Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I'm new to the Inspire and need guidance.

Reaction score
So I am an experienced phantom pilot and am very tired of them taking off and flying in reverse and crashing into things.
I was told that the inspire was stable and will last forever. That being said what should I watch out for. What if any are the quirks of this machine because it's landing freaks me out to be frank.
Also if anyone has any info on how to get the FAA license for my business I'd appreciate any tips.

Start with going through this forum also look on yontube, there's some very good tutorials on there.
I've flown P2's as well and never took off and fly in reverse, normally I'm standing behind it. Check you setting, do and RC calibration and all the other things, that shouldn't happen.

If follow the procedures, take off and land in GPS mode you shouldn't have any problem, I nearly always take and land in GPS mode and always the craft is facing away from me, can't confuse left and right then. Good luck

Sorry can't help on the FAA question.

Pretty sure I've read some of your posts over in the Phantom forum. If you like to fly in the rain and take risks with your equipment, you'll have even worse luck with the Inspire since it's electronics are even more exposed to the elements.
If I have you confused with someone else I apologize and have to ask, can you explain the whole "taking off in reverse" issues with the Phantom?

So I am an experienced phantom pilot and am very tired of them taking off and flying in reverse and crashing into things.
I was told that the inspire was stable and will last forever. That being said what should I watch out for. What if any are the quirks of this machine because it's landing freaks me out to be frank.
Also if anyone has any info on how to get the FAA license for my business I'd appreciate any tips.

Start here W4K. http://www.faa.gov/uas/

if you're lucky it might live through it's first crash
unlikely, people say the arms break if you land hard, and if the arm breaks its likely the camera gimble will break also and then youre looking at $1000 in repairs if not more.

Id recommend learning to fly in atti mode. Its quite easy and having that ability could save you thousands of dollars if you lose gps signal, which happens. Its a very bad idea to rely on gps mode for flying.

Reactions: Mazz
As a newbie myself, my first month was reading everything I could find in the forums, the FAA website, flight restriction websites, local / government rules and regs, and making up a set of checklists (upgrade, pre-flight at home, pre-flight on site, per-battery launch, during-flight MOD / GPS / battery logs, per-landing checks, packing up on-site, post-flight at home, 50 flight/200 hr checklist). I then practiced quite a bit on a soccer field close to my house with no one around, getting used to the controls, the app, ATTI mode, FPV, reversed / sideways craft orientation, etc. I rigorously abide by my checklists, check MOD / GPS / compass orientation regularly, make sure the Home Point is accurately set when the motors start, and make sure the Failsafe Height is set appropriate to the environment. I only do a compass calibration when the MOD values are out-of-range (should hover around 1500), which has only happened once so far, and my "reference" calibration is at the soccer field. Make sure the antennas are appropriately aligned and point them at the craft, even if it's straight overhead.

I've never had a problem with controlling the craft even in what I consider to be challenging flight conditions (i.e. strong gusty winds, close quarters, etc.), but I always keep it within line of sight and keep the antennas aligned and pointed at it. I leave my bunch of keys in the car, make sure all RF-capable electronics are off (including any friends close by), and have the tablet in Airplane mode. When flying in ATTI mode, I always keep my finger on the mode switch, ready to get back into GPS mode if I need "instant stability", which has saved it a couple of times when the wind caused the craft to drift too close to trees / obstacles and I didn't have time to react with the sticks. Still need more practice with ATTI to get myself out of that type of situation, but the P-mode stability is amazing.

That's just me though. Other people feel comfortable with substantially less checks and re-checks. By being overly careful, I'm hoping to never have a "first crash". My overall experience has been the Inspire is rock solid, and I hope it will indeed last forever, or at least the rest of my photographic lifetime. I hope DJI doesn't mess up the firmware, though, and concentrates on quality and reliability and safety and control rather than bells and whistles. Fantastic footage, IMO, using the provided ND filter at 1080p 60fps, "landscape" preset and no color model, but most of my footage is landscapes in bright sunlight.

Again, I'm just a newbie, so all of this is just my opinion based upon minimal experience. Seems to be working, though. What fun! Sadly, I'm grounded at this point due to the Nvidia Shield recall.

mTp

Sadly, I'm grounded at this point due to the Nvidia Shield recall.

mTp
horrors! Got a smartphone? use that! if you have a top end phone it will work great, older slower ones will give you video chop/lag most likely. I use my samsung galaxy note 4 and it works great. I cant justify spending $500 on a 10 inch tablet that i would only use for flying the inspire. the note 4 is sufficient screen size, but the older smaller iphones probably wouldnt work so great if they would even run the app. People say the iphone 6 works pretty good however.

unlikely, people say the arms break if you land hard, and if the arm breaks its likely the camera gimble will break also and then youre looking at $1000 in repairs if not more.

Id recommend learning to fly in atti mode. Its quite easy and having that ability could save you thousands of dollars if you lose gps signal, which happens. Its a very bad idea to rely on gps mode for flying.

I'd recommend buying a mini first and learning to really fly in a real manual mode, take those skills to an Inspire and it's a joke to fly

Reactions: SultanGris
horrors! Got a smartphone? use that! if you have a top end phone it will work great, older slower ones will give you video chop/lag most likely. I use my samsung galaxy note 4 and it works great. I cant justify spending $500 on a 10 inch tablet that i would only use for flying the inspire. the note 4 is sufficient screen size, but the older smaller iphones probably wouldnt work so great if they would even run the app. People say the iphone 6 works pretty good however.

The smart phone and the other tablet I have don't have the minimum Android version required by the app and can't be upgraded. When my finances recover from the Inspire purchase and associated accessories (e.g. the Shield, Cinemizers, sd cards, auxiliary static camera, camp table, etc.), I'll be getting another tablet as a camera operator's tablet for the second remote, and as a backup for the Shield (or vice versa). For now, I've got other priorities.

mTp

The smart phone and the other tablet I have don't have the minimum Android version required by the app and can't be upgraded. When my finances recover from the Inspire purchase and associated accessories (e.g. the Shield, Cinemizers, sd cards, auxiliary static camera, camp table, etc.), I'll be getting another tablet as a camera operator's tablet for the second remote, and as a backup for the Shield (or vice versa). For now, I've got other priorities.

mTp
ah, fair enough. just thought id suggest it as i hated not being able to fly for a while after i crashed mine. i nearly bought a second inspire but couldnt quite justify the cost, fortunately it only took a couple weeks for me to fix but it seemed like an eternity being unable to fly.

ah, fair enough. just thought id suggest it as i hated not being able to fly for a while after i crashed mine. i nearly bought a second inspire but couldnt quite justify the cost, fortunately it only took a couple weeks for me to fix but it seemed like an eternity being unable to fly.

Yes, I really enjoy taking the Inspire out, and thanks for the suggestions / recommendations. But, from my previous ground-based videography, I've determined that I really want to take the resulting footage and produce a "final presentation", which includes composing some music and ruthlessly trimming the footage down to the "perfect shots" to fit into the composition. Way too easy to let my editing and composition skills lag to go out and capture more footage.

I also want to get back into 3D animation, adding "artifacts" to the Inspire footage via the SynthEyes match-mover. Anyway, plenty to do. As I said, hopefully the Inspire will last the rest of my photographic life, so I'm not in a big hurry.

mTp

I need to replace 1 of the landing gears on my inspire 1... Where can I purchase?
72a2a987e1bc0777d6effed9ddfbe1cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ibflyen
I need to replace 1 of the landing gears on my inspire 1... Where can I purchase?
72a2a987e1bc0777d6effed9ddfbe1cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I have removed your multiple posts as you really only need to post ONCE and it will be answered. :)
Unfortunately, with that damage, you only really have two options.
1) Source the parts from a parted out Inspire on FleaBay etc
2) Send it in to DJI.

If you feel comfortable repairing the AC yourself then option 1 is probably the fastest route.

I was told that the inspire was stable and will last forever.

To be completely honest I have no idea where you heard info like this. Both machines made by DJI and both have very similar characteristics and flaws. It is likely that if you had issues with one you may have issues with the other. I am not saying all issues stem from pilot error but unfortunately the majority of them do.

Hi guys. Brand new to the site and I've looked over so much helpful info. Here's my situation, I'm a licensed fixed wing commercial pilot who is patiently waiting for a response from the Feds on my 333. I have a P3 pro arriving tomorrow but am really second guessing myself on if I should return it and get an Inspire. I've never flown before and am looking at getting into photo and video stuff commercially once I'm legal. Any members here ordered the Inspire and glad you did instead of the P3 pro? Is Inspire a machine even a newbie like myself can learn to master with some practice? Thanks!

Hi guys. Brand new to the site and I've looked over so much helpful info. Here's my situation, I'm a licensed fixed wing commercial pilot who is patiently waiting for a response from the Feds on my 333. I have a P3 pro arriving tomorrow but am really second guessing myself on if I should return it and get an Inspire. I've never flown before and am looking at getting into photo and video stuff commercially once I'm legal. Any members here ordered the Inspire and glad you did instead of the P3 pro? Is Inspire a machine even a newbie like myself can learn to master with some practice? Thanks!
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum.
To answer your question.....
Yes....and....no. :p
I'll explain.....Yes, it is possible to learn on the Inspire (it has a simulator on the iOS version of the app!as well) but would you really WANT to learn on an aircraft costing a few thousand dollars that doesn't take crashes too well?
If it were I and I had never flown anything R/C before, I would be tempted to buy a 'crash' quad first for around $30 or so. That way you can get a feel for controlling something remotely, get to understand orientation issues and just generally become comfortable with flying something disconnected from you.
If you do smash it into a wall - its $30 not $3,000 !

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
To be completely honest I have no idea where you heard info like this. Both machines made by DJI and both have very similar characteristics and flaws. It is likely that if you had issues with one you may have issues with the other. I am not saying all issues stem from pilot error but unfortunately the majority of them do.

Agree! I have and still fly my Phantom 1.1.1, Phantom 2 Vision and my Phantom 3P and have never experienced those issues...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian