Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How to compete?

All, good advice... the line "Always sell quality never sell cheap" prompts me to add my 2 ¢...

In a former life I was a SCUBA instructor working all over the world, for the sheer thrill of it as there is precious little money in it... (folks will tip their golf caddy $100 but jump off the boat after being down 60-80 ft in potential life threatening environment with nary a glance back at the instructor/guide...) but I also digress...

So I started "consulting" at SCUBA stores and resorts - dive stores are invariably owned by divers who thought it a great idea to work at what they love to do - dive, they are not business people. (Like the OP here... do what you love and you'll never have to "work" again, or something like that) again digressing... - it's contagious Donnie.

Not being business people, when a competitor opens up in their town what is the first thing that happens... there begins a price war and each store starts lowering their prices and essentially drive each other out of business. When I go in to one of these situations my first piece of advice is to RAISE their prices.

This gets the consumer to question, "What is he teaching that is worth double what this other store is teaching?"
Ultimately all a consumer wants is VALUE...

And another point... the realtor is also liable for any illegal flights... and can be fined for hiring a non certified pilot. I have this link on my website...

As others have said, get DaVinci Resolve learn how to use it, practice flying, Get Litchi learn some dramatic angles etc, produce quality and they will pay. If not you didn't need them anyway... My favorite clients are my monthly accounts.... construction progresss... (Yearly contract - 1/2 up front) my next mission is to solicit an upscale golf resort... should be fun.

Good luck and aloha...

.....In a former life I was a SCUBA instructor .......

I did that for 5 years.....worked up to IDC Staff Instructor at a 5 Star IDC Center......the owner was/is a Course Director. Was a lot of fun especially setting up a boat operation in Cozumel....and really good bank as a side hustle... until the bottom dropped out in 2009 and “discretionary income” vanished....class sizes shrank to the point some didn’t make....and when it started costing me money to do a class of 2 students....I was out. By that time I only ran Rescue/Divemaster/Asst Instructor levels and Deep/Wreck/Night/Cavern specialties and Rec/Tec mixed gas. The Open Water and Advanced Open Water Plus all the other specialties were done by the OWSI’s and MSDT’s.

I miss it.....sometimes....but not enough to go back to it.....

All, good advice... the line "Always sell quality never sell cheap" prompts me to add my 2 ¢...

In a former life I was a SCUBA instructor working all over the world, for the sheer thrill of it as there is precious little money in it... (folks will tip their golf caddy $100 but jump off the boat after being down 60-80 ft in potential life threatening environment with nary a glance back at the instructor/guide...) but I also digress...

So I started "consulting" at SCUBA stores and resorts - dive stores are invariably owned by divers who thought it a great idea to work at what they love to do - dive, they are not business people. (Like the OP here... do what you love and you'll never have to "work" again, or something like that) again digressing... - it's contagious Donnie.

Not being business people, when a competitor opens up in their town what is the first thing that happens... there begins a price war and each store starts lowering their prices and essentially drive each other out of business. When I go in to one of these situations my first piece of advice is to RAISE their prices.

This gets the consumer to question, "What is he teaching that is worth double what this other store is teaching?"
Ultimately all a consumer wants is VALUE...

And another point... the realtor is also liable for any illegal flights... and can be fined for hiring a non certified pilot. I have this link on my website...

As others have said, get DaVinci Resolve learn how to use it, practice flying, Get Litchi learn some dramatic angles etc, produce quality and they will pay. If not you didn't need them anyway... My favorite clients are my monthly accounts.... construction progresss... (Yearly contract - 1/2 up front) my next mission is to solicit an upscale golf resort... should be fun.

Good luck and aloha...

Where about in Hawaii are you located?

BTW......this is a no-no......doesn’t matter if there’s compensation involved....if it’s in furtherance of the business, gotta have that 107.
It's actually even stricter than that. It's not just "furtherance of a business". If you are doing ANYTHING that is not hobby or recreation you need a 107 ticket. So... volunteer S&R is out too as a good group in Texas found out.

Fortunately we work for production companies that require all sorts of paperwork be in order... the 107 is just a piece of it. They need insurance for multiple entities as well as workers comp insurance. You also can't get permits to fly without proper paperwork. So... Caltrans, counties, cities and many other entities all need to see all that paperwork including the 107.

I feel for you, it’s been the same with the photographic industry, some of us spent years learning at the feet of others and learnt the business costing as well as the imaging side of it.
Then digital cameras came out and the down turn in the economies and every one with a job became a “pro” photographer every weekend. No insurance, no overheads, no worries and cheap prices as they had no costs to take into consideration.
I would you suggest you bail out now while you can, the equipment is devaluing every day and the legislation is blatantly ignored, and the authorities also seem to ignore reports of illegal work, so you are in a no win situation.
Regards from England
Alistair
Karma's going to catch up with them. They are going to crash or somebody's going to make a complaint against them. They will be investigated and they will get a fine that will be thousand of dollars. Good luck and try to stick with it. You could probably catch them yourself by Hiring them or get someone to hire them and then they can be reported. I would look into this if it's going to cost you your business.

Reactions: rbycapri
It's been this way in the greater video production business for a long time. Over the past couple of decades, I've heard lots of grumbling from established companies who get caught up in a race to the bottom with cheaper/newfangled outfits. Typically, they don't do much about it but continue to grumble and lose business.

Instead, they should be sharpening their toolset, skills, and techniques. Take some of that grumbling time and use it to hire better operators, concentrate harder on marketing efforts (SEO, especially), force additional face time with clients and potential clients, build a better demo reel, educate themselves about new gear and use techniques, and just generally anything that's progressive toward the needs of their business. It never ceases to amaze me how people squander their time worrying about what other people are doing rather than working on their own efforts.

I can see how it's tempting to doubt one's own investment, especially after some dire mistakes, but it's like Yoda says - "Do or do not. There is no try." Get over it and move on - double-down on your commitment to succeed or sell and get out. Don't find yourself waffling around in the middle, because that's a sure loser.

It takes time. The BBB says most new businesses fail the first year (or something like that). I began in 2015 w/ a 333 and saw my first profit in 2017. Real estate is a loser. I extended into construction panoramas and that's the bulk of my business.

Now, the issue of illegal operators is a different cat to skin. Some will tell you to ignore it. I will not. If I came across an unlicensed (or uncertificated) operator blowing off the rules I would report the business with all identifying info. to the FSDO. But that's just me.
I agree with you 1 hundred percent. I don't have a 107 license and I would not take a chance on being cought. I think it's disgusting because you guys have had to spend money to get your license and it's not an easy test and took a lot of time studying for the test and people are just starting business without a license. I used my drone today to find a pipe and I refused to be paid for it and I told them I have only a hobbyist license that is on my drone and phone number and address. I had to tell them I can't take any money not even a tip. I think these people should be reported Immediately. It's the people who are not following the rules and regulations that are saying not to worry about it. I do plumbing and I get asked if I do side jobs all the time and I tell them no because I don't have insurance and they always try to give me 50 dollars for a thousand dollar job.

.....I used my drone today to find a pipe and I refused to be paid for it and I told them I have only a hobbyist license that is on my drone and phone number and address. I had to tell them I can't take any money not even a tip......

You can’t do this @Joe Perez .....it doesn’t matter if payment is made or not....if it’s in furtherance of business, you must have your 107. You used your drone for a commercial operation as an unlicensed operator.

You can’t do this @Joe Perez .....it doesn’t matter if payment is made or not....if it’s in furtherance of business, you must have your 107. You used your drone for a commercial operation as an unlicensed operator.
This had nothing to do with work we knew where the pipe where. I was on a small aluminum boat and I knew the pipes were under water and I basically was just flying around. This had nothing to do with work. Nothing about it was illegal because I knew I was not going to see it anyway. It's no different what I was doing I was looking to see how big the lake was and I could see the drone the whole time.

This had nothing to do with work we knew where the pipe where. I was on a small aluminum boat and I knew the pipes were under water and I basically was just flying around. This had nothing to do with work. Nothing about it was illegal because I knew I was not going to see it anyway. It's no different what I was doing I was looking to see how big the lake was and I could see the drone the whole time.
"Work" is not the criteria for needing a 107. "Not hobby or recreation" is.

"Furtherance of a business" is an incomplete 107 requirement. There are many other things that are not "furtherance of a business" that do require a 107.

"Work" is not the criteria for needing a 107. "Not hobby or recreation" is.
This had nothing to do with business I only bought it with me to show my friend how to zoom in and other things. This is the most Ridiculous thing that I'm using my mavic pro to teach someone how to use their own drone. I don't even have any video footage of the lake because it's was not worth filming. We had a lot of time to waste because we had to jet gutter lines that go to a dry well. It was just something to do. I understand what some people are doing but what I did was absolutely not illegal. Every time someone says what they did it's illegal and this sight is so critical of any little thing. Would you use your drone to try to look for your dog I'm sure you would say It's. If anyone is making money without a 107 license it's illegal and what I did your completely wrong. It sounds like if you film anything it's illegal. This is out of control of what you're saying.

Reactions: Akoni
And I was not asked to look for this pipe I was just wondering if it came out of the other side of the lake. I was not there for that reason I was just wasting time.
Got it. You are right. But to see how crazy the FAA is, looking for your dog would require a 107. Looking for a lost dog is not a hobby or recreation. How crazy is that? Volunteer S&R in Texas ran afoul of this.

Reactions: Joe Perez
Looking for your dog or a person would be illegal and you would need a 107 license
That's ridicules. They have gotten out of control with their rules and regulations. I have a hobby license and I think they should send a book or a pamphlet so we know what all the regulations are. I wouldn't have mind to spend $30 dollars for this. It's a pain in the *** but every state and town has different regulations and when you go online it's a pain in the *** to find the right sight your supposed to be on. You end up with all this other junk before you find what you're looking for.

Looking for your dog or a person would be illegal and you would need a 107 license
That's ridicules. They have gotten out of control with their rules and regulations. I have a hobby license and I think they should send a book or a pamphlet so we know what all the regulations are. I wouldn't have mind to spend $30 dollars for this. It's a pain in the *** but every state and town has different regulations and when you go online it's a pain in the *** to find the right sight your supposed to be on. You end up with all this other junk before you find what you're looking for.
I follow all the regulations but if it came down to a human life I would have to break the rules. I'm sure that it would never happen but a human is more important than regulations. Other than that I have never done anything wrong or stupid. I don't want to be the one to add on more regulations we have enough of them and the dumbest thing is drones are way safer than plains.

.....I used my drone today to find a pipe and I refused to be paid for it and I told them I have only a hobbyist license that is on my drone and phone number and address. I had to tell them I can't take any money not even a tip. ....

**** dude, take a chill pill. This is what you said and it was all I had to go on. It implies that you used your drone to find a pipe for someone, for a commercial reason as you had to tell them you wouldn’t be paid or even tipped. That means someone offered to pay you to do something with your drone. All of that implies a commercial transaction occurred wether you knew it, or intended it, or not.

That’s all...if it didn’t happen that way, fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth