Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 v2 Compass calibration

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and have a question. I own a P4 and i only ever calibrate the compass if it ever asks me to (rarely) but i recently purchased the inspire 1 v2 and have seen people calibrate them every flight. Is this something that has to be done for the inspire? Any help would be appreciated.

Calibrating the compass takes no time at all and I personally do it every time.

Hi, new to the forum and have a question. I own a P4 and i only ever calibrate the compass if it ever asks me to (rarely) but i recently purchased the inspire 1 v2 and have seen people calibrate them every flight. Is this something that has to be done for the inspire? Any help would be appreciated.
No - it doesn't have to be done every flight. In fact you shouldn't....it increases the chances of getting a bad calibration.

Lots of threads already on the subject if you use the search feature.

If I flew every day then I would not caibrate....but since I fly about 1 time a week I do it.

I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve done a calibration that should tell you something.

I've been flying mine for years and only calibrate it if I move it an appreciable distance...like to another state. Even then, it doesn't ask to be calibrated or net any calibration errors. Otherwise, I can go months and dozens of flights without calibration.

D

the I1Pro seems to require compass calibration if you change your launch point by more than about 30 kms. Calibrating is easy and safe but just make sure you are well clear of any possible magnetic field disrupters like cast iron, concrete with iron bracing Or high energy transmitters. Just go into the middle of a field.

the I1Pro seems to require compass calibration if you change your launch point by more than about 30 kms. Calibrating is easy and safe but just make sure you are well clear of any possible magnetic field disrupters like cast iron, concrete with iron bracing Or high energy transmitters. Just go into the middle of a field.
"Seems to require ...." Curious as to how this info was arrived at? Do you calibration or interference errors when you move "30km"? Thanks ...

I’m sure I saw this in some DJI info but dont have time to research this at the moment. I have two I1Ps since 2015 & used them a lot for work until last year. Generally I found compass calibration was needed if the home point was a good distance from previously set. But as stated above, you must find a location away from potential magnetic interference in order to do a successful compass calibration. I’ve occasionally had calibration errors & interference warnings but now I put all mobile devices into Airplane mode and move to a location away from anything that might interfere. Once I got the error & realized I was standing close to a cast iron septic tank cover. I moved away & no problem calibrating normally. In case it’s not clear, never fly unless the compass is properly calibrated, having experienced a compass error once, it was very close to being disastrous.

"Seems to require ...." in case this is not obvious, compass calibration is indicated in the Go App under Aircraft Status although part of my standard checklist is to go to Main Controller Settings<Advanced Settings<Sensors and verify the stats of both the IMU and Compass

"Seems to require ...." in case this is not obvious, compass calibration is indicated in the Go App under Aircraft Status although part of my standard checklist is to go to Main Controller Settings<Advanced Settings<Sensors and verify the stats of both the IMU and Compass
Exactly my point, ...compass (and IMU) calibration can be over done and cause other errors. The general consensus for the past several years - as I have witnessed - is that compass calibration is not desirable unless you are going to be flying with a significant change in geographic location (say in the hundreds of miles). I have 8 drones, 3 of which are DJI (2 P3Ps and an I1 v2) and between the 3 of them, they total 3 different compass calibrations since 2016 when I got the first P3P. The whole point, as I understand it, of a calibration is to provide STATIC information that can consistently assist in GPS functionality. Re-calibrating often will undermine the static nature of this process is how I understand it. I suppose its only a matter of time, but I've not had any fly-aways, dumps, spills or crashes with those 3 birds. I did recently have a failed calibration but learned it was because I was attempting to fly from a cement picnic table loaded with rebar.

Good luck, stay safe and stay home!

Exactly my point, ...compass (and IMU) calibration can be over done and cause other errors. The general consensus for the past several years - as I have witnessed - is that compass calibration is not desirable unless you are going to be flying with a significant change in geographic location (say in the hundreds of miles). I have 8 drones, 3 of which are DJI (2 P3Ps and an I1 v2) and between the 3 of them, they total 3 different compass calibrations since 2016 when I got the first P3P. The whole point, as I understand it, of a calibration is to provide STATIC information that can consistently assist in GPS functionality. Re-calibrating often will undermine the static nature of this process is how I understand it. I suppose its only a matter of time, but I've not had any fly-aways, dumps, spills or crashes with those 3 birds. I did recently have a failed calibration but learned it was because I was attempting to fly from a cement picnic table loaded with rebar.

Good luck, stay safe and stay home!

Thats the way i understood it from using the phantom 4, if a compass error occurs on the ground and it asks me to calibrate the compass i move the uav away wait and see if the error leaves (generally due to interference) and its all good. The manual for the I1 also states to only calibrate when it asks it self to, so I might stick with that for the time being.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters