Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How many Inspires have been sold in the US?

Reaction score
I've been wondering how many Inspires have been sold in the US? Has anyone seen any estimates?

Also how many users do we have here. I'm wondering how big a populations is generating these fly-away reports.

(trying to figure my odds.)

There are too many variables to get a meaningful probability factor. Read the forums and learn how to mitigate them from others mistakes.

I recommend checking out others checklists.

Reactions: Kilrah
Yes, that was pretty much my attitude until recently. It looked to me as though there was a strong probability of pilot error and poor procedures on most of the "flyaways" that I saw. But the newest one on the DJI Inspire forum headed "Inspire 1 Inverted Flight" has me worried.

I have asked the poster to start a thread here, and he says he will post a video of his tablet screen in-flight record tonight. If the flight record correlates with his description in the video I am going to have to shelf my Inspire until things get figured out. But I am waiting for the flight record. That will be key.

I see there are 8324 members of this group, so most of them probably have an Inspire, and I'm guessing 1/2 to 1/4 of all Inspire owners are on this forum, what do you think?

TL;DR 12.5% of inspired 1 pilots experience fly-away's.

Take this forum and the dji hosted forum and you'll have a good estimate. However, I'd assume only 30-50% of pilots get on the drone forums. A few other pilots I know are more into cinematography and don't post on the drone forums.

I saw a post on here about "400,000" drones being sold by DJI. Assume 80% are phantoms 1-3. Assume 10% are professional kits. That leaves another 10% for i1's, or 40,000. That seems high to me, honestly. At $2900 x 40,000 DJI would have been paid 116 million dollars in i1's alone (gross not net). BUT the company was valued at something like 8 billion dollars recently.
So maybe 116 million in i1's isn't ludicrous.

Also, if 8,000 pilots are on this forum, that's 20% of our assumed total i1 pilots in one place. But not all 8,000 have i1's. lets assume high and say 80% DO have the i1. So the inspired pilots have an assumed total of 6,400 i1's.

In additon, on the DJI inspire 1 forum it doesnt list total user numbers, but it does state 4,000 threads. Inspired Pilots has only 3,000 threads. So lets assume there are 30% more users on the DJI forums. That makes a total of 10,400 users on DJI forums. Albeit, half on DJI are probably also on Inspire Pilots. So the DJI forum has an assumed 5,200 unique users. Again, we assume 80% of them actually have the drones. That leaves us with 4,160 i1's unique to the DJI forum and 6,400 unique drones to the inspired pilots forum.

Totalling 10,560 i1 drones based on assumptions from users on the forums. That means about 25% of the total i1's from our original assumed volume of sales are represented on the forums. I'd say about 50% of the forum users experience failed flights/ fly-away's.

THUS: roughly 1/8 of all i1's experience fly-away's, or 12.5%. Now, this is just a made up number. But it sounds legit. So lets pretend I'm right.

Just watched the video you referenced. "OH NONONONONO" is something we never want to say, but the reality is real. I'm curious, this was the maiden flight, so many things could have been not checked. The fact it broke the beginner mode wall is super scary still!

Just watched the video you referenced. "OH NONONONONO" is something we never want to say, but the reality is real. I'm curious, this was the maiden flight, so many things could have been not checked. The fact it broke the beginner mode wall is super scary still!
Thanks..... That's a little different.

He didn't say he was definitely in beginner mode. Although he did say he was staying in a 30m bubble. (as beginner mode does).

I definitely not saying that this guy is lying. That's not the point of this comment. So please don't take me wrong on this.

But, assuming he had full control, descending at the fastest rate possible with the left control stick all the way downwards. Is it more likely, while descending at that speed, that an Inspire 1 can flip? It always seems to me that when the Inspire 1 is descending rapidly that it seems more unstable than at hover. I'm probably wrong on this, but that's just my observation.

On the DJI forums a user noted that it looks like one of the props comes off right at the moment it flips. I cannot confirm as I dont see this happen in the video. Yet, it would make some sense since the inversion occurs almost instantaneous.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I'm guessing there are around 80,000 inspire 1's in use currently. .
there have been 50,000 downloads of the pilot app from the play store to date..
im guessing ios has a similar amount..
I'm also guessing the failure rate is about .25 to .50 percent ..
I bet flyaways are even lower..

The app recognises the connected aircraft and enables the relevant settings/options/layouts respectively hides the irrelevant options.

That's why on here have been going "OMG look at that new option in the app" when no bird was connected, but once an Inspire is powered and connected the option disappears as it's only available for P3s.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Yes, that was pretty much my attitude until recently. It looked to me as though there was a strong probability of pilot error and poor procedures on most of the "flyaways" that I saw. But the newest one on the DJI Inspire forum headed "Inspire 1 Inverted Flight" has me worried.

I have asked the poster to start a thread here, and he says he will post a video of his tablet screen in-flight record tonight. If the flight record correlates with his description in the video I am going to have to shelf my Inspire until things get figured out. But I am waiting for the flight record. That will be key.

I see there are 8324 members of this group, so most of them probably have an Inspire, and I'm guessing 1/2 to 1/4 of all Inspire owners are on this forum, what do you think?
I had seen this video over on the other forum. The fact that it is the crafts maiden flight is quite telling I think.
It is more than likely faulty out of the box (it happens). To my knowledge there have been zero other reports of this.
I would be more concerned if it was his 74th flight or something and this happened.

Horrible incident though.

You guys did the math for me.... Thanks!

I thought the captions spread through the video covered most (all really) of the procedural things, and it looks like he did it right. We are still waiting for him to post the flight log, and that, with all its additional data will be a great help. There could have been a mistake, or it could point to a real problem.

I don't think a prop came off, he found it in landing mode, and so if it powered off, in landing mode I can visualize the props windmilling, and the heavy fuselage hanging underneath them.

I just watched the video for the first time..
I don't have ultimated data so I have to pick and choose what I watch..
I thought the video editing was great and that being said I would have liked to see a screen recoding of the flight to help determine what happened. .
Also I think thats crazy to actually see an inspire go nuts (if that's even what happened)
I would have like to see a video of the guy when it was flying way up ,with no imput on the sticks, to confirm it was malfunctioning. .
just seemed like anti dji propaganda which makes me believe that this might not be what it seems..just saying...
maybe it's the drone haters commission behind it trying to scare and detour people from buying dji's products. .
turbo..

Reactions: sirnikolas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop