Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
I flight tested the new firmware v1.4.0.10 and app v2.1.0 updates and the app keeps crashing during flight. I use a Nexus 7 2013 tablet, Andriod version 5.1.1. Is anybody else having this problem? :(

I have two Nexus 7 (2013) tablets, which I keep updated with current Android software. The DJI app has consistently crashed on them for as long as I can remember.

I flew 7 batteries' worth today, and the app must have crashed on me at least a dozen times.

When it does crash, here is what I do to recover quickly:
  1. Swipe down to get the triangle/circle/square menu
  2. Touch the square
  3. Swipe the DJI app to the right.
  4. Restart the DJI app
This almost always works. One time it crashed while the Inspire was auto-landing. I usually intercept that and land it myself, but that time I couldn't get the app restarted, so it landed itself.

Today it happened again, but with one problem: it was landing about 15 feet away from the take-off point, which put it in some trees. I was able to intercept that one in time.

I love these drones, but this software is an embarrassment.

Why are you blaming the software?
You are all having the same problems with the Nexus 7, the solution to your problems is obvious to me... Can you guess what it is!

Reactions: Ozziepauly
The Nexus 7, 9, and 10 are the purest Android tablets available. They run only Android software from Google; no TouchWiz, no skins, no replaced modules, etc.

They should be the most reliable. My Nexus 7s are reliable for everything else I use them for, but not the DJI app. As a software engineer, I blame DJI for that.

But of course you may be right. What tablet do you use? And has it ever crashed on you while flying?

The Nexus 7, 9, and 10 are the purest Android tablets available. They run only Android software from Google; no TouchWiz, no skins, no replaced modules, etc.

They should be the most reliable. My Nexus 7s are reliable for everything else I use them for, but not the DJI app. As a software engineer, I blame DJI for that.

But of course you may be right. What tablet do you use? And has it ever crashed on you while flying?
I use the Ipad Mini 3 and NO it has never crashed on me before, during or after flight..

Do you guys who are suffering constant crashes still have USB Debugging mode enabled?

If so, turn it off and see if that helps (I'm not saying it will in all cases).
I have not had confirmation yet but it appears that the latest incarnation of the Go App may not need it (or request) to be enabled.

Reactions: Aviator
Yes, I have USB debugging enabled. My understanding is that this is required to get the video feed onto the tablet. I will try to disable it next time I fly.

Try rolling the app Google play services back to stock, it's been updated with the upgrade to lollipop since the pilot app was released and dji for some reason is too dumb to fix this in their new app versions, of which there have been about 4 or 5 updates to the dji app since this problem first became apparent. It will be a minor annoyance if you use the tablet for anything other than flying as gmail and a couple other apps won't work with the old Google play services app version and you'll have to downgrade to fly and re upgrade to use those other apps.

Try rolling the app Google play services back to stock, it's been updated with the upgrade to lollipop since the pilot app was released and dji for some reason is too dumb to fix this in their new app versions, of which there have been about 4 or 5 updates to the dji app since this problem first became apparent. It will be a minor annoyance if you use the tablet for anything other than flying as gmail and a couple other apps won't work with the old Google play services app version and you'll have to downgrade to fly and re upgrade to use those other apps.
I have 2 tablets dedicated for flying and nothing else.Don't need other things on it and it saves me for mandatory updates as long as I stay away from internet connections.;)

Reactions: SultanGris
Same here, no problems before updates and now it just crashed and would not recover even when rebooted. I had to execute a RTH land and reboot Inspire, RC and app all I can say is WTF!

I've been using the Litchi app for my P2V+ and since this past DJI Go update, Litchi is know available for the Inspire. I have used and preferred Litchi over DJI Vision. I am now using Litchi instead of DJI Go with my Inspire, so my issue with the DJI Go crashing is not a big problem for me.

I have not yet updated my Nexus 7 to the latest system update and I'm having problems with DJI Go v2.1.0 crashing. I use Litchi as my preferred app for flying my Inspire and I'm not having this problem with it.

I have not yet updated my Nexus 7 to the latest system update and I'm having problems with DJI Go v2.1.0 crashing. I use Litchi as my preferred app for flying my Inspire and I'm not having this problem with it.
Does litchi have the Google map like dji? That's why the dji one crashes, something to do with how it uses the data from maps. Maybe they did finally fix it to use the new version and since you are using old version it just started causing you issues.

I'm running older app and firmware with no issues but I've seen many people complain of this problem the last few dji app versions.

I use the Ipad Mini 3 and NO it has never crashed on me before, during or after flight..

I had both Nexus 7 2013 and iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 and nVidia Shield tablet with me the last time I went out shooting. On the Android side I was running Litchi 2.0 beta and DJI go, on iPads I was running Autopilot and DJI Go. Both Android tablets became unresponsive after about 1 battery on the bird. The remaining batteries were done on iPads and no crash. I have to agree with Aviator that the Android tablets are likely the source of issue here. They both felt warm when they became unresponsive. One would think given the additional RAM and CPU/GPU power of these Android tablets, they should easily outclass and outrun iPads with relatively miserable hardware specs, not the case.

I am not an Apple fan by any means but I am also a GA pilot in training and similar experience in Android vs iPads are commonly shared in that field too. I think I will stick with iPads for all flying related activities.

I had both Nexus 7 2013 and iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 and nVidia Shield tablet with me the last time I went out shooting. On the Android side I was running Litchi 2.0 beta and DJI go, on iPads I was running Autopilot and DJI Go. Both Android tablets became unresponsive after about 1 battery on the bird. The remaining batteries were done on iPads and no crash. I have to agree with Aviator that the Android tablets are likely the source of issue here. They both felt warm when they became unresponsive. One would think given the additional RAM and CPU/GPU power of these Android tablets, they should easily outclass and outrun iPads with relatively miserable hardware specs, not the case.

I am not an Apple fan by any means but I am also a GA pilot in training and similar experience in Android vs iPads are commonly shared in that field too. I think I will stick with iPads for all flying related activities.

It's due to poor android dji app coding. I was using 5 batteries in a row with no issues before the lollipop update changed the Google play services version and dji didn't.

Could've used more I'm sure, but 5 is all I have, haha

Similar problem here, Android app,,
lost signal message coming up all the time and image breaking up.
Tried all the usual and all above suggestions on 2 different android tablets that have always worked
Ok before, I with cell and 1 without, and in 4 different locations.
Loss of signal message straight after take off within first minute or so and only 50 meters away..
Had the Inspire since January, over 200 flights, brilliant platform but had this problem for the last couple of app updates..

Other than change to Ipad, any other suggestions,,,,.

ALL SORTED, TURNED DEBUGGING OFF, FLEW 2 BATTERIES NO SIGNAL LOSS, ALL OK.
THANKS ED.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters