Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 VS Festival Zombie

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So those "zombies" walking around festivals, you know what I mean, apparently get mesmerized by the blinking lights of the drone. They desperately want to touch it, seriously, there was this woman coming in while I was taking off with her arm and finger pointing out she was going to touch it. Fortunately I had a friend of mine who was doing crowd control, but lesson learned - stoned people like drones too much.

Here is a video of one of those encounters - the girl is shouting "get out get out get out" in portuguese and I had to shove him off because he wouldnt leave. He ended up falling on the grass and stayed there for a couple of hours.

For the record, I was hired to film there, specifically those VIP lounges like the one you see in the back. I only flew on those areas with no people, and never on top of crowds. My max altitude was 15 meters, and I was always really wary because of all the mixed radio signals that could interfere, and also because it was at the sea side so there was a lot of wind.

All went well, but now that I experienced something like this, I know how unconscious it can be for people to fly any kind of drone on a festival on top of crowds. I lost control of the drone 2 times, fortunately for us Inspire owners, the return home works pretty well (and I gained control 2 or 3 seconds after because I have my channels set on auto). There are just too much radio signals and all sorts of wireless communications going on. Also, festival zombies.

Fly safe!

You mean you lost video? Certainly not control I hope, with all that crowd.
Interesting post though, thanks for sharing. Stoners are like children. They can't grasp the concept of danger when they see those beautiful green and red lights hovering above them.

In those situations, I would try to ensure a safe landing and hover zone, preferably marked by a police line (yellow/black). People tend to respect that, normally.

Sorry for the delay in my reply

I actually lost the control of the actual drone, but it flew back home and I regained control shortly after. I wanted to take a printscreen of the radio signal graphic to show you guys because it was insane, all the channels were taken with loads of signal in each one, but I was afraid to turn off my phone instead because sometimes it happens when I try to take a printscreen.

Hey guys!

So those "zombies" walking around festivals, you know what I mean, apparently get mesmerized by the blinking lights of the drone. They desperately want to touch it, seriously, there was this woman coming in while I was taking off with her arm and finger pointing out she was going to touch it. Fortunately I had a friend of mine who was doing crowd control, but lesson learned - stoned people like drones too much.

Here is a video of one of those encounters - the girl is shouting "get out get out get out" in portuguese and I had to shove him off because he wouldnt leave. He ended up falling on the grass and stayed there for a couple of hours.

For the record, I was hired to film there, specifically those VIP lounges like the one you see in the back. I only flew on those areas with no people, and never on top of crowds. My max altitude was 15 meters, and I was always really wary because of all the mixed radio signals that could interfere, and also because it was at the sea side so there was a lot of wind.

All went well, but now that I experienced something like this, I know how unconscious it can be for people to fly any kind of drone on a festival on top of crowds. I lost control of the drone 2 times, fortunately for us Inspire owners, the return home works pretty well (and I gained control 2 or 3 seconds after because I have my channels set on auto). There are just too much radio signals and all sorts of wireless communications going on. Also, festival zombies.

Fly safe!

In the video you supplied, I'm finding it hard to focus on the "festival zombie" here because see a few things in this video that I put squarely on the pilot for making this encounter possible.

1. Launching at dusk in the middle of a public gathering
2. No apparent crowd control.
3. Hovering at eye level after launching in a crowd.

I may not have all the information right but it seems like you are placing a whole lot of trust in the RTH feature. Especially, after losing control once... you went back for more? Fill free to fill in the blanks.

I was flying on the least populated area in front of the VIP building.
The client was the festival organizer and wanted me to take off there specifically. There was security there but the guy had a VIP pass and seemed very calm so he assumed it was fine.

The reason why I was hovering is because I always do so after taking off because if something is wrong with the drone I can smash it into the floor, if not it could drop from the sky on top of someone.

I was flying on the least populated area in front of the VIP building.
The client was the festival organizer and wanted me to take off there specifically. There was security there but the guy had a VIP pass and seemed very calm so he assumed it was fine.

The reason why I was hovering is because I always do so after taking off because if something is wrong with the drone I can smash it into the floor, if not it could drop from the sky on top of someone.

After the first time you lost control of your drone flying over this festival, what was your thinking when you launched the second time? Was the customer putting pressure on you to fly?

As for hovering at eye level as a safety precaution.. what is the difference between 2 and 4 meters when there are people around?

That was basically it, loads of pressure not only from the customer but a whole thing.

This was a huge customer and was referred by a big production company that hired me for a gig before - they really like my work as a videographer and the drone is just another thing I do. The guy from the production company has years of experience flying those massive drones with a RED mounted on and he was on the VIP building giving me tips and telling me not to worry.

The difference is that the close I am to the ground the easier to smash it to the ground if the drone is going crazy - I prefer ruining the drone than hitting someone with it.

I basically hated the gig - I love filming but I hate the pressure of flying a drone. If it's just a landscape with no people I'm 100% confident and only try to not wreck the drone but if there are people there I usually prefer not doing it. When i dont do it though, one of the competitors takes over and they just go all out crazy, if I linked some of the work some guys here are doing you would go crazy because it's 100% illegal and stupid - like flying at high speeds less than 2 meters away from a crowd in a concert, or 50 meters high from a huge crowd with a light drizzle and wind.

I've actually considered selling the inspire one and just buying a cheaper drone, this way I would be more relaxed all the time and would just do smaller stuff with it.

I completely understand now. I have been in similar situations and did not enjoy it at all.

So you feel my pain :p

It sucks!

I have turned down several gigs just like this - people tend to want drone footage specially on big events. Drones arent regulated in Portugal, there are laws that supposedly are there for the entire European Union but no one enforces them here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry