Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 motor locked, How to unlock?

Reaction score
Apologies, the inspire 1 crashed and the the liquid in the legs flowed out in 3 of the 4 legs. So i bought new ones and changed them, still using the old motors. 2 of the motors are locked. When I connect the DJI Go App, it says I should unlock them.

How do I unlock the motors?

Last edited:
2 of the inspire 1 motor is locked. When I plug it into the Go App, it tells me to unlock them.
How do I unlock the motors?
A little more background would be useful.
Firmware versions, when did this start happening, which motors are locked?
Has this happened immediately after a FW upgrade?
Oh, and please and thank you go long way on this forum.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Apologies, the inspire 1 crashed and the the liquid in the legs flowed out in 3 of the 4 legs. So i bought new ones and changed them, still using the old motors. 2 of the motors are locked. When I connect the DJI Go App, it says I should unlock them.

Can you turn the motors manually?

Did you change the ESCs? They're probably dead if they were immersed in water.

Ah, OK, that sheds some light on the problem.
As Kilrah mentions above, did you swap out the esc's as these may well be fried as well.
The flight controller may well not be getting any feedback from the esc's and interpreting this as locked motors.
If the Inspire crashed and the motors were obstructed it probably drew too much current through the esc's

Reactions: DesertWindAero
I cannot turn the motors manually.
There's your answer then. The motors should turn freely (although you will feel some resistance from the magnets while you turn them by hand.)
Either strip down the motors and check the bearings or replace the motors.

As The Editor says you have faulty motors, the "Motor Locked" message is not a request to unlock them but an Error Message telling you that a motor is not rotating, you could strip the motors but from the sound of it your AC hit the ground really hard, new motors are the safest option, I'd also check all the Carbon Fibre and the joints at the landing gear worm screw and landing gear arms very closely for damage...

As The Editor says you have faulty motors, the "Motor Locked" message is not a request to unlock them but an Error Message telling you that a motor is not rotating, you could strip the motors but from the sound of it your AC hit the ground really hard, new motors are the safest option, I'd also check all the Carbon Fibre and the joints at the landing gear worm screw and landing gear arms very closely for damage...

I get another message which says "Restart your drone to unlock the motor". This message comes on when I exit simulator mode. But when I restart. it still remains locked All the other parts are fine, only 2 of the 4 motors are locked.

1. Can someone tell me how to strip the motors.
2. Where can I purchase one CW and CCW motor on the east coast specifically around New York.

I get another message which says "Restart your drone to unlock the motor". This message comes on when I exit simulator mode. But when I restart. it still remains locked All the other parts are fine, only 2 of the 4 motors are locked.

2. Where can I purchase one CW and CCW motor on the east coast specifically around New York.

It sounds like you might need some professional help. There may be more hidden damage that might cause it to crash again even if you replaced the motors or bearings. Respectfully, the questions you are asking lead me to believe you don't have a lot of experience with repair of RC aircraft. You may want to send it somewhere for a proper evaluation.

Reactions: The Editor

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with SanCap above.
The locked motor message can actually be a symptom of corrupt esc firmware which would require re-flashing.
A long time ago when DJI completely altered the drive characteristics of the esc's together with how they reacted to back emf from the motors the firmware locked up the motors until a restart unlocked them. This possibly could be the cause but I would take it to a reputable DJI repair facility who will be able to properly diagnose the issue for you.

Reactions: Phatzo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez