Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Drifting Away

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same problem repeatedly in my last 6 flights. My inspire 1 starts to the flight normal, then slowly drifts away with the wind. I thought there is an issue with the GPS, but it recorded its location, I am posting it down below. Just to clear it, I was flying on P Mode. Besides, it is having trouble to land back to its departure position (there is a ~5 m deviation). I checked the sensor calibration, but it was ok. I am wondering what might be the problem causing this. Is there anyone who experienced the same issue?

Attachments

• deviation.PNG
    deviation.PNG
    5.9 MB · Views: 36
Editor made a comment at one point to check for a Ublox module defect or crack - apparently if this ceramic is damaged it will affect GPS reception.
Hope this is some use.

Editor made a comment at one point to check for a Ublox module defect or crack - apparently if this ceramic is damaged it will affect GPS reception.
Hope this is some use.
Do you mean this (Amazon.com : DJI Inspire 1 Part 6 GPS Module : Camera & Photo) module might be cracked? It recorded the path during its drift tho, maybe the gps is ok and something else wrong? Some guys reported that, if the drone loose a satellite, it switches to Atti-mode and that might be the cause of the drift? However, in that case, it should notify me isn't it? There wasn't any warning message on the log...

Do you mean this (Amazon.com : DJI Inspire 1 Part 6 GPS Module : Camera & Photo) module might be cracked? It recorded the path during its drift tho, maybe the gps is ok and something else wrong? Some guys reported that, if the drone loose a satellite, it switches to Atti-mode and that might be the cause of the drift? However, in that case, it should notify me isn't it? There wasn't any warning message on the log...
Hey man, don't you think maybe the Inspire isn't the ideal drone for learning? I greatly advise you to put it back in the closet and try maybe starting from a Spark. I'm not trying to offend you, i'm saying the inspire wasnt built with you in mind and youre are going to lose or crash it. The spark hurts less when it happens though, and you'll get plenty of gps loses to understand what atti is and is not.

Hey man, don't you think maybe the Inspire isn't the ideal drone for learning? I greatly advise you to put it back in the closet and try maybe starting from a Spark. I'm not trying to offend you, i'm saying the inspire wasnt built with you in mind and youre are going to lose or crash it. The spark hurts less when it happens though, and you'll get plenty of gps loses to understand what atti is and is not.

Dude, I understand you are trying to show us how much you know about drones, I am ok with it. However, what I really need is to troubleshoot the problem, so I do not experience the same thing again.

I used to fly with two people, one is flying and watching the AV, and the other operating the camera. If you are taking 360 photos for site surveying like me, a drifting drone does not make it easy. I can fly it in atti mode, in fact, what I really need is a steady still drone, that allow me to take 30 or more photos and stitch them for a complete 360.

If you want to show up yourself, please do so by showing the quality of your work. You are not the person who will tell me which drone should I fly and which.

A bit of harsh reality and respectfully differ from your
i respectfully differ with your rather harsh commentary and the inspire 1 can be an ideal training drone if one starts properly and doesn’t push the learning curve. And, imo is much more fun to fly. And, the added benefit of a reasonably good camera system, and a great entry level price as there are great inspire one bargains in the used marketplace.
Of course you are correct if throw caution to the wind and don’t learn the basics.

No, no, I'm sorry i offended you. I totally understand. as a self-employed IT manager that has a small consumer base but one that still requires the person that keeps them safe from the mind blowingly fast changing intrusion methodology, I get baffled every day how AI is taking care of more and more of the dark web, so I understand my customers expect a quality of service that reflects my monthly billing and totally trust me that the instruments I use to explain my much higher than average cost, are instruments that i know top to bottom, i can fully utilise them to serve individual needs and know how to control an unexpected situation because of unforeseen events. myself a new inspire pilot, just a few weeks old, coming straight from one hell of an adventure with a spark, and a fully utilized care refresh that gave me a big buffer to push it beyond anything advertised, I understand the potential of the Inspire and the many differences between an ideal training drone and one marketed as "a drone so advanced it can split the abilities to one operator for a complete control of the capture system and a pilot capale of pulling maneuvers that were only previously only available on larger platforms" (seen chasing sports cars, jetskis, boats full of people racing down rapids). But yeah, as one wise man said, "started from the bottom now were here" I'm sure your customers can trust their money is going into the pockets of a pilot that know his stuff and one of the dedicated flight modes and how it works and sometimes doesnt, and how to figure it out, without any risk to their property.

The point is, the learning curve is exactly when you push. You cant play safe then on the racetrack only to get hit by reality. You get that right? The spark is built for the new comers, DJI know this and made it as capable to compensate for user error as possible, there is no such thing with a 4000$ launch price drone...no matter how affordable it is, you can still pin the descnet joystick down and crash the crap out of it...good luck doing that with a spark.

Regarding your comment about wanting a stable drone that can stitch 30 photos for a pano:
I tried using an I 1 for panos with Litchi. I chose the mode where the camera does not turn, but the aircraft does (to avoid including landing gear legs). While shooting in columns every time the bird would rotate to shoot the next column, it would slide 3-4 feet. By the time I shot 8 columns, it had moved around 30’. The photos would not stitch. When I queried Litchi about this, they said the Inspire 1 uses a “first generation” DJI location system, and nothing could be improved from my experience.
My I 2, Mavic Pro and 2 are vastly superior in this regard. I have well over 100 hours on the I 1 and it is a good bird, but hates to (can hardly) fly with multiple axis input (right stick moving towards any corner). Good luck with your efforts.

I have been experiencing the same problem repeatedly in my last 6 flights. My inspire 1 starts to the flight normal, then slowly drifts away with the wind. I thought there is an issue with the GPS, but it recorded its location, I am posting it down below. Just to clear it, I was flying on P Mode. Besides, it is having trouble to land back to its departure position (there is a ~5 m deviation). I checked the sensor calibration, but it was ok. I am wondering what might be the problem causing this. Is there anyone who experienced the same issue?

Interesting answers here...

I regularly fly my Inspire 1, v2 a couple times a month. And, like you, occasionally she drifts. Sometimes I just let her go to see if she's going to stop drifting. 95% of the time she stops after about 10' or so. But occasionally, like a child with ADD, she'll act like she's lost interest in that location and and go into a pseudo "ATTI mode" (this, with 14 satellites acquired). If I continue flying (bring her back) without doing anything else, she starts behaving again. But it takes a minute. She doesn't exactly "snap to attention." She just sort of "wakes up." It gives her personality...<:^)

I regularly fly a P4P and it's funny - the difference in handling is night and day. I LOVE my Inspire 1 and will use her until I can no longer find batteries and props for her (hopefully no less than a decade from now). She's just a super-reliable platform that I can count on...but I digress... My point is that the Inspire 1 is "old tech" and as such, she doesn't "behave" as well as the more modern offerings.

Try this...

Let her drift to see if she finally stops drifting. It might take 50' before she stops. If she DOES eventually stop, then you're experiencing the same anomaly that I believe most Inspire 1 pilots experience. If she does NOT stop drifting, you may have other issues. Try snapping the PAF switch to F. And then back to P to see if that arrests the drifting.

Just curious...

Do you see this "bad behavior" every flight? Or just occasionally? If the latter, you're probably in the same boat I'm in. I wouldn't worry about it. My Inspire 1 has been the occasional "drifter" for years. I don't think anything is broken. I affectionately refer to her as the "barge in the sky."

Use your iPads "Screen Record" to record your flights so you can review them at home afterwards.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
There are lots of words here that do not make sense to me. If I am flying a racing drone, I know that I have to control, attitude, yaw, pitch and whatever it is, depending on the settings that i am flying it. When I put my inspire 1 on P-Mode, it promises me to keep the drone steady still in the air.

I had other issues such as loosing attitude (it was going to crash on a truck if i didn't take the control on time and give more power to raise it to a safe height), battery issues, center frame issues and loss of camera view due to faulty pins with my inspire 1 in the air. If you check my flight record, it only drifted ~50m on a safe attitude, so the issue is not loosing it. I never crashed it, and I always fly cautiously, do not worry about that.

What concerns me to be clear is that, for all those problems I had previously, there was a warning message in the flight log. What is different here is that, the drone is drifting away with the wind, no warning messages, and it's happening continuously. It records the path that it travels so the first thing I thought is, maybe its switching to attimode as the other people reported. But there is no evidence that its doing so. I was shooting a video in my previous flight and i literally had to fight with the wind, and guess what, there was no warning as well in the flight log.

The one that I posted above was my test flight to try a new app for autonomous 360 however, even before I started the app, it started drifting away so I flew it back in attimode, and here I am asking what might be the problem. I have enough experience in the air, but this is unexpected and never happened before. I hope there are people somewhere there who can help me to clarify what might be issue causing this. Thanks,

There are lots of words here that do not make sense to me. If I am flying a racing drone, I know that I have to control, attitude, yaw, pitch and whatever it is, depending on the settings that i am flying it. When I put my inspire 1 on P-Mode, it promises me to keep the drone steady still in the air.

I had other issues such as loosing attitude (it was going to crash on a truck if i didn't take the control on time and give more power to raise it to a safe height), battery issues, center frame issues and loss of camera view due to faulty pins with my inspire 1 in the air. If you check my flight record, it only drifted ~50m on a safe attitude, so the issue is not loosing it. I never crashed it, and I always fly cautiously, do not worry about that.

What concerns me to be clear is that, for all those problems I had previously, there was a warning message in the flight log. What is different here is that, the drone is drifting away with the wind, no warning messages, and it's happening continuously. It records the path that it travels so the first thing I thought is, maybe its switching to attimode as the other people reported. But there is no evidence that its doing so. I was shooting a video in my previous flight and i literally had to fight with the wind, and guess what, there was no warning as well in the flight log.

The one that I posted above was my test flight to try a new app for autonomous 360 however, even before I started the app, it started drifting away so I flew it back in attimode, and here I am asking what might be the problem. I have enough experience in the air, but this is unexpected and never happened before. I hope there are people somewhere there who can help me to clarify what might be issue causing this. Thanks,

I haven't read the other responses, but it's always a good idea to try the simple stuff first. I'd calibrate the IMU, even if the app is telling you the IMU doesn't require calibration.

D

Just throwing this out there...Did you happen to know the KP index when you were having these issues? Sometimes a high KP index can affect GPS systems.

I agree with Donnie, I calibrate the compass in every new location and quite frequently carefully recalibrate the IMU. If u happen to also operate a new MAVIC 2, u understand how incredibly sensitive this equipment can be to the slghtest electromagnetic magnetic disturbances. Alastir is correct although I have never seen KP greater than 4, I check it before every flight with Drone Buddy.

Just throwing this out there...Did you happen to know the KP index when you were having these issues? Sometimes a high KP index can affect GPS systems.
I didnt know about the Kp-Index, I found this video on youtube
. However, I couldnt find any kp-index reading for cyprus. So I am not quite sure whether its caused by magnetic resonance. Besides, we are closer to the aclinic line, it seems that people closer to the poles are most likely to experience problems with GPS.

I had 18 takeoffs in the weekend for surveying the coastline. IMU and compass calibrations done at the beginning, and haven't experienced any problems with the first 10 flights. However, later flights were not quite ok. The distance between these 18 points were 8-10 km. I travelled by car without disassembling the drone. I am not sure whether its changing position or getting closer to the industrial zone and high voltage transmission lines that caused the slight drift in my last flights. It's not super bad, but I had to correct its position in every 10-20 seconds to get a proper image set.
I am going to do some more experimentations with and without calibration at the same exact place where I had issues to verify that, whether its the transmission line or the calibration. Thanks for the comments.

Drone Maplog.jpg

Last edited:
FlyingArchitect, I am having the same issue. Severe drifting. I had a local DJI dealer/repair shop check it out and said it was OK. I just don't believe it. I do not remember the Inspire behaving this way in the past. I used to be able to take panos (manually) and stitch with no issues. Today, I went out to do another test and the drift was considerable at around 25 meters. It EVENTUALLY stopped, but this is not normal.

Drone shop showed me a brand new I1 v2 and how it drifts as well. I did notice some drift (especially vertical), but the horizontal drift was not as severe as mine. I've done all the IMU/compass calibrations and they didn't do squat.

I am a photographer and have relied on this bird for twilight/sunset panos. I can no longer do them as the images will not even stitch, so it is going into the closet. I do have a Mavic 2 Pro, but it's low light imaging is too noisy even at ISO 100. That drone is pretty awesome and stable. I understand the tech is way beyond that of the I1. But, my Inspire never drifted this badly. Kp=2, 14 sats, 90F Wind 13mph gusts 13mph, Vis 9 miles, partly cloudy.

IF you find a solution that improves inflight stability, please let me know. I've read in places could be barometer, but that is mostly for vertical drift.

Drone shop said...it's an old drone, they drift, the MP2 has spoiled you. I've flown my I1 since 2015 and have not had such trouble.

Thanks.

I'm curious to know how many of you or how many of those that complained have some sort of experience with electronics? and I'm not talking about the type of experience you learn from a book that is given to you by somebody that decides what content you will learn. The type of experience I'm talking about is the one where you actually have a curiosity, one that doesn't need a book, ignoring what the "usual learning curve" should be and is guided by the need to know how everything works, and never accepting one reason or one opinion even if the one speaking is the manufacturer.

In my case, as I’m well in my 30s, some people see this as just another know-it-all telling others what to think. Others see this as exactly the type of experience that will never stop enriching your database of knowledge, its an obsession, its a compulsion, it annoys a lot of people, myself included, but it just needs to be part of this episode and might come in handy for a future one. It doesn't always come as a very diplomatic entrance but if a forum tends to be more of a resourceful conversation starter instead of the usual Happy mix of trolls, admins that pretend like they know but always serve GENERIC crap or punish those that create a thread that's been created a hundred times before just because of "forum rules", then the true power of a community is advancing convention and benefits the masses.... I'm not saying I'm part of this group but why is it that most of the civilization changing Visionaries don't finish school or tend to not follow standard practice but instead they take the long way to whatever goal they want to reach...... I believe this is exactly what pushes me forward because it's just me myself and time.

Where am I going with this, are you asking? so first I felt like I had to explain why my answer was harsh, but it's not. When you start this self-taught process early on you start to develop reflexes such as purchasing an accidental warranty with my first drone, the spark and this allowed me to push the spark to its limits and Beyond and if you go look up my username on DJI forums you will see that some of the administration over there has "organized" my threads and put them in a place where they are not super visible because they Disturbed convention; like making sure you understand how The Accidental warranty works and in the name of science you push and push and push Until It Breaks while staying within the guidelines knowing that in a week or two you'll be able to start again for a 0$ or very low cost. In my case I destroyed 4 Sparks and DJI were not able to give me any responsibility or forcing me to pay for the replacement, but I did because I just wanted to get the Drone faster. But the spark yes it does drift like every single other drone for every single other flying object ever created unless there is not a single millivolt powering it

There are three components that are pretty much 95% of the behavior in flight, compass, the gyro and the GPS, also includes the barometer / downward facing visual positioning sensor which one is using air pressure and the other Sonar. In most cases the gyroscope is the one that always causes major problems because it is the only one that actually has moving parts and when I mean moving parts I mean over time it tends to drift off it's Center axis and needs recalibration. . It's also the only sensor that your drone cannot lived without because take away the GPS take away the compass and the sonar but if you can see it, you can still fly it. On the other hand without the gyroscope when you push the left joystick up the drone has no idea where up is or left or right, according to its own position.

The gyroscope also serves as the Baseline for all the other sensors and because of this very reason, if you have a gyroscope that isn't functioning with the Precision it should, the other sensors, especially the compass and GPS, they have no way to compensate so they usually go into that safe mode what we call attitude which pretty much leaves flying up to you. And until it didn't start to compute the measurements correctly it will be at the mercy of the elements like wind…assuming the gyroscope functions correctly (which can be confirmed in a perfect weather condition if you press forward the Drone flies straight and forward, if you have a deviation such as the Drone flying straight but at a slight yaw angle like I had many times with my spark, or perhaps never being able to have the gimbal centered and always at a slight angle off horizon).

For the inspire, I have disassembled 3 difference models, a V2, a Pro (i think) and my very own V1. Two of them had no previous history of crashes but as many have pointed out it had a head of its own switching to manual flight modes without any warning or pattern.

I discovered a pattern in 2 of them. What I found in common were tiny fragments which had no apparent origin within the GPS module. Both drones had fragments that were metallic as they stuck to other metallic parts and would be easily disturbed by the magnets in my screwdriver. I've been carefully looking at the possible origin of these fragments and unfortunately I have no idea. But is there anybody here with that problem willing to disassemble the top shell where GPS is housed and can remove the Faraday cage that Shields the GPS controller and circuits from any other interference and see if those fragments are apparent and if so clean them with the slight press of compressed air and immediately test the Drone for 2 3 5 or 10 flights and confirm if this is still an issue I certainly will be doing that when the rest of mine maintenance is done.

1.jpg

EDIT: I can confirm this has fixed all GPS related issues for me. Below is a signal report of 2 similar flights, the one on the left is before the GPS maintenance. The signal was constantly going from X to 0 to Z
12.PNG

Last edited:
There are three components that are pretty much 95% of the behavior in flight, compass, the gyro and the GPS, also includes the barometer / downward facing visual positioning sensor which one is using air pressure and the other Sonar. In most cases the gyroscope is the one that always causes major problems because it is the only one that actually has moving parts and when I mean moving parts I mean over time it tends to drift off it's Center axis and needs recalibration. . It's also the only sensor that your drone cannot lived without because take away the GPS take away the compass and the sonar but if you can see it, you can still fly it. On the other hand without the gyroscope when you push the left joystick up the drone has no idea where up is or left or right, according to its own position.

The gyroscope also serves as the Baseline for all the other sensors and because of this very reason, if you have a gyroscope that isn't functioning with the Precision it should, the other sensors, especially the compass and GPS, they have no way to compensate so they usually go into that safe mode what we call attitude which pretty much leaves flying up to you. And until it didn't start to compute the measurements correctly it will be at the mercy of the elements like wind…assuming the gyroscope functions correctly (which can be confirmed in a perfect weather condition if you press forward the Drone flies straight and forward, if you have a deviation such as the Drone flying straight but at a slight yaw angle like I had many times with my spark, or perhaps never being able to have the gimbal centered and always at a slight angle off horizon).

For the inspire, I have disassembled 3 difference models, a V2, a Pro (i think) and my very own V1. Two of them had no previous history of crashes but as many have pointed out it had a head of its own switching to manual flight modes without any warning or pattern.

I discovered a pattern in 2 of them. What I found in common were tiny fragments which had no apparent origin within the GPS module. Both drones had fragments that were metallic as they stuck to other metallic parts and would be easily disturbed by the magnets in my screwdriver. I've been carefully looking at the possible origin of these fragments and unfortunately I have no idea. But is there anybody here with that problem willing to disassemble the top shell where GPS is housed and can remove the Faraday cage that Shields the GPS controller and circuits from any other interference and see if those fragments are apparent and if so clean them with the slight press of compressed air and immediately test the Drone for 2 3 5 or 10 flights and confirm if this is still an issue I certainly will be doing that when the rest of mine maintenance is done.

EDIT: I can confirm this has fixed all GPS related issues for me. Below is a signal report of 2 similar flights, the one on the left is before the GPS maintenance. The signal was constantly going from X to 0 to Z
You mean there are leftover pieces from soldering that should be removed, otherwise it cause problems? If so, that is a manufacturing defect and we can claim a free repair for the defected part? Are you sure that is the real cause of the problem?

I'm curious to know how many of you or how many of those that complained have some sort of experience with electronics? and I'm not talking about the type of experience you learn from a book that is given to you by somebody that decides what content you will learn. The type of experience I'm talking about is the one where you actually have a curiosity, one that doesn't need a book, ignoring what the "usual learning curve" should be and is guided by the need to know how everything works, and never accepting one reason or one opinion even if the one speaking is the manufacturer.

In my case, as I’m well in my 30s, some people see this as just another know-it-all telling others what to think. Others see this as exactly the type of experience that will never stop enriching your database of knowledge, its an obsession, its a compulsion, it annoys a lot of people, myself included, but it just needs to be part of this episode and might come in handy for a future one. It doesn't always come as a very diplomatic entrance but if a forum tends to be more of a resourceful conversation starter instead of the usual Happy mix of trolls, admins that pretend like they know but always serve GENERIC crap or punish those that create a thread that's been created a hundred times before just because of "forum rules", then the true power of a community is advancing convention and benefits the masses.... I'm not saying I'm part of this group but why is it that most of the civilization changing Visionaries don't finish school or tend to not follow standard practice but instead they take the long way to whatever goal they want to reach...... I believe this is exactly what pushes me forward because it's just me myself and time.

Where am I going with this, are you asking? so first I felt like I had to explain why my answer was harsh, but it's not. When you start this self-taught process early on you start to develop reflexes such as purchasing an accidental warranty with my first drone, the spark and this allowed me to push the spark to its limits and Beyond and if you go look up my username on DJI forums you will see that some of the administration over there has "organized" my threads and put them in a place where they are not super visible because they Disturbed convention; like making sure you understand how The Accidental warranty works and in the name of science you push and push and push Until It Breaks while staying within the guidelines knowing that in a week or two you'll be able to start again for a 0$ or very low cost. In my case I destroyed 4 Sparks and DJI were not able to give me any responsibility or forcing me to pay for the replacement, but I did because I just wanted to get the Drone faster. But the spark yes it does drift like every single other drone for every single other flying object ever created unless there is not a single millivolt powering it

View attachment 26108

View attachment 26109
Only partly correct....

In answer to your question - I hold a degree in electronic engineering as well as PfCO for commercial UAV operations.

DJI's flight systems have 3 gyros which measure angular velocity on the three axis. Gyros cannot measure linear velocity, which is why the aircraft also require accelerometers which together form the IMU (or multiple if using redundant systems).
Leaving aside the UBlox or GPS/GLONAS module which is only concerned with positional data, if the aircraft loses all gyro and accelerometer data it theoretically can still be flown by sight.
The flight controller is the unit concerned with outputting thrust signals to the esc's and thus the motors via a modulated (square wave) and this is independently mapped to the four channels of the gimbal sticks on the RC.
The aircraft doesn't care where up, left, right is etc when interpreting stick input. It simply maps stick throw proportionally to the correct motors.
In other words (assuming mode 2), an increase in throttle (left stick up) will translate into equal thrust being applied to all four motors in a quad configuration.
The closed loop feedback system of IMU, GPS, Magnometer and barometer is there to assist and stabilize the airframe and allow for 'autonomous' flight/stabilisation with no stick input as well as corrective inputs fed to the FC via the flight algorithms.

I trust that isn’t too generic for you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa