Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 video with minor jitter during yaw ><

Ok 1 min do you feel better now?

Read the posts - almost everyone is crying about jitter, jello, and vibration - DJI went backwards 2 years with the Inspire camera and mount - the Phantom 3 still holds the reign of being the best RTF platform for a third of the money.

It's not a case of feeling better Mike - you made a statement which I questioned based on a quick calculation of power consumption. Had the figures been in the ball park, I would probably have tried the zip tie mod/trick myself. However, they are way off track and at best I would say you may get an additional 15-20 seconds but with so many variables in a standard flight I doubt this would be measurable in real world situations.
Unfortunately, reading posts is all I do moderating this forum! You seem very 'angry' at the whole design of the Inspire gimbal system to the point of calling it a joke. If something bothered me THAT much I think I would seriously consider selling it!

I can fully appreciate that the zip tie mod can alter the dampening/resonance of the gimbal mount and alter the amount of vibration transmitted through to the camera but saying it gives you an extra 2 minutes of flight is a little far fetched/wishful thinking.
I also know of not one single instance of an Inspire gimbal falling off spontaneously or becoming detached from it's mount other than in a crash/forced landing.

I am also big enough to apologise if I have been mistaken.

Regardless of the discussion about the usefulness of zip ties or not, this would not help with the problem the OP is talking about. What I see is missing frames during the yaw or panning. You can't get them back using a zip tie
Sorry for that, a 0.2 cents solution would suit me great as well.

It's very common for the I1 camera/card reader/writer to skip some frames while recording in 4K, and most specifically during yawing the craft or panning the camera.
I noticed the same thing with the original 16G card that came with the I1 as well as several other 16G cards. I'm sure there must be a cure for it. Getting the fastest card on the market would probably help better than talking about zip ties. And maybe a bigger card like 64G would be better as well.

By the way: with a Gopro you get exactly the same issues, if you use a consumer grade card.

Zip ties can work great for anti shaking on a Phantom, true. But the gimbal on the I1 is very (well, extremely) capable of counteracting almost any kind of vibration, there's really very little to gain there. But it can't hurt to have an extra guard against falling off and only one would be sufficient for that.

Regardless of the discussion about the usefulness of zip ties or not, this would not help with the problem the OP is talking about. What I see is missing frames during the yaw or panning. You can't get them back using a zip tie

It's very common for the I1 camera/card reader/writer to skip some frames while recording in 4K, and most specifically during yawing the craft or panning the camera.
I noticed the same thing with the original 16G card that came with the I1 as well as several other 16G cards. I'm sure there must be a cure for it. Getting the fastest card on the market would probably help better than talking about zip ties. And maybe a bigger card like 64G would be better as well.

By the way: with a Gopro you get exactly the same issues, if you use a consumer grade card.

Zip ties can work great for anti shaking on a Phantom, true. But the gimbal on the I1 is very (well, extremely) capable of counteracting almost any kind of vibration, there's really very little to gain there. But it can't hurt to have an extra guard against falling off and only one would be sufficient for that.
Not going to argue with that.
I am ashamed at letting myself be dragged off topic :(
I will go and beat myself with a wet prop.

I do not worry about the jitter issue that much since I do not consider the X3 to be a 4K camera (it was just marketing hype) so I don't use that resolution.
The GOP structure and intra frame coding has been very poorly designed on the X3 platform and you get a 'jump' every 8 frames. This really shows itself more pronounced on yaws/lateral moves.
For now, sadly, there is nothing we can do about it - it is for this very reason I shoot 1080 50 or 60fps which although may upset the 'cinematic aficionados' goes a long way to putting a band aid over the shortcomings of the X3.

Reactions: lake_flyer
Not going to argue with that.
I am ashamed at letting myself be dragged off topic :(
I will go and beat myself with a wet prop.

I do not worry about the jitter issue that much since I do not consider the X3 to be a 4K camera (it was just marketing hype) so I don't use that resolution.
The GOP structure and intra frame coding has been very poorly designed on the X3 platform and you get a 'jump' every 8 frames. This really shows itself more pronounced on yaws/lateral moves.
For now, sadly, there is nothing we can do about it - it is for this very reason I shoot 1080 50 or 60fps which although may upset the 'cinematic aficionados' goes a long way to putting a band aid over the shortcomings of the X3.
exactly.

But we might get some better results in 4K if we keep the cards filesystem clean by using it only for one battery run and then off load it to an external device and format again IN the camera. Or better, have a card ready for every single battery you use.
It might also help if you take seperate shots instead of one recording through the whole flight. Easier to after process and edit and manage as well. And most of the pans I do are to line up for a next shot anyway. I hate the amount of pans I see in a lot of aerial videos. It's so.....droney :)

It might just help. Flash memory can get extremely inefficient, if not flushed and reinitialised very frequently. In the storage industry we still heavily rely on spinning disks for that, not only because of cost.

As I mentioned in my original post - most users are under the false impression that it is part of the inherit design to have the camera flopping around unsupported - I outlined in my post this is not only a lateral movement - it is a pendulum movement that degrades the quality of the images and causes constant correction which results in shorter flight times and unneeded motor use. I am averaging 2 minutes plus of additional flight time and my shots no longer have vibration and smearing as they did.

I also outlined in detail that due to the narrow air frame of the Inspire the mount has insufficient width to support the pendulum weight of the camera and the gimbal. Believe me - I have an extensive background in aerial platforms and I speak from experience, I only posted the problem & fix to help other Inspire users, in addition I prepared a report and notified DJI corporate of the problem - Helicopter design and aerial platforms both for hobby and commercial use has been my career for years - I'm not looking for any credit - just trying to help fix something that by all means is broken.

Regards Mike

Getting a faster card won't work For the most part the DJI system chokes on 4k too much data for the processor to handle. Some Inspires won't even record in 4K I have one machine that every time you record in 4k it reboots the DJI app.

Bottom line just use the 1080 p @ 60 it's got plenty of quality and resolution for everything except feature work.

As I mentioned in my original post - most users are under the false impression that it is part of the inherit design to have the camera flopping around unsupported - I outlined in my post this is not only a lateral movement - it is a pendulum movement that degrades the quality of the images and causes constant correction which results in shorter flight times and unneeded motor use. I am averaging 2 minutes plus of additional flight time and my shots no longer have vibration and smearing as they did.

I also outlined in detail that due to the narrow air frame of the Inspire the mount has insufficient width to support the pendulum weight of the camera and the gimbal. Believe me - I have an extensive background in aerial platforms and I speak from experience, I only posted the problem & fix to help other Inspire users, in addition I prepared a report and notified DJI corporate of the problem - Helicopter design and aerial platforms both for hobby and commercial use has been my career for years - I'm not looking for any credit - just trying to help fix something that by all means is broken.

Regards Mike
I am going to try that tie wrap option next time. If it helps to get longer flight times and better image, great. If not, no big deal to cut them away.

Reactions: The Editor
DJI knows they made a major mistake - look at the mount for the X5 they finally realized you can't hang a camera on a mount that is less than 2" wide and half the width of the Phantom 3 mount.

This is what happens when they try to make a drone aerodynamic, sleek and narrow it don't work - we don't want "pretty" aerial platforms we want one's that works best to carry the camera no one is looking at the drone they only want pretty pictures!

Jitter by yaw is just because of less than 60fps. thats all you need to make our eyes not see the frames when yawing. made alö tests by miself with varoius drones and cams. since 2009.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379