Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How much does you Inspire drift

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if I am remembering things correctly or not. Just bought my second Inspire V2.0 (USED), sold my first one a little over a year ago. This seems to me to be moving around quite a bit. I know I use to be able to hover at maybe 2 feet off the ground, the new one will within 1 minute be sitting on the ground, it also moves around a lot, to me anyway, Just doesn't seem like it is locked in like I remembered them to be it drifts as much as 2 foot in any direction with no wind. I am also experiencing connectivity issues with my tablet. I have had many different drones Inspire, Yuneec Q500, Mavic Pro, and probably 10 - 15 that I built from scratch and I may be incorrect but my old Inspire, Mavic, and Q500 were darn near rock solid in the air.
The backstory on the used Inspire I bought,
The Inspire was crashed and had supposedly been sent back to DJI CARE, They replaced motors, Frame and Gimbal holder. I wasn't aware of this at the time of the purchase.
Let me know if I way out in left field on this one

Reactions: ernst
In ny opinion the Inspire's 1 visual positioning cannot be compared to the Mavics. The inspire is much more floating by default just because it's old tech.

Unfortunately even Inspire 2 cannot be compared to Mavic tech.

Beside that you can try and calibrate everything. Then try hovering at 2-3m altitude over more readable ground surface just to convince yourself that everything is ok. Sometimes even I get suspicious about mine but on the next day on different time and place it is rock solid.

So in my opinion it's all about the location and the wheather (if there is no hardware problem). Usually if there is a turbulence in the air then the Inspire 1 hovering is not stable but as I said it is old tech. The Mavic is much higher tech and can even recognize air turbulence.

Thanks, I thought maybe I was remembering the Mavic and thinking the Inspire was the same, but my last Inspire didn't drift near as bad as this one. This one will lose altitude to the point that I have to apply throttle to keep it from landing.

I would have to say mine is pretty rocksolid. I can hover a foot off the ground and it may drift a few inches. On a calm day it will stay put.

Reactions: Jim Weist
My Inspire 1.2 R has always been rock solid even in a decent crosswind ... until today, when things got ugly.Will reviews posts to see if this is a new issue, may start a new thread.

I would have to say mine is pretty rocksolid. I can hover a foot off the ground and it may drift a few inches. On a calm day it will stay put.
That's because it isn't using GPS at that height. It is utilising VPS.

I am trying to figure out if I am remembering things correctly or not. Just bought my second Inspire V2.0 (USED), sold my first one a little over a year ago. This seems to me to be moving around quite a bit. I know I use to be able to hover at maybe 2 feet off the ground, the new one will within 1 minute be sitting on the ground, it also moves around a lot, to me anyway, Just doesn't seem like it is locked in like I remembered them to be it drifts as much as 2 foot in any direction with no wind. I am also experiencing connectivity issues with my tablet. I have had many different drones Inspire, Yuneec Q500, Mavic Pro, and probably 10 - 15 that I built from scratch and I may be incorrect but my old Inspire, Mavic, and Q500 were darn near rock solid in the air.
The Inspire was crashed and had supposedly been sent back to DJI CARE, They replaced motors, Frame and Gimbal holder. I wasn't aware of this at the time of the purchase.
Drifting
Drifting problems with Inspire 1
Inspire 1 Pro Black Edition - Brand New & Drifting left and right bad!?
Inspire 1 Drifting vertically
Yesterday my Inspire started drifting
Drifting in hover
Drifting after firmware update

DFink,
I'm pretty new to flying drones (past two years). I've got Insprie1, 2 and Mavic Air.

I'm glad I came across your post as I thought it must be me and my lack of situational experience but my Inspire 2 has been awful... The bit about having to add throttle so as not to land (or crash!) I've had on several occasions.

I tried to do a shot match on a still windless day in open country the other week and it was near impossible - it was actually embarrassing as I had the DoP stood next to me, I'm in the right position and we've got the I2 "slushing" around ... It's almost like there's a 2 meter bubble around it and any point within that 2m is considered 'within tolerance'... Indeed the DJI reseller I bought the drone from actually said this to me when I questioned the quality of the craft I'd been sold.

I have recalibrated the IMU on multiple occasions and I've had it serviced by an authorised DJI centre, where it passed all tests.

Like you I had a better experience in terms of stability with the Inspire 1.

I'd like to hear some more feedback on this.

Between me and my partner, we own 3 Inspire 1's and 3 P4P's. Honestly, we used to be amazed at how well the Inspire flew. Now I own a Mavic Pro and a P4P and my partner owns 2 P4P's. And I must say a new standard in flying stability has been set. Going BACK to the Inspire, the thing seems squirly as hell. It drifts all over the place. Response is slow. Dare I say, it's becoming somewhat of a dinosaur. It's still solid by previous standards. The problem is that the standards have changed. We still use the Inspire when cinematic excellence is demanded (dual operator). But for anything else, we use the P4P's.

D

Reactions: Bigdz
My Inspire Pro has never been "rock solid" in the air, but I I think that's a very subjetive term that depends on the user's standards, experience and expectations.

Between me and my partner, we own 3 Inspire 1's and 3 P4P's. Honestly, we used to be amazed at how well the Inspire flew. Now I own a Mavic Pro and a P4P and my partner owns 2 P4P's. And I must say a new standard in flying stability has been set. Going BACK to the Inspire, the thing seems squirly as hell. It drifts all over the place. Response is slow. Dare I say, it's becoming somewhat of a dinosaur. It's still solid by previous standards. The problem is that the standards have changed. We still use the Inspire when cinematic excellence is demanded (dual operator). But for anything else, we use the P4P's.

D
That is exactly what I thought I was doing, comparing the Mavics stability to the Inspires lack of it. I remember I was so confident with the Mavic I let my nephew fly it and he had never touched any sort of drone before, the Inspire requires a little bit more attention in my opinion.

Our Inspire 1 has always been pretty stable. When I launch, I usually go up to maybe 10-15 feet immediately, since I never shoot video or photos 2' off the ground. I check the craft's responsiveness at 10-15', go through all the other checks using the controller and iPad. Then I fly around just a little bit where I am to be sure the craft is OK. It has always responded well no matter where I am in Texas and this state is larger than some countries. The air brake is amazing, stops the Inspire 1 in a couple feet or so. I was with a colleague recently who bought a Mavic Pro. I was amazed at how rock steady it was...low to the ground. Then we flew on a somewhat windy day. He had a lot of trouble. The Inspire 1 had no trouble with the wind. That's why we like it. Honestly, I wish I has both the Inspire 1 and Mavic Pro but my boss won't spend the money. So, if I'm stuck with one, I'm glad it's the Inspire 1. Our bigger issue is how the video signal seems to drop out for no reason even when I'm line-of-sight with the aircraft, only a few hundred feet away from it and at an altitude of 100' or so. I can still fly the drone but can't see an image. So, I move it around some and the signal comes back. Before I convince the boss to get a Mavic, I'd rather convince him to buy us a new, long range antenna.

I had my inspire 1 in storage for 6 months and I’ve been using my Mavic Pro ever since. I think I got used to the Mavic Pro being super steady And i feel that my inspire 1 is very drifts but I realized I can’t compare the Mavic Pro with the inspire 1 because Mavic Pro has redundancy features which makes it very very stable in the air unlike the inspire 1 it’s an old technology and doesn’t have the redundancy feature. My inspire 1 also drifts very much when it’s about 3-4 feet in the air maybe because it’s using vps and not gps but once it’s get more than 6 feet it’s rock solid even with some wind.

When hovering 3 feet off the ground The inspire is going to create more proper wash than the Mavic pro.

Our Inspire 1 has always been pretty stable. When I launch, I usually go up to maybe 10-15 feet immediately, since I never shoot video or photos 2' off the ground. I check the craft's responsiveness at 10-15', go through all the other checks using the controller and iPad. Then I fly around just a little bit where I am to be sure the craft is OK. It has always responded well no matter where I am in Texas and this state is larger than some countries. The air brake is amazing, stops the Inspire 1 in a couple feet or so. I was with a colleague recently who bought a Mavic Pro. I was amazed at how rock steady it was...low to the ground. Then we flew on a somewhat windy day. He had a lot of trouble. The Inspire 1 had no trouble with the wind. That's why we like it. Honestly, I wish I has both the Inspire 1 and Mavic Pro but my boss won't spend the money. So, if I'm stuck with one, I'm glad it's the Inspire 1. Our bigger issue is how the video signal seems to drop out for no reason even when I'm line-of-sight with the aircraft, only a few hundred feet away from it and at an altitude of 100' or so. I can still fly the drone but can't see an image. So, I move it around some and the signal comes back. Before I convince the boss to get a Mavic, I'd rather convince him to buy us a new, long range antenna.
Before investing in a long range antenna you might try changing your "HD" settings to use a specific clear Channel instead of Auto. In some settings I find that operating under the Auto setting for Image Transmission Channel yields very unreliable video transmission (frozen screens, green bands, etc), and switching to a manually selected channel has always cleared it up unless there is some very strong local source of RF interference and no clear channels are available. I suspect that the poor performance of Auto is not because it picks a bad channel, but because it is skipping around trying to stay on the best one, and the channel switching is causing problems for my display device.

I'll also add my vote to the chorus above that, compared to my Mavic and P4P, my I1 Pro is a much less stable flying platform (I fly commercial and have over 200 hours of I1 flight time). I think of the I1 as being like a truck, while my other drones feel more like well tuned family sedans.

A couple weeks ago i fired the old flame up, did a few laps, landed and she refused to shut down.

Had to a find stick to shut her off. Sheesh
Nothing more dangerous than an Inspire scorned, you should never neglect it for ANY amount of time :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry