Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How to mount the X5 to Inspire 1 - Video

Very interesting although rather simplistic.

I noticed that the new unit-vibration mount is screw mounted to the I1 airframe rather than using the rubber shock absorbers directly. There was no guidance on how tight these screws should be to avoid losing a very expensive accessory.

I was not impressed in the way the 'high heels' are secured with double-sided sticky pads. They expect you to lose them because there are 6 in the anti-vibration plate kit (see DJI shop).

Reactions: Outta Control
In typical chinese manner they misspelled "Tutorial". IN THE INTRO!!! I fixed it for you DJI.

It hurts my brain to think about how such a large company can make these amateur mistakes - and if this is the attention DJI pay to detail, how does that trickle down on their products?

Attachments

• tutorial.jpg
    tutorial.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
High heels secured by double sided sticky tape= PAH.....

You gotta be kidding right?

Cutting edge camera-check,cutting edge UAV-check,high heels secured by double sided sticky tape-cutting errrrrrrdge!!!

Why don't they save money and not bother with high heels secured by sticky tape and let users "gaffer tape" empty toilet rolls to each heel for that totally ghetto diy look.

Please,please engineer SOMETHING,ANYTHING bolt,washer but not sticky tape!!!!

April fool is but 6 months away.

DJI you have got to do better its like having the Mona Lisa in a PVC frame.

Reactions: howard rockliffe
Wow, this is getting just a bit weird. Apparently, some of you can't find a single thing pertaining to the X5 that isn't subject to ridicule:
Misspelled "Tutorial" in the installation video (this is worthy of a post to point this out :rolleyes:).
Sticky tape to fix the longer heels (If you don't like the solution invent your own! FYI, all the Spreading Wings FCs and other hardware is mounted with sticky tape on the frame also).

It's the silly season between product announcement and product release, when all the "expert commentators" are free to pontificate on a product they've not seen in the flesh or used in the field but feel compelled to comment upon, anyway. I know that's the nature of these forums, but that doesn't make it any easier to abide. Full disclosure: I've ordered the X5 and Olympus 12 mm lens, so I'm all in, but I'm no DJI fan boy.

P.S. I know I'll get flamed for bringing this up, and I don't mean to start an argument, but I feel that perspective on this product has been lost. Let's wait for actual real world trials and results before sharing opinions not based on them.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Wow, this is getting just a bit weird. Apparently, some of you can't find a single thing pertaining to the X5 that isn't subject to ridicule:
Misspelled "Tutorial" in the installation video (this is worthy of a post to point this out :rolleyes:).....

It IS worth mentioning. It says a lot about a company and it's attention to detail not doing a proper review before posting an important tutorial

And obviously the mention has nothing to do with my opinion of the X5, which I bought too, and which I have no reason to think will be anything but a great update.

No do not worry your comments are not inflammatory.

Just a different point of view.

Do you really think sticky tape to attach heels is professional,robust or even the best solution?

My point of view is I am buying a rtf uav not a diy uav.

Would you be happy if you bought a car went to upgrade and as part of the upgrade you had to stick tape on the extended mirrors?

Hand on heart is sticky tape the best way to secure a mission critical piece of kit to expensive inspire?

Yes I am with you when it comes to nitpicking however I would say a stable landing platform is pretty essential!!

Thoughts?

I remember when Canon 5D Mark III came to market, and light was leaking through the upper display into the metering system, making the camera expose differently if light was hitting the display.

Canon fixed it by using electric tape (black tape) inside the camera. Cheap solution but it worked.

Do you really think sticky tape to attach heels is professional,robust or even the best solution?

As a former CEO of an international manufacturing company and industrial product engineer, yes, double-stick tape of several types are used in many aeronautical, automotive, marine, aerospace and industrial applications far more demanding than this. Please understand that it is not the tape concept itself, it is the specification of the glue/adhesive and substrate for a particular purpose.

Call up your local 3M rep and they can supply whatever level of "hold" or adhesion and permanency required by your application. That would be the question to pose to DJI -- what spec is the double-stick tape? Assuming their engineers procured it from a reliable supplier who knew what the application was, there is no need to worry.

On the other hand, if you intend to "fly" your I1 in the water a lot, the spec for the adhesion may not have been for an underwater application, but in all likelihood would be specced for use in rain.

Still not sold on sticky tape as best method of securing a mission critical piece of kit.

I mean yes I have not seen it with regards to durability etc but you do not need a kick in the nuts to know its sore!!!

Thats my take on it I and will wager now that some one loses a "heel" on landing/take off or however you want to skin it with the resulting after math of woe told ad lib on here.

"If only DJI had not used a £1 piece of sticky tape my £1800 Camera would still be intact instead of resembling an expensive rattle........" etc,etc.

Any takers?

At least they are give us a way to retrofit our aircraft to the new camera without having to send it to the factory or buy a new one... They could of easily came out with a new modal and left us all holding the bag. I am super stoked for this new camera its a game changer...

Totally agree with X5 camera.

Just do not get the sticky tape "solution" I feel it is 100% a game changer.

Am I missing something?

DJI launched this instruction video of how to mount the X5 to the Inspire 1.

Looks like it will take a few more steps to mount the camera before every flight:
The video says it has been removed by user. Does anyone have a new link?

The video says it has been removed by user. Does anyone have a new link?

Someone at DJI got mad a me for making a little joke out of their mispelling in the original tutorial:

But DJI fixed it and reposted the corrected version here:

They banned me from a Facebook user group because of the same post in that group, so even though I'm sorry to hear there's no room for jokes, I'm happy to see that DJI follows up. And just to clarify: I'm a big DJI fan and also bought the X5 and looking forward to using it.

Someone at DJI got mad a me for making a little joke out of their mispelling in the original tutorial:

But DJI fixed it and reposted the corrected version here:

They banned me from a Facebook user group because of the same post in that group, so even though I'm sorry to hear there's no room for jokes, I'm happy to see that DJI follows up. And just to clarify: I'm a big DJI fan and also bought the X5 and looking forward to using it.
Someone mentioned something about another step to mount the x3 but from this video it looks like it just mounts where the x5 does. Is this correct?

DJI launched this instruction video of how to mount the X5 to the Inspire 1.

Looks like it will take a few more steps to mount the camera before every flight:
what are the "Few more steps to mount the camera before every flight" that you mentioned? To me it looks like once the new mounting plate is on, the camera mounts the same way the x3 did.

The Zenmuse X5 user manual is now available from the DJI.com website. Interestingly it gives details on a 'balancing ring' required for each of the approved lens and the weight requirements for filters to perform the same role. It mentions that a balancing ring for the alternative Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm will be available 'shortly'.

Last edited:
what are the "Few more steps to mount the camera before every flight" that you mentioned? To me it looks like once the new mounting plate is on, the camera mounts the same way the x3 did.
Sensor protection cap removal, lens fitting, lens cap removal, fit balancing ring, fit lens hood - none of these steps are required for the X3.

Reactions: dronie
How about the fact that once you add the high heels your inspire will not fit back in the original case!! Hope they offer an updated case for sale.

How about the fact that once you add the high heels your inspire will not fit back in the original case!! Hope they offer an updated case for sale.

some good quality velcro might be a worthwhile replacement for the sticky tape, and you could just pop them off and on.

worth a shot anyhow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters