is it won't even load on an iPad mini (1). I know the Mini (1) will not work with almost any features for the Inspire, but the side loaded earlier iOS version did allow me to get some stick time in the simulator.

To add even more hardware after the initial purchase of the Inspire is going to require some low down, underhanded, sneaky, clandestine, dishonest, trickery on my part to sneak anything more into the house. :)

pops - I was able to fly and control the inspire with the app loaded on the mini (1). What did not work was the video feed. All the telemetry worked, as did the camera controls. All works perfectly on an iPhone 6+. I decided to order a Shield instead of another iPad.

When I try to install v1.0 on my mini (1), I get the message: "Cannot Download: This app is not compatible with your device.

It did load on the 6+ but it's a tad small for geezer eyes.

Another thing I like about the Nvidia, android, is that you can easily unlock the bootloader and root it. I've updated to Lolipop os, rooted, and removed or frozen unnecessary apps to minimize background processes and make the nvidia more efficient. It's fast enough without this, however.

I also have a 64gb sd in my nvidia, which you don't get with ipads… which also do not have the hdmi port.
Cash can you better explain what you do ...root it?

I have what might be the dumbest question of the day.............

I have dual controllers. Can I mix OS's? (iPhone 6+ on one and an Android based tablet on the other?)

One thing I have noticed with the new iOS is it won't even load on an iPad mini (1). I know the Mini (1) will not work with almost any features for the Inspire, but the side loaded earlier iOS version did allow me to get some stick time in the simulator.

To add even more hardware after the initial purchase of the Inspire is going to require some low down, underhanded, sneaky, clandestine, dishonest, trickery on my part to sneak anything more into the house. :)

Lol, You should adopt my approach towards the ongoing purchasing of drones and related equipment. It is based on the theory that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. It is also very good for your partner / wife to practise forgiveness, it really is quite character building. This said, I am on to my second wife, the first one got so good at forgiving everything I did she ran off and became a nun.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Cash can you better explain what you do ...root it?
If you've never rooted android devices, then this might be Greek to you.
See for starters

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2972316

Rooting is like jailbreaking apple devices, just gives you access to system level, ie root, files, which gives you power to control, delete, freeze, system apps and processes, as well as install other roms and kernels to achieve better performance and battery life.
On vacation in New Zealand….

Reactions: Mauro573
...enjoy life and be nice!
Thank you
If you have problem with installing su via side, you can copy the su zip to your internal sd, then use cwm to flash it. Kinda complicated, but like everything, it's easy once you've done it!
And if you think you've bricked your shield, just keep pressing the power key and it'll eventually boot up…. Then try again to root.
You'll need a couple if apps, like titanium backup and root exployer, after rooting, to make mods. One thing I did was to change the sound configuration file to increase the volume so now its very loud in the dji pilot app.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Sound complicate and may well be i' m not an "android" man. Sincerely i' m happy as it is. Don' t like too much the lollipop user interface but i think we will grt used to. Last option ROOT
Thanke crash...elabn
Mauro

What a relief to read this. Thank you.
After much deliberation over iOS vs. Android, I'm going with the Shield. I talked with a B&H tech today about the differences, and he confirmed my beliefs and research that the Shield blows the iOS tablets out of the water...and I'm not a gamer. The processor is totally superior to the A7 in the iOS offerings. I can't wait to get it.

The ipad air 2 with the A8x chip is much better then the shield in my mind for the inspire. i find its frame rate seems better in testing. android is dead last.. shield seemd to have a very slight skip when panning, i decided to go with ipad air 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop