Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How to land in tall grass?

Reaction score
Any tips on landing in slightly taller grass..landed my Inspire today and the propeller caught the grass a bit..

Yeah that's what I was thinking I needed as I was trying to land..the camera sensors on the i1automatically detect you are landing even when you are landing manually and shut down the motors when you land correct? Or do I need to pull both sticks in and down to kill motors every time I land manually on the plywood?

Yeah that's what I was thinking I needed as I was trying to land..the camera sensors on the i1automatically detect you are landing even when you are landing manually and shut down the motors when you land correct? Or do I need to pull both sticks in and down to kill motors every time I land manually on the plywood?
No, do not do a CSC command when you land, you run the risk of tipping the Inspire over if your timing is a little off. Simply holding down the throttle for a couple of seconds upon landing will initiate motor shutdown.

Awesome, thank you! Any idea on how to get smoothed out pans with the gimbal in single operator mode? Using the gimbal tilt control wheel the gimbal really starts panning up abruptly and then stops abruptly..

In dual operator mode can you adjust the curves of the gimbal acceleration into and out of tils/pans and yaws? Or does it always jerk start and stop like that?

You can ajust Gimbal speed in the gimbal settings. Also the gimbal wheel on rc has like a 2 speed control too

Is there any way to adjust the ramping speed of the gimbal speed curve? I'm wondering if you can smooth out the start and stop of a slow tilt up when you are flying low to ground for a reveal shot and want to tilt up slowly without a jerk?

Take a look at my landing pad. Size is 60"x60", custom design and made to order. Very easy to spot from the distance. Printed on thick lino, quite heavy, really safe to use when Inspire taking-off/landing in strong wind scenarios. Big enough to land FPV with the Headplay HD still on, when obstacles around are not an issue: gimball centered 90° downwards, IMG_20151029_103508_edit.jpg I am used to align the center of the attitude indicator with the red crosshair in the H of the landing pad.

I have a similar Roll of Rubber in "checker plate" pattern, that I've adde reflective black/yellow tape around the outside, and through the centre in a cross. I unroll it where I want to land.
The bird seems to find the stripes easy to lock onto with the visual positioning system, as landings are vastly smoother when using it.
It was my first prototype, so future versions will probably be better, but having something to land on helps heaps with gravel, sand, grass, etc.

I can take off and land from the roof or the bonnet of my Defender 110. Tried that several times and it works fine. The full aluminium body has its advantages. I'm thinking about making a custom landing pad that folds out and attaches to the bonnet. Could even sit on the roof and be clear of anything. I have checker board on the bonnet allowing me or my observer to stand on a raised position. That car takes me wherever I need to be without getting dirty or wet feet. And it acts as a mobile hangar.

Not a solution for everybody of course, but I just tried to make good use of what I already have. And it is going to look very cool. I'm going to do the same with my console boat, to use it as a maritime take off and landing platform.

The problem with this one is that if the aircraft slips off the pad on landing, for whatever reason, the props become a spade...not good.

I have been taking off and landing from this or a similar pad for over 100 flights. I need a portable pad because of areas we fly from that have rocks, debris, snow, dirt or what ever else. There are times when its windy its hard to place my bird down. That's why I am updating to a 48" round 1ft leg table. I will make the legs adjustable in height also, maybe with landing lights around the perimeter for our night flights :)

How do I get one of these?

Take a look at my landing pad. Size is 60"x60", custom design and made to order. Very easy to spot from the distance. Printed on thick lino, quite heavy, really safe to use when Inspire taking-off/landing in strong wind scenarios. Big enough to land FPV with the Headplay HD still on, when obstacles around are not an issue: gimball centered 90° downwards, View attachment 4318 I am used to align the center of the attitude indicator with the red crosshair in the H of the landing pad.

Is there any way to adjust the ramping speed of the gimbal speed curve? I'm wondering if you can smooth out the start and stop of a slow tilt up when you are flying low to ground for a reveal shot and want to tilt up slowly without a jerk?

I don't think you can. Just make it a habit of starting the pan a little before what you actually want, and a little after. Cut the clip down in post.

I don't think you can. Just make it a habit of starting the pan a little before what you actually want, and a little after. Cut the clip down in post.
Yes there is...... @Forrest Dein in the gimbal setting there is an option for expo and also gimbal slow/start stop (I can't remember what it is called right now).
It basically adds bezier curves to give you a slow start/stop at the beginning and end of the move. Couple this with carefully feathering your finger movements on the wheel and nicely controlled movements can be achieved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar