Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Drifting to the left side in ATTI Mode

Reaction score
Hi Guys, recently i just had this problem with my Inspire 1, i was flying in GPS mode and then i switched to ATTI Mode to have a smooth shoot, the Drone was static in the air and then it start to drift to the left side, i was thinking that was a wind problem but then i shoot indoor without wind and it did the same thing, anyone had the same problem and maybe know how to fix it? Appreciate any kind of suggestion. Thank a lot Ciao

In atti mode you will rarely get it to hold position. Even if the air is still there are imperfections in the motors and blades. Even the air currents in a large room will make a difference. It is not meant to hover still in atti without your corrective inputs.

Also your IMU calibration may have been made on a slightly less than level surface. If the surface was just slightly out to the right by a degree or two the Inspire will think it needs to go left to get to what it " thinks" is level.
Hope that makes sense.

Nothing wrong with your craft.
If you fly in Atti mode no.1 - in stronger wind it will drift in wind direction
no. 2 - in no wind it will drift in an unpredictable direction because props are creating a mixed air movement below the craft in different directions, two props turning clockwise and the other two counter-clockwise; if you watch the props in slow motion each one has a different speed (one of the reason for different prop speed is that the craft is not 100% center balanced, which is normal, and the autopilot is making the craft as levelled as possible) that is why the craft is moving in a certain direction.
Inside the room where there is no air movement at all (until the craft is airborne) it pays the same explanation as no. 2. The air is bouncing from the floor and close walls are making the craft even more unstable than outside at 4 ft and above from ground.
A simple test you can do is get a small indoor drone and try to fly it through the narrow doorway or just close to the ground. Light styrofoam chips on the floor will also give you an idea of the air movement while flying the drone over it.

Lets just call it the law of physics.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with your craft.
If you fly in Atti mode no.1 - in stronger wind it will drift in wind direction
no. 2 - in no wind it will drift in an unpredictable direction because props are creating a mixed air movement below the craft in different directions, two props turning clockwise and the other two counter-clockwise; if you watch the props in slow motion each one has a different speed (one of the reason for different prop speed is that the craft is not 100% center balanced, which is normal, and the autopilot is making the craft as levelled as possible) that is why the craft is moving in a certain direction.
Inside the room where there is no air movement at all (until the craft is airborne) it pays the same explanation as no. 2. The air is bouncing from the floor and close walls are making the craft even more unstable than outside at 4 ft and above from ground.
A simple test you can do is get a small indoor drone and try to fly it through the narrow doorway or just close to the ground. Light styrofoam chips on the floor will also give you an idea of the air movement while flying the drone over it.

Lets just call it the law of physics.
But the OP said his craft consistently drifts left. If that is happening then there is something not right.
If it is random drift then yes, it's physics and the nature of atti.

But the OP said his craft consistently drifts left. If that is happening then there is something not right.
If it is random drift then yes, it's physics and the nature of atti.

Yesterday I check two of my phantoms for drifting pattern in ATTi and one is drifting the same direction as his back left every time if no wind ,and second one drifts forward . Each of the phantom is equipped with different payload which is distributer differently.
The phantom with taranis radio I can change the drift direction using a trim knobs on the radio.
Unfortunately on Phantom or Inspire with stock radio you don't have this option ; I guess only way to change direction is to add the weight to opposite side. Again if you have small drone hovering ,than by lightly touching it ,it will change the flight direction.

Last edited:
when flying inside there are frequently small air currents, try yawing the drone during the drift and see if it goes int he same compass direction of same relative direction,
also about 1ms of drift without any wind is about as good as you will ever get

I have this problem, which I noticed the first time I attempted to fly indoors. My Inspire drifted to its left side. I thought it was an air current, until I rotated the craft 180 degrees, and it still drifted to its left, although now it was drifting towards the opposite wall.

I believe my drift is due to a misalignment of my Inspire's legs. Here is a photo that shows the front right rotor:

My cell phone is directly in front of the Inspire, in line with the right front (shown) and right rear legs. The tilt is distinctly in, with the top of the leg closer to the body than the bottom. The other leg is tilted out, with the top farther away from the body than the bottom:

So either my right side is incorrectly tilted in, or my left side is incorrectly tilted out. Either way, the thrust goes down and to the right, and it drifts to the left.

There is nothing at all loose on this craft; this is how it was shipped to me.

I never noticed this because I always fly in GPS mode, and it always compensates. But this explains why I find it so hard to fly in a straight line. It looks as though I could loosen the screws in the plastic sleeve, rotate that arm, then tighten them. But I'm not sure what it should look like.

Last edited:
I adjusted my right side, and it is now tilted out, like my left side was. I flew today, and it seemed more stable, and more able to fly in a straight line.

I haven't flown it indoors since the adjustment, and I'm not sure when I will have the chance. But I am convinced that mine simply arrived mis-oriented.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207