Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 CAN-BUS upgrade, DJI Focus

Reaction score
Hi folks,

There's definitely info on this throughout the forum, but I didn't find the exact info I'm looking for, so here we are...

I have an Inspire 1 with X5R. Long story short, the USB connection to phone wasn't working, so I pulled the USB module off an unused controller we had lying around. Didn't really pay attention at the time, but it was likely from a Phantom 3, although it could have been the second Inspire 1 controller (the Inspire 1 I'm using sat idle in our office for a few years before being given to me when I left). The module to which I changed has only micro and USB-A ports, and since I now have the 45mm Olympus lens, and the DJI Focus, which I use on my big cameras, I'd like to be able to focus pull in the air.

The HDMI output upgrade unit...There was only one released, yes? For both the Phantom 3 and 4? It seems that way. And while there was never official word from DJI, it is confirmed to work with the Inspire 1, so says the forum. However, everyone seems to just mention the HDMI port. Any issues using the CAN-BUS port?

I'd like to use this cable with the Inspire and DJI Focus (not the Handwheel): DJI Focus - Remote Controller CAN-Bus Cable (hell of a time finding this one!

...and this cable to connect to the Osmo: DJI Focus - Osmo Pro/RAW Adaptor Cable (2m) (wish they had the 20cm version...)

AFAIK, this should all work, right? My only real concern is having problems with the CAN-BUS port from the HDMI adaptor, but I suppose if the HDMI port is working well for people, then there's no reason the CAN-BUS port shouldn't too.

Thanks

Well, I am uniquely qualified to answer this as I have all the equipment being discussed.

I have a X5R along with multiple controllers.

I have a DJI Focus unit, the cable that is able to connect it to the controller (yes, VERY hard to find), the OTHER cable that connects it to a Osmo handle (they are different), as well as the ultimate solution, the 5.8Ghz Focus Expansion Module (as far as I can tell I was able to purchase the last retail available one out there a few months back).

Ultimately, the idea is that the Inspire 1 would have three people involved (ok, four people including at least one spotter):

1) Pilot in Charge - I feel there also needs to be a FPS camera mounted to make this truly useful for the pilot

2) Camera Operator - using the second controller to allow for freedom of composition

3) Focus Puller

The big issue with the cabled solution is that it MUST be hooked up to the Master controller.

With the expansion module you link the DJI Focus unit to the Master controller just like any Slave. That gives you the freedom for even a third controller to be used as a secondary Slave (you can have up to 5 Slave controllers connected at once to a single Master), so that the focus puller has their own screen as well.

The workflow of the cabled solution seemed ill-conceived at best.

Oh, I also have the bracket that allows the DJI Focus (or a regular focus wheel) to be mounted to a controller. It is really necessary to get any work done with this setup.

For the Can-Bus cable option to work, I surmised you would really need to get a long cable and make an extension. Honestly, the 4-pin connector used for the Can-Bus is nothing special (simple 4-pin connector used for many computer connections like a CD-ROM drive audio connector), so making one the only thing that is needed is the special connector that goes to the DJI Focus unit.

If you really want it to function properly, try to find an Expansion Module. It really is the most elegant and useful solution.

Reactions: niki
I believe the question was - will a replacement Phantom HDMI module installed onto an Inspire 1 remote pass Can-Bus protocols.
The answer is yes.

Except for the fact that the usability is drastically reduced... Thus the extended version I gave above, that to make it actually useful you need multiple people.

It is VERY hard to pull focus via the DJI focus while it is on the same controller the pilot uses... Not enough hands to get everything done. At that point the on-screen focus part of the DJI Go app is almost more convenient if it is a one man show.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
The answer to the OP’s original question is still ‘yes’

He was asking for specific information.

His ‘only real concern’ (His words not mine) was will it work regarding Can-Bus communication.

I simply and succinctly answered the question.

Thank you both for your replies!

To 'The Editor,' yes, I was mostly worried about the HDMI port working but there maybe being issues with the can-bus for some unknown reason.
Brian, thanks for the details!

I would like to go all-in as you've said this is the best way to go about things, but I'm a little loathe to make too much more of an investment in the Inspire 1, and something like batteries would be more useful now! I flew an Inspire 2 a couple weeks ago, and it's amazing the stability improvements DJI made over the course of a generation.

I've flown by myself for a few years now, mostly Mavics and Phantoms (I'm in South Korea, and the drone laws here have really only come into their own over the past year or two), and so am used to operating everything on my own. For the shots I do, having the focus puller pull while attached to my controller (I have only the one) should be OK. And getting some more useful life from the Osmo would be great, too. It's pretty useful for a small gimbal that was released...6 years ago?
Thanks again~

Thank you both for your replies!

To 'The Editor,' yes, I was mostly worried about the HDMI port working but there maybe being issues with the can-bus for some unknown reason.
Brian, thanks for the details!

I would like to go all-in as you've said this is the best way to go about things, but I'm a little loathe to make too much more of an investment in the Inspire 1, and something like batteries would be more useful now! I flew an Inspire 2 a couple weeks ago, and it's amazing the stability improvements DJI made over the course of a generation.

I've flown by myself for a few years now, mostly Mavics and Phantoms (I'm in South Korea, and the drone laws here have really only come into their own over the past year or two), and so am used to operating everything on my own. For the shots I do, having the focus puller pull while attached to my controller (I have only the one) should be OK. And getting some more useful life from the Osmo would be great, too. It's pretty useful for a small gimbal that was released...6 years ago?
Thanks again~
Actually, you can fine-tune the gains and whatnot to get the Inspire 1 to have the grace of the Inspire 2.

The Inspire 1 is basically is "sport mode" the way they pre-configured it. If you play around with the controller settings you can get it EXACTLY the same as the Inspire 2. Fact of the matter is the sizes of the aircraft and the control systems are similar enough that you can't get too much more "stability" out of it in regards to how much they drift and move around on hover.

Also, I noticed that the Inspire 1 RAW actually uses more angle to the motors relative to center... The previous Inspire 1 V1 spec was 4.5/-4.5 degrees, the RAW I have is actually 5.5/-5.5 and has slightly better stability I have noticed in comparison. I figure they did that to compensate for the heavier payload of the X5R.

I am sure someone on here has posted the settings to get the Inspire 1 to fly as gracefully and with the control of an Inspire 2, so doing a long search on here should prove fruitful.

Also, in regards to batteries, keep a lookout for a post I will be making here shortly... There have been some progress and availability of new battery sources may not be in such dire need much longer...

Reviving ....

I have a focus wheel gathering a little dust because I have not been using my Osmo Pro. I would really like to try the focus wheel out. Can anyone tell me if this cable (providing I can find one) will work with the I1 RC? It is the cable sold for focus wheel to I2 RC. I just do not know if the connectors are the same on both remotes.
Canbus Cable.jpg

Reviving ....

I have a focus wheel gathering a little dust because I have not been using my Osmo Pro. I would really like to try the focus wheel out. Can anyone tell me if this cable (providing I can find one) will work with the I1 RC? It is the cable sold for focus wheel to I2 RC. I just do not know if the connectors are the same on both remotes.
View attachment 32503
Are you talking about the DJI Focus wireless unit, or the Focus Handwheel? As far as I know, they have different connections to the wheel unit - the Handwheel having the same connector on both ends (which is used to connect to the front of the Osmo), and the Focus having a lemo-type connector with pins.
In the photo you linked, the right-hand side connector would connect to the Osmo, or to the Focus Handwheel, but the left=land connector looks like it's meant solely for the Inspire 2. The Inspire 1 connector looks like below:

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2022-04-24-12-28-03.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2022-04-24-12-28-03.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
I am working with the hand wheel 1 only. I just have not seen an inspire 2 connector and did not know if they were the same. I suppose that I am trying to source info on a name of the connector required for the I1.
This is another one of those inspire 1 projects that I am so late to the party for. To be honest I was sort of hoping that somebody who has used the set up and they have a cable that they would be willing to sell to me or nudge me in the direction to buy the parts so I can build my own. All that I have been able to find within forums is that the plug should be some thing like an internal CD ROM plug. It has been along time since I’ve had desktop computers so don’t have any more cabling like that laying around.

So you have confirmed that this cable is not appropriate. That means that this thread has turned into trying to find out the name of the plug or anything that anyone would be willing to share to help out. I appreciate you taking your time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44