Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 or 2 for photography?

Reaction score
Hello:

I am a pro photographer exploring aerial photography. In the previous months I broke two Hubsan X4 getting used to the controls. Now I am flying confidently a P3P and it is time for the real imaging experience.

There is a lot of information and samples to compare I1 vs. I2 for video. Not too much for still photography.

Still can´t find in the web a DNG file sharp enough (in M43 standards) with the I1. I know perfectly the specs of the X5 and the X5s, however, there is much more than the specs. Vibration management for photo for example. With new Hi Res sensors I need to use tripod and mirror lock up to have good resolution. Image processor (not sensor) is another core issue for image quality. That´s why I am looking for real world experience and images.

Any of you guys has experience with pro level photo quality comparing X5 vs. X5S? (best if comparison is made with same lens at same aperture and same shutter speed -these factors drastically change the image quality-)

Many thanks in advance

Jorge

I've both an X5 and an X5S, and my gut (non-empirical) feeling from the photos I've taken is that the X5S is definitely an improvement over the X5. I've not tested them by shooting the same scene - I might try that at some point.

Regards Virbation management, it's not an issue due to both being on motorised gimbals, and on continuosly moving platforms - so you don't see the IS/VR issues that you get when such cameras/lenses ar tripod mounted. And obviously as the X5 series don't have a mirror, they don't get problems from mirror-slap that require mirror lock-up.

+1 for the X5S. We started as long time pro photographers (air and ground) and this is the 1st non-canon full frame camera we have considered flying for any local still photography projects we get asked to do. Before the X5S we have always put a 5D MIII or a 6D in the air for photography. Before drones we hung them under large helium balloons. But the X5S is getting us to reconsider our camera choice. I still think we can get better images with Canon cameras and L lenses, but the X5S is getting us to to place where we think the quality difference vs the convenience and size of an Inspire 2 is tipping the scales to the X5S. We will always still have gear that can put Canon cameras in the air, but we might use them less.

If you are anywhere near FL, we would be happy to have you come out and we could demo a Canon vs X5R vs X5S with you.

And of course we would love to help you with your system whenever you get ready to make a purchase.

Let me know if there is any other information we can provide...

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

The x5s is a really big improvement over all previous dji cameras. And yes, it is the first not dslr that delivers usable near high end quality-photos.
If you want, you can take a look at
Flugblog | von V. Lannert
The few last photos are taken with the x5s.

I've both an X5 and an X5S, and my gut (non-empirical) feeling from the photos I've taken is that the X5S is definitely an improvement over the X5. I've not tested them by shooting the same scene - I might try that at some point.

Regards Virbation management, it's not an issue due to both being on motorised gimbals, and on continuosly moving platforms - so you don't see the IS/VR issues that you get when such cameras/lenses ar tripod mounted. And obviously as the X5 series don't have a mirror, they don't get problems from mirror-slap that require mirror lock-up.

Thank you NickU for the reply. The gut test is a valuable non empirical criteria.

If the mirror slap in a DSLR can deteriorate image sharpness, I supose that drone vibration could be a huge issue despite gimballs. I uderstand that a mirrorless camera doesn´t have mirrors.

+1 for the X5S. We started as long time pro photographers (air and ground) and this is the 1st non-canon full frame camera we have considered flying for any local still photography projects we get asked to do. Before the X5S we have always put a 5D MIII or a 6D in the air for photography. Before drones we hung them under large helium balloons. But the X5S is getting us to reconsider our camera choice. I still think we can get better images with Canon cameras and L lenses, but the X5S is getting us to to place where we think the quality difference vs the convenience and size of an Inspire 2 is tipping the scales to the X5S. We will always still have gear that can put Canon cameras in the air, but we might use them less.

If you are anywhere near FL, we would be happy to have you come out and we could demo a Canon vs X5R vs X5S with you.

And of course we would love to help you with your system whenever you get ready to make a purchase.

Let me know if there is any other information we can provide...

Michael
www.FloridaDroneSupply.com
Many thanks Michael, I appreciate very much your thoughts and experience. I was also considering a S900 for Alpha 7 but I found many reliability issues reported by the users, from harmonic vibration to constant replacement of motor supports. I take that X5S image quality should not be the same as a MKIII but could get usable images.

Do you have issues for drone vibration? Is it useful to use an IS lens on a drone? What is the minimum shutter speed to get sharp images?

Many thanks again

Jorge

Reactions: Mike Harmon
The x5s is a really big improvement over all previous dji cameras. And yes, it is the first not dslr that delivers usable near high end quality-photos.
If you want, you can take a look at
Flugblog | von V. Lannert
The few last photos are taken with the x5s.
Thank you for your valuable reply and congratulations for the aerial compositions on your blog.
Jorge

+1 for the X5S. We started as long time pro photographers (air and ground) and this is the 1st non-canon full frame camera we have considered flying for any local still photography projects we get asked to do.
Do you class Micro 4/3 as the same league or quality as full frame then?

I have the Canon 6D for ground work (which has GPS) and X5S for topological mapping, and they both work well for photos. I did research before getting the DJI and research was conflicting to say the least ?

If properly exposed and handled, then yes I'd class the X5S to be in a similar bracket to the 20-21MP DSLR's for the results it can give. Sure, I'd love to have it handle my canon L glass, but it doesn't, and the results aren't so dissimilar that I can't live with them.

Like most things, if someone uses the camera that doesn't understand exposure and image processing, then they'll get poor results - same as for a DSLR.

I haven't found vibration to be an issue with the images I've taken so far, unless I've gone down to 2-4sec exposures. At higher shutter speeds, the gimbal can manage to hide much of the movement. That's one reason I went for the I2 & X5S instead of bigger hex's and octa's with an add-on gimbal to carry my DSLRs. Having to balance out each and every camera/lens combo that I'd use would probably mean I wouldn't end up using the kit much, which would be silly given the amount of money you'd invest to fly a DSLR.

The utility of something like the I2/X5S is great - everything is integrated and does work. You can see what the camera sees, you can easily control the camera alongside the drone and you're not messing around with multiple batteries and controllers for drone, gimbal and camera. Being able to turn up somewhere, open a (reasonable size of) case, and in 5-10 minutes be 400ft up is great. To fly my dslr kit, I'd be looking at an M600 and a gimbal added on, then some way to focus the lens and something else to operate the camera, not simple. I'm sure plenty of people could match the airborne in 5-10mins with a M600, but I'd not be one of them :D

I'm not saying I won't ever fly my DSLR kit, but the need to do so is massively reduced by having the I2.

Reactions: jyamamo
Im pro-photographer for Getty Images. I used Nikon D5 and D810 and D4s. I just upgraded to the X5s and am very happy with a "real" camera in the air now.

Just shot this today, testing the 25mm Olympus Lens I just got today as well.

The jpgs from P4, Mavic, X4S & X5S are pretty much useless to me because of the compression. But the raw are good. The X5S's are great!

Image @:
1/320 ISO 100 F8

Attachments

• DJI_0063.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 82
Im pro-photographer for Getty Images. I used Nikon D5 and D810 and D4s. I just upgraded to the X5s and am very happy with a "real" camera in the air now.

Just shot this today, testing the 25mm Olympus Lens I just got today as well.

The jpgs from P4, Mavic, X4S & X5S are pretty much useless to me because of the compression. But the raw are good. The X5S's are great!

Image @:
1/320 ISO 100 F8
Same set of gear as you, and the D5 iso is killer and used for editorial at over iso 54,000. The iso and image quality of the x5s is great. I don't have the 25mm, but do have the 17 and 45 mm. What are your thoughts on the 25?

25mm seems awesome, Olympus 12mm is awesome too. Im getting the 45mm tommorow, got it used from bhphoto for $250.

Im also getting that wide 9 - 18mm soon too.

I just want some options for jobs in the future. Selling my Sony a6300 and getting a GH5 when it comes out. Since it'll use the Olympus Lenses

Last edited:
Sold...I'm pulling the trigger on a used 25 mm in a few moments.

The pros and cons of the 45 mm is the distortion is minimal and you can be very inconspicuous when doing stills and video, but when shooting action, it's very difficult to keep teh athlete in frame.

Reactions: HarvestMoon
Sold...I'm pulling the trigger on a used 25 mm in a few moments.

The pros and cons of the 45 mm is the distortion is minimal and you can be very inconspicuous when doing stills and video, but when shooting action, it's very difficult to keep teh athlete in frame.

what's the highest ISO for the X5S photo / video? What's the highest you tried?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc