Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Indoor Flight Best Practice?

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with my I2, but I've been getting some good material so far. The other day someone asked if I'd be able to shoot indoors in a new small shopping mall. I know that the I2 has anti-collision sensors above/below/front, but I was wanting to know what is best practice for doing such a shoot and what mistakes others have made I can learn from. Things such as does the drone go crazy with no/low GPS, what RTH settings, what sensors to turn on/off, how well those sensors function, and other risks which aren't obvious to a new pilot.

Reactions: dioriosigns
From my experience, the I2 is very stable indoors, especially in comparison to the I1 which can move suddenly as the GPS signal is lost/re acquired.

The vision system will keep you stable up to around 10m height providing the floor below the I2 is patterned and well lit.

Remember to turn off automatic RTH! I set mine to hover in place if the signal is lost.

I also turn of the forward collision detection & use my eyes to avoid a collision as the constant beeping as you get close to your subject can get distracting.

You should keep the upward collision sensor on as it can be difficult to judge how close you are to the roof from ground level. If you get too close to the roof then control of your height could become difficult as the I2 gets sucked up into it own vacuum.

Fly slowly & always use an observer to cover your back for the times when you get engrossed in looking at the image & controls on your screen.

Look out for overhead cables & dangling light fittings!

Take a spare pair of pants, it can be nerve racking the first time you try it!

Here’s one I did earlier:

The middle section shows just how stable & controlled the I2 can be indoors:

The Inspire 2 is an incredible aircraft and can very well be used indoor.
The Vision Positioning System (VPS) is a great aid in helping to hold position and stabilize horizontal movement in environments with no or weak GPS signal reception.
However, it does require good lit surface below with enough pattern for the system to function properly.

If at one point during flight, no GPS or VPS is available the aircraft will automatically switch to ATTI mode!!
This is a mode without horizontal stabilization (only the ATTItude is controlled, hence the name. Level attitude with no input, or maximum 35 degree angle of pitch or roll with full stick input).

So how to fly safely indoor?
Step 1. Go outdoor to a large and open area with no obstacles and no roads/congested area etc. nearby
Step 2. Take-off in P-mode (with GPS) and let the aircraft hover steadily FACING THE REAR of the aircraft.
Step 3. Switch to A-mode (ATTI mode) using the flight mode switch on the left upper side of the RC (Multiple Flight mode has to be enabled in the settings!!)
Step 4. Observe the aircraft drifting in the wind, try to bring it back to it's original position and hold it there. Keep practicing until you get it. If at anytime you tend to lose control, switch back to P-mode!
Step 5. Rotate the aircraft FACING THE FRONT of the aircraft. Hold a steady hover.
Step 6. Try sideways hovering and flying around (circles, straight lines, etc.)
Step 7. Try raising and lowering the aircraft vertically with little horizontal movement.
Step 8. Try lowering the aircraft to 20 cm above the ground and notice the change in response to the controls, go up to 2-3 m and try again.
Step 9. Try to land the aircraft.

Step 10. Repeat as often as you can.

Step 11. Try flying indoors in ATTI-mode for practice - no public or customers allowed. Repeat several times.

Step 12. Fly your commercial mission.

Why so much steps and information?

Many of my students have crashed on (first) indoor flights, because the rely to much on GPS, which 95 out of 100 times is of no use indoors ;)

Excellent tutorial.
I just add to that, learn aerodynamics of flying quadrocopter
  • Inspire 2 has powerful prop-wash (can send things flying easily)
  • Beware of ceiling at all times (I2 can literally suck onto the ceiling & crash)

Reactions: instructor
I gave it a go yesterday inside the auditorium of my church (no people) which can seat up to 500. Put into practice all the advice and was quite happy with the results. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkaur