Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 battery mod: never ending crusade ...

Recieved battery mod from Erik, will be doing trials to see how it does flight time wise with both X5 and X3 as well as X3 zoom model for anyone curious. :)

Reactions: InspireEagle
Recieved battery mod from Erik, will be doing trials to see how it does flight time wise with both X5 and X3 as well as X3 zoom model for anyone curious. :)
yes i am. do a boring video, stay close, also tell us outside temp....i get 29 minutes from full charge, but warm temps and x3, i dont have x5

yes i am. do a boring video, stay close, also tell us outside temp....i get 29 minutes from full charge, but warm temps and x3, i dont have x5
Will do, I basically just plan to stay within couple hundred feet of me taking some arial shots of my property. You have no idea how currious I am wanting to know how to mod the battery head so I can have multiple lol. But Erik will continue to get my recommendation, quality is pretty darn good. My 2 minor complaints are the 3D printing quality could be a bit better and done in black versus grey and fix the typos in his instructions and Or offer them via online if there isn't any such. Other then that for the money I feel it saved my inspire 1, I have 2 atm and about to list my other one on eBay. So I have 3 low cycle Tb48's im keeping and parting with the low cycle 47's with sale of drone. I will def keep everyone posted, I had planned on a flight this morning... EXCEPT it is snowing/ raining and cloudy so not even worth trying to fly. Well being I live in Alaska... Warm temps are a few months off :(

Will do, I basically just plan to stay within couple hundred feet of me taking some arial shots of my property. You have no idea how currious I am wanting to know how to mod the battery head so I can have multiple lol. But Erik will continue to get my recommendation, quality is pretty darn good. My 2 minor complaints are the 3D printing quality could be a bit better and done in black versus grey and fix the typos in his instructions and Or offer them via online if there isn't any such. Other then that for the money I feel it saved my inspire 1, I have 2 atm and about to list my other one on eBay. So I have 3 low cycle Tb48's im keeping and parting with the low cycle 47's with sale of drone. I will def keep everyone posted, I had planned on a flight this morning... EXCEPT it is snowing/ raining and cloudy so not even worth trying to fly. Well being I live in Alaska... Warm temps are a few months off :(
if you have dead tb battery, i would contact erik, he buys dead oes

if you have dead tb battery, i would contact erik, he buys dead oes
Currently all of mine hold charge and work great for now, only bad batteries is from my PH3P I have torn apart on the desk LOL. Hoping shortly to get some vids and better numbers with the new battery. For reference, I get 15-16min average with TB48 (12 cycles) and 1.5min with TB47 (21 cycles) with X5 and at 31*F just messing around. In comparison to my other inspire which has the older props, there is a BIG difference as far as thrust and maneuverability... I got frisky and almost smacked my new one into side of shop, it's a bit more touchy..

Well decided to take the bird up since sun was setting, I messed up the auto-focus on my X5 so quality isn't the best but temperature out is 29*F no wind. I landed with 34% battery left and was in air for 19min and it stated I had another 6min of flight left. Mind you as you will see in the video, I didn't just hover I went around my house and upwards of 400ft and full throttle ahead so it's as real of a test I could provide. I just wish I wouldn't have used my ND10 filter and got the smudge off of it prior to taking off had I noticed. Oh well it landed safely and I am rather happy. 20-25min flight time IMO is perfect at temps below freezing! I think my next feat will be to 3D print new nose and have LED light attached.

Well decided to take the bird up since sun was setting, I messed up the auto-focus on my X5 so quality isn't the best but temperature out is 29*F no wind. I landed with 34% battery left and was in air for 19min and it stated I had another 6min of flight left. Mind you as you will see in the video, I didn't just hover I went around my house and upwards of 400ft and full throttle ahead so it's as real of a test I could provide. I just wish I wouldn't have used my ND10 filter and got the smudge off of it prior to taking off had I noticed. Oh well it landed safely and I am rather happy. 20-25min flight time IMO is perfect at temps below freezing! I think my next feat will be to 3D print new nose and have LED light attached.
what battery

what battery
The 9000mAh one, I'd of tried flying little longer except I couldn't remember how low I could go without messing up the presets. And lately we have had nothing but fridged Temps, snow and wind

Been trying to find a good way to get into the BMS chip in the TB48 (TI-BQ78350) and didn't find anyone who has a good system for doing it. Contacted Nicusor at 'Nip Embedded' but he says their system NLBA1 hardware and software presently does not support that BMS and gave impression there was not much demand for it. I doubt they will ever make it as the product line is discontinued.
With no other way, I decided to try using a knock-off EV2400 with the BQ-Studio application. I was able to write and read to the BMS. Took a while but got it working and can read and write in charge/discharge modes. I has to be connected to the EV2400 on the SMBD/SMBC interface and not the SDA/SCL interface and be connected to 'Gnd' but not 'VCC'. One trick is that one cannot and should not try to access data or registers not accessible for that chip or for that mode of operation or else it will lock up. Also, turned off Dashboard feature cause it bogs everything down to freeze. Attached pic shows screen during Discharge-Load Mode.

Attachments

• image000000 (005).jpg
    image000000 (005).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 9
Turns out the other problem, as learned from "PatboonLabs", is that BQ78350 BMS cannot offer reliable communication through the SDA/SCL interface port of the TB48. The MSP430 chip in the TB48 controller board is constantly interfering with communications through SDA/SCL. This can be circumvented by connecting through SMBC & SMBD points directly on the TB48 controller board instead of going through SDA/SCL.
Thus, reliable polling and reading of the BQ78350 works this way.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 9

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool