Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 v2.0 or P4P

Reaction score
While I did search the forum before duplicating a post and find bit and pieces, nothing specific to my questions. I would appreciate your seasoned input - am also new to DJI.

Not new to drones per se, own a Storm 8 (for sale) and had a Yuneec and got rid of it quickly <g> Also, just finished PPL ground school

I may already know the answer, maybe I need two units but realistically I don't want to spend more than 4k for this round.

As a photographer, I want to leverage for stills
> P4P = 1-inch sensor, 20MP (DNG, DNG+JPG)
> Inspire1 = 1.2/3 sensor, 12.4MP (though DNG is Adobe RAW which is a plus)

It's all about Sensor or RAW, pixels are more of a sales topic

So would have to score it for the P4P, larger sensor equals better dynamic range

------

Also, as a video DP, I want to use for a film and corporate projects
> P4P support H.265, H.264
> I1 H.264

> P4P = 2 degrees of freedom gimbal
> I1 = 3 degrees of freedom
In certain shots, say 30 degrees of pitch, I would imagine seeing the P4P props versus the I1 which pivot up

I1 does have a wider FOF view 90 verses 84 degrees.

So would score video somewhat mixed, H.265 is overall a better CODEC
I1 has more flexibility with gimbal freedom and wider FOV
I1 also should be more stable in stronger winds aloft conditions from what I have read

> Then there are the remote & dual controller options for the I1
> Like it or not, clients may look down on the PP4 as it looks like their kids unit
> Future lens upgrades with I1
> Ability to add FLIR thermal camera in the future

> Given the dual controller feature on the I1, how safe, controllable and accurate is flying as a single pilot and op, say using Litchi or similar?

So go with P4P to leverage stills, for now, stills excellent video, just not the upgrade path, stability and perhaps frowned upon by clients who don't know better or I1, somewhat but still decent stills but a longer runway to upgrade

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
I think you've nailed this comparison on the head but am wondering why you have not compared the P4P vs. Inspire 1 Pro. You mentioned your budget was $4k and based on what I see you like in the I1 V2.0 you can get all of that plus better imaging with the MFT sensor. Any specific reason why you decided to compare to the I1 V2.0?

If you have any further questions about either of these setups give us a shout...and welcome to the forum! :)

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Great question and only based mainly on two points during my initial review, wanting to have enough for a healthy reserve for accessories and also, unit as out of stock, which perhaps is a short-term condition and as such perhaps did not spend enough time reviewing specs. The X5 would certainly close the gap for still...

Lastly and to honest, like the people I know who ride really technical mountain biking verses my comfort with riding single track, don't get more than you can ride out of the gate - guess I have a little apprehension with both I1 or Pro

Reactions: Lloyd
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Great question and only based mainly on two points during my initial review, wanting to have enough for a healthy reserve for accessories and also, unit as out of stock, which perhaps is a short-term condition and as such perhaps did not spend enough time reviewing specs. The X5 would certainly close the gap for still...

Lastly and to honest, like the people I know who ride really technical mountain biking verses my comfort with riding single track, don't get more than you can ride out of the gate - guess I have a little apprehension with both I1 or Pro

No problem and yes, the X5 definitely closes the imaging capability gap between the two and you would be far more happy with the MFT sensor of the Pro that than of the X3.

I completely understand the apprehension to the $$ of the two options. P4P is a great starting point and you could always ease into the Inspire series later on. 1-inch sensor on the P4P does not disappoint.

Should you have any further questions feel free to give us a call or reach out on our live chat.

Inspire all the way!! Might want to ask this question on the Phantom forum, you're going to get all votes for the Inspire on this forum!!

Likely correct.

> Given the dual controller feature on the I1, how safe, controllable and accurate is flying as a single pilot and op, say using Litchi or similar?

With zero experience of drones but a mature head on my shoulders I dived straight into the Inspire 1V2 and it's an incredible platform. I now own a P4P too and it is a wonderfully stable little machine with a battery life which can almost lull you into a false sense of security....thank DJI for audible alarms!

I fly the Inspire on Autopilot missions and you can either happily program all your camera angles into the flight or take joystick control of the gimbal yourself....and it just seems to work.

The Inspire seems to be a lovely workhorse if you take care of it (and its batteries). Image-wise. the P4P will beat the I1V2...the I1Pro though, that's a different matter.

Reactions: Advexure
I personally have a couple hundred hours using Autopilot over the years and the Inspire & Autopilot combination has been killer on some projects that I've done. Very safe and reliable but it does take some time to become comfortable with setting the aircraft free with Autopilot. I've had two crashes with an I1 Pro using Autopilot. Both on waypoint missions and both stupid mistakes. First incident I was dragging a waypoint with the mission engaged and dragged the waypoint to close to a tree, clipped a branch and down she went. Second incident was at a golf course (Erin Hills in WI, the host of next month's US Open) doing aerial course flyovers and the producer was after a steep altitude drop in a fairway and I ran a test mission too fast while observing our altitudes and had a graceful run in with a ridge in the fairway. That accident actually caused more damage to the grass in the fairway than to the Inspire.

Overall, Autopilot definitely makes a single op application quite a bit easier. Definitely a small learning curve to Autopilot but once you get the hang of it you'll fall in love and you probably will never get around to using the endless options it offers.

I can hands down give Autopilot a +1 along with the Inspire for all of the same reasons @Eyeup Arial Solutions mentioned above. Inspires are simply workhorses. :cool:

With zero experience of drones but a mature head on my shoulders I dived straight into the Inspire 1V2 and it's an incredible platform. I now own a P4P too and it is a wonderfully stable little machine with a battery life which can almost lull you into a false sense of security....thank DJI for audible alarms!

I fly the Inspire on Autopilot missions and you can either happily program all your camera angles into the flight or take joystick control of the gimbal yourself....and it just seems to work.

The Inspire seems to be a lovely workhorse if you take care of it (and its batteries). Image-wise. the P4P will beat the I1V2...the I1Pro though, that's a different matter.

Certain good to hear about AP stability - know LiPo batteries have their own requirements overall, anything about the I1's worth noting?

That is the axis on which I am working through in my mind, go long with I1 or perhaps Pro and have room to upgrade or go the other route which will be cheaper but more limited, at least for video and lenses.

Thanks

I personally have a couple hundred hours using Autopilot over the years and the Inspire & Autopilot combination has been killer on some projects that I've done. Very safe and reliable but it does take some time to become comfortable with setting the aircraft free with Autopilot. I've had two crashes with an I1 Pro using Autopilot. Both on waypoint missions and both stupid mistakes. First incident I was dragging a waypoint with the mission engaged and dragged the waypoint to close to a tree, clipped a branch and down she went. Second incident was at a golf course (Erin Hills in WI, the host of next month's US Open) doing aerial course flyovers and the producer was after a steep altitude drop in a fairway and I ran a test mission too fast while observing our altitudes and had a graceful run in with a ridge in the fairway. That accident actually caused more damage to the grass in the fairway than to the Inspire.

Overall, Autopilot definitely makes a single op application quite a bit easier. Definitely a small learning curve to Autopilot but once you get the hang of it you'll fall in love and you probably will never get around to using the endless options it offers.

I can hands down give Autopilot a +1 along with the Inspire for all of the same reasons @Eyeup Arial Solutions mentioned above. Inspires are simply workhorses. :cool:

Certainly as I went through PPL ground school, I came to realize so many factors go into stable plane or UAS performance and stability during flight and descent.. Your golf course decent reminded me about descending flight and the weight of the aircraft which increases airspeed also creates drag which works to balance the forces of flight. Thanks

Worried when you mentioned the crashes but kinda relieved that they were user error and not the app. Must've hurt both times

Worried when you mentioned the crashes but kinda relieved that they were user error and not the app. Must've hurt both times

As mentioned, both were stupid mistakes and I will also mention that both occurred at the end of a long day of shooting. Carelessness and oversight to not run the first take of a mission at a slow enough speed to pause the mission at points where we knew our lowest altitudes could possibly be too low for the terrain in relation to our home point altitude set at takeoff.

As mentioned, both were stupid mistakes and I will also mention that both occurred at the end of a long day of shooting. Carelessness and oversight to not run the first take of a mission at a slow enough speed to pause the mission at points where we knew our lowest altitudes could possibly be too low for the terrain in relation to our home point altitude set at takeoff.

My reply certainly did not intend to be negative or pointed, just more aware myself how flying is a complex endeavor, be it pilot or UAS pilot. There is almost an entire chapter in the Jeppesen book on what is referred to as situational awareness

I have both, sold the Inspire 1 kept the P4P. Image quality, even though the Micro 3/4, is way better in the P4P. Not the same case with the Inspire 2 which is far superior to all of them.
Also you cannot compare P4P to a P3, P4P is super stable and the 5GZ help you control in far difficult situations without ever loosing control.
I fly 400ft high and 1 mile away shooting big commercial properties and is a hero. Today I named it a HERO because did a huge commercial mall with a 20mph wind! I just love it!.

DJI_0008.jpg

ACHdigital
I have both, sold the Inspire 1 kept the P4P. Image

What may I ask motivated you to seek the Inspire?

I always try not to purchase older, call it legacy technology which is how I see the base I1, yet also don't like closed-end systems and how I see the P4P, e.g. lack of expandability for lenses, remotes, etc..

At the end of the day I may go P4P as it will be a big step up from my storm 8/ Hero3 and sure as the sun will rise that a year from now more technology for less will be available.

I have both, sold the Inspire 1 kept the P4P. Image quality, even though the Micro 3/4, is way better in the P4P. Not the same case with the Inspire 2 which is far superior to all of them.
Also you cannot compare P4P to a P3, P4P is super stable and the 5GZ help you control in far difficult situations without ever loosing control.
I fly 400ft high and 1 mile away shooting big commercial properties and is a hero. Today I named it a HERO because did a huge commercial mall with a 20mph wind! I just love it!.

View attachment 13594
Nice photo.

You can get a brand new I1 Pro for $2899 on BHPhoto. There are also used versions out there if you're looking. You can fly the camera on an Osmo too if you need that capability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu