Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Indoor flight recommendations

Reaction score
Got my first indoor project coming up. Any suggestions? How close to the ceiling is safe and how close will the vertical sensors really allow you to get? I apprteciate any insight.

Dave, I assume you have an Inspire 2 since you mention vertical sensors. I'm not an expert on flying inside. I've done it a few times but, it's very different. Also, I wouldn't make my first time doing it inside part of a job. When I have flown inside I've been in BIG open areas and have done OK. I personally would avoid all physical structures by a minimum of 15 feet (or about 3 meters) to give you some maneuverability and buffer zone. If your in the states, indoor flying requires a waiver.

Reactions: davevonfintel
I always explore the location time after time.Make a map with sizes and measurements wich you lay down besides you.And if possible stay as close as you can to your Inspire,but stay out of your camerasight.If you're not sure stay away from things.Better make a short shot wich you edit later in your final compilation.Another thing I notice a lot is dust.Floors are not clean etc.Ask for a pre-flight if possible.
After all it's your drone and damage is always close.
Good luck.
Ps.check your RTH button.Switch it off.

Reactions: davevonfintel
Got my first indoor project coming up. Any suggestions? How close to the ceiling is safe and how close will the vertical sensors really allow you to get? I apprteciate any insight.
You do not say what aircraft/airframe you will be flying.

Using the search function will yield many threads about indoor flying.

I am unaware of any waiver requirements for indoor flight. Do you have a link to share"

It doesn't look like this refers to indoor flights, or part 107 regulations. Full discosure, I have not read the entire item, but just did a search for indoor, door, and 107. When I look at the faa website, Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace i see that the waivers you can request all start with 107. with a sufix of the regulation you are requesting to be waived. None of them refers to flights indoors. So if it is indeed part of 107 then it looks like they'd never let you fly indoors?

Sorry, flying an Inspire 2. Mainly concerned with the ceiling. This is a simple vertical shot (like a crane). I’m just wonder how close you can get to the ceiling before the downdraft sucks you up into the ceiling.

It doesn't look like this refers to indoor flights, or part 107 regulations. Full discosure, I have not read the entire item, but just did a search for indoor, door, and 107. When I look at the faa website, Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace i see that the waivers you can request all start with 107. with a sufix of the regulation you are requesting to be waived. None of them refers to flights indoors. So if it is indeed part of 107 then it looks like they'd never let you fly indoors?
The FAA doesn't govern any airspace under a structure or roof so no waiver is required. Technically you don't need a part 107 to do comerical work as long as you are under a roof or inside a building, once you fly into outdoor airspace you fall under the FAA and 107 guidelines.

Sorry, flying an Inspire 2. Mainly concerned with the ceiling. This is a simple vertical shot (like a crane). I’m just wonder how close you can get to the ceiling before the downdraft sucks you up into the ceiling.
We've flown inside only a few times. As suggested, it's well worth a scouting trip with your Inspire to look for two things in particular. 1) Gobs of metal can honk off your GPS. Normally no big deal as you simply fly in ATTI. So keep an eye out for #2) air currents like air conditioning. You probably won't be doing any 35mph runs indoors so you'll be looking for cinematic flow. Without GPS to hold your line those currents can make holding speed and line challenging.

So just know what challenges the building brings to the party and plan your shots accordingly.

We've flown inside only a few times. As suggested, it's well worth a scouting trip with your Inspire to look for two things in particular. 1) Gobs of metal can honk off your GPS. Normally no big deal as you simply fly in ATTI. So keep an eye out for #2) air currents like air conditioning. You probably won't be doing any 35mph runs indoors so you'll be looking for cinematic flow. Without GPS to hold your line those currents can make holding speed and line challenging.

So just know what challenges the building brings to the party and plan your shots accordingly.

Excellent suggestions, especially #2. I've flown indoors several times. You never know where air is coming from even when doors and windows are shut and HVAC is turned off. If you look down at your tablet screen for even a quick look, your craft could drift into a wall or machinery. KNOW WHERE YOUR CRAFT IS AT ALL TIMES, for both your drone's safety and the safety of others. Definitely have a spotter or two. We've gotten great video indoors but had a scare or two as the craft drifted. Here's an oddity too...we were shooting video inside a large factory. It never occured to me when I arrived that the facility was just a few blocks from our main airport. We went inside, shot for a couple hours with our main camera, then the boss said, "Get the drone." We had all doors and windows closed. I launched and got some nice shots. Then the boss asked if I could start outside and fly inside if we opened one of the big overhead truck doors. I told him we were too close to the airport to fly outside. Well, he opened the door and when he did, our Inspire 1 would not fly at all because of the flight restrictions, being so close to a main airport. Even when we closed the doors, no flying was allowed. It worked out OK, I already had what I needed. It just surprised me.

Excellent suggestions, especially #2. I've flown indoors several times. You never know where air is coming from even when doors and windows are shut and HVAC is turned off. If you look down at your tablet screen for even a quick look, your craft could drift into a wall or machinery. KNOW WHERE YOUR CRAFT IS AT ALL TIMES, for both your drone's safety and the safety of others. Definitely have a spotter or two. We've gotten great video indoors but had a scare or two as the craft drifted. Here's an oddity too...we were shooting video inside a large factory. It never occured to me when I arrived that the facility was just a few blocks from our main airport. We went inside, shot for a couple hours with our main camera, then the boss said, "Get the drone." We had all doors and windows closed. I launched and got some nice shots. Then the boss asked if I could start outside and fly inside if we opened one of the big overhead truck doors. I told him we were too close to the airport to fly outside. Well, he opened the door and when he did, our Inspire 1 would not fly at all because of the flight restrictions, being so close to a main airport. Even when we closed the doors, no flying was allowed. It worked out OK, I already had what I needed. It just surprised me.
Geez....I would've never thought of that. Once it realizes where it is. Wonder if the LAANC system will be integrated into DJI products or if they will still pull these sly moves in spite of our having an official Okey Dokey

Well, he opened the door and when he did, our Inspire 1 would not fly at all because of the flight restrictions, being so close to a main airport
Ha and that is why I fly with old firmware and a dedicated tablet.No restrictions for me in that way.Recently I did an indoor flight and found out that a small airport was close to my location and no problems at all.But I have to say it was pretty stupid from me I was not aware of this airport.
Never to old to lurn,so now I pay even more attention to unknown locations.:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu