Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 advantages over I1 Raw - Summary anyone?

Reaction score
Would anyone habe time to give me the best reasons to upgrade from I1 Raw to I2 with X5S please? I'm looking for real world, in the field experiences rather than paper specs. Especially regarding imaging quality, flight stability, reliability/functionality. Many thanks.

I will try:

Advantages for the I2 over I1

1) longer flight time for the I2
2) True FPV and collision avoidance for the I2
3) Ability to "hot swap" I2 batteries in mid job without having to shut down the rig and restart

Past that I think one gets into quibbling about image quality, ProRes, etc and I'm not so sure they are tangible. I watched a video on Cenima5D (I think) where 4 producer/directors watched a film and tried to guess which camera was used to shoot each scene and they were notoriously incorrect so, my personal belief is we tend to make far too much out of what are fairly trivial differences between cameras so I won't go into comparisons between the X5R and X5S.

I just made this upgrade. The Dr.'s 1) and 2) match mine, but my 3) is ProRes. Raw video is neat, but it is a royal pain in the *** to work with. ProRes gives you 97% of the quality that raw does, but is infinitely easier to work with.

And if you insist, the raw option is still there. But I bought the ProRes license, tried it out, and decided not to buy the CinemaDNG license.

And now 4) is the X7 camera, which I just got. And even though I agree that we put too much weight on camera specs, I still believe that we need to put some weight on camera specs. And the X7 is a big step up from the X5R.

Thanks both; that's incredibly helpful when you're digging beneath the marketing blurb and spec sheets. The X5 Raw camera is 'good enough' for my environment - stock imagery; and a 'better' image wouldn't necessarily increase sales. Can either of you comment on stability/flight accuracy/characteristics between the two? The I2 must be carrying quite a bit more weight than I1 but I believe the motor power is not dissimilar.. Thanks again.

They are very similar in the air but, in my opinion, the I1 is perhaps more precise on the controls and has some features the I2 simply doesn't have. The I2 is just so "Mercedes" like in the way it feels and flies. I use a Cendence RC on mine and it's always predictable, super strong signal just from the whip ant. and super handy for single operators since it incorporates so much of the imbedded functions in the app into easy to access buttons and wheels. The software differences between the two are minor. I can't really come up with any other significant differences off the top of my head.

Reactions: DamesNY
They are very similar in the air but, in my opinion, the I1 is perhaps more precise on the controls and has some features the I2 simply doesn't have. The I2 is just so "Mercedes" like in the way it feels and flies. I use a Cendence RC on mine and it's always predictable, super strong signal just from the whip ant. and super handy for single operators since it incorporates so much of the imbedded functions in the app into easy to access buttons and wheels. The software differences between the two are minor. I can't really come up with any other significant differences off the top of my head.

To expand on this since I am kicking tires on getting an Inspire 2 - you mention the flight characteristics are a little more dull (i.e. mercedes-benz like). Does this mean the craft has sacrificed some agility for overall smoothness?

One of my biggest problems with our Inspire 1 that drives me nuts is that it is impossible to fly in a straight line manually. If you jam the stick forward it will move at a pretty severe angle to the left or right, then you will over compensate to bring it back, etc. etc... This makes it super difficult to achieve straight ahead shots.

Does the Inspire 2 have this same issue, or when you point the stick forward does it actually move straight forward?

I have both I1 & I2 and plan to keep both.

However, the I2 is far superior in terms of speed and accuracy of control. Add to this the extra reliability offered by dual batteries, IMU & compass, etc. and I can’t imagine anyone preferring the I1 over the I2. Image wise both units are similar but even here the I2 wins with its inclusion if the more data friendly Pro-res encoding.

Buy an I2 .....

To expand on this since I am kicking tires on getting an Inspire 2 - you mention the flight characteristics are a little more dull (i.e. mercedes-benz like). Does this mean the craft has sacrificed some agility for overall smoothness?

One of my biggest problems with our Inspire 1 that drives me nuts is that it is impossible to fly in a straight line manually. If you jam the stick forward it will move at a pretty severe angle to the left or right, then you will over compensate to bring it back, etc. etc... This makes it super difficult to achieve straight ahead shots.

Does the Inspire 2 have this same issue, or when you point the stick forward does it actually move straight forward?
In all difference to other posters, I feel the Inspire 1 is a bit faster and tighter on the controls. When I say the Inspire 2 is Mercedes like I mean it's very neutral on the sticks and super forgiving in the air. Not a detraction but, if there is a Ferrari in the air for this class of UAVs it's the Inspire 1. The Inspire 2 is more refined and neutral. I recently trained a pilot for a local production company who had to train on the Inspire 1 because that's what they would be flying in Africa on their final shoot. On one day we were training and I was flying the Inspire 2 while he was on the Inspire 1. I couldn't keep up with him or maneuver as quickly. Does it make a difference in our jobs, maybe once in a blue moon. But, it's noticeable in my opinion. All that said, if you can afford the Inspire 2, go for it. If the Inspire 1 is closer to your budget, pull the trigger. You won't be sorry with either.

What flight modes where each in? ATTI? Same gain settings?

In all difference to other posters, I feel the Inspire 1 is a bit faster and tighter on the controls. When I say the Inspire 2 is Mercedes like I mean it's very neutral on the sticks and super forgiving in the air. Not a detraction but, if there is a Ferrari in the air for this class of UAVs it's the Inspire 1. The Inspire 2 is more refined and neutral. I recently trained a pilot for a local production company who had to train on the Inspire 1 because that's what they would be flying in Africa on their final shoot. On one day we were training and I was flying the Inspire 2 while he was on the Inspire 1. I couldn't keep up with him or maneuver as quickly. Does it make a difference in our jobs, maybe once in a blue moon. But, it's noticeable in my opinion. All that said, if you can afford the Inspire 2, go for it. If the Inspire 1 is closer to your budget, pull the trigger. You won't be sorry with either.

Thanks for your insight. I already have an Inspire 1 I am just wondering if it is possible to fly the I2 in a straight line forwards. I don't care too much about speed/maneuverability as I find it keeps up well enough, I just often am in the situation where I have framed up a static or tracking shot and need to move forward on a relatively straight path. If you jam the stick straight forward the bird will pretty much always veer to the right at a 15 degree angle. It's apparently a common issue and even after calibrating everything the bird still does this...

Anyways was just wondering if this problem was rectified.

Thanks for your insight. I already have an Inspire 1 I am just wondering if it is possible to fly the I2 in a straight line forwards. I don't care too much about speed/maneuverability as I find it keeps up well enough, I just often am in the situation where I have framed up a static or tracking shot and need to move forward on a relatively straight path. If you jam the stick straight forward the bird will pretty much always veer to the right at a 15 degree angle. It's apparently a common issue and even after calibrating everything the bird still does this...

Anyways was just wondering if this problem was rectified.
I've experienced the same issue with the Inspire 1 in the past but, on the current firmware, it's doing well. Never had it with the Inspire 2.

Reactions: gruvpix
I had the Inspire 1 RAW & loved it! I got the Inspire 2 in March with the X5s. I have not gotten any licenses & am mostly a stills guy. I think, hands down the X5s is better in image quality than the X5r! I never really shot any real video except a couple tests in RAW with the X5r. I found it better to plan my shooting around angle, light & time of day. I am definitely no a videographer, but you can get more out of RAW, but not enough for the amount of space, time & tools it takes to do it! I have all the same lenses as before with the addition of the 7.5mm to my 15mm, 25mm & 45mm. Both the I1R & I2 have the issue of not going straight. Also, both had the same issue of horizon drift. BTW, Obstacle Avoidance killed (Backed into a tree) one of my Inspire 2's ;)

Hope this helps, Cheers, Jon

The Inspire 1 is a very capable machine and enjoyed it, like a new car being released there will be improvements over the last one, and im sure there will be an Inspire 3 in 2019.

I didn't plan the upgrade to the Inspire 2 actually I wasn't interested until my I1 landed in the North Sea ! it was only when the insurance payout came through I contacted Heliguy to chat about the options.

Ok I have owned the I2 for 1 week now and these are the noticeable benefits for me personally.

1. Battery redundancy 20 mins flight time with X5s
2. Stability/ Hover accuracy / position holding no deviation in height
3. Tracking feature
4. Cleaner low light X5s
5. X7 option
6. ProRes/Raw faster workflow
7. SDI output with broadcast feature and other features with the Cedence
8. Collision avoidence
9. Faster and more power
10. FOV
11. Camera horizon issues gone
12. 45mm lens works as it should without jello

I had the Inspire 1 RAW & loved it! I got the Inspire 2 in March with the X5s. I have not gotten any licenses & am mostly a stills guy. I think, hands down the X5s is better in image quality than the X5r! I never really shot any real video except a couple tests in RAW with the X5r. I found it better to plan my shooting around angle, light & time of day. I am definitely no a videographer, but you can get more out of RAW, but not enough for the amount of space, time & tools it takes to do it! I have all the same lenses as before with the addition of the 7.5mm to my 15mm, 25mm & 45mm. Both the I1R & I2 have the issue of not going straight. Also, both had the same issue of horizon drift. BTW, Obstacle Avoidance killed (Backed into a tree) one of my Inspire 2's ;)

Hope this helps, Cheers, Jon
The inspire 2 doesn't have rear Obstacle Avoidance, only forward and upper??? or do you mean the forward OA made it back into a tree??

I have both I1 & I2 and plan to keep both. Image wise both units are similar but even here the I2 wins with its inclusion if the more data friendly Pro-res encoding. Buy an I2 .....

Wait a minute... Are you talking about stills or video? I2 video must be better due to better recording bandwidth, other improvements ignoring for now. Another words, H.264 codec should deliver better quality video from X5S camera of I2 than from X5 camera of I1Pro. Right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArleneOce4