Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 dropped out of the sky

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? This would ruin my day.. It appears DJI is reaching out to him to get it taken care of.. but I'm hoping this is an isolated issue.

At this point we have to take it at face value but past experience shows you I ever know.

Could be op could be hardware, there always will be failures even at this price point, we are still a million miles away from aviation level of reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Every version has bugs. These are prosumer level drones. There will be issues or some defective units no matter what version.

I'm ordering the P4 pro this week and polishing the skills while I wait out the bugs to get fixed, the price, and maybe an osmo handle for the X5s to be annouced.

By the end of Spring none of these will probably have happened but I'll crack and get one anyways. At least I'll have the phantom when I want to fly close to stuff and indoors.

I read that he was flying with one battery, and it was not properly seated.

Just wondering where you read this. If it was pilot error this would be very good news. How solid is the source for this information ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what the guy posted in the comments on his own video:

I will share the flight log and the details. It is possible it was some kind of user error. I was using two batteries and when I initially turned on the I2 it said it couldn't launch because of the charge difference between the batteries. When I checked the charge status, one of the batteries was only showing two led lights. The second was fully charged. So I used just the one battery as I wasn't planning to do a long flight. I was just showing my son the drone. I see other videos on YouTube where they are flying with one battery. So I wonder if the battery wasn't all the way locked in.

On a side note I have had no issues or bugs with my I2. Its amazing how an aircraft cant look almost the same and fly so differently. Comparing the I1 and I2 is like comparing a pickup truck to a sports car. Its that impressive.

Operator error can be costly...who is the brain surgeon behind even thinking of taking off with one depleted battery? Consulting YouTube instead of DJI manual for operation? It's amazing to me an individual will drop 5K and not fully understand how to properly operate the aircraft and then wonder why it crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

This is what the guy posted in the comments on his own video:

Ha, I just found that text on the comments now.... I wish he would just put this info in the description of the video...

EDITED: Deleted my original response after finding the text referenced in the comments sections.

A little bit off topic here but I think it should not be possible to take off with one battery on purpose. Flying on one unit should be reserved for emergencies only such as failure during flight and such.

Reactions: Lost & Found
I agree. With all the other nannies why not this one ? Seems obvious that dropping from the sky can be prevent by software to check. Leaving aside this users deliberate action I can see it being very possible to do this by mistake once you have a number of battery's in your hands, even with the stickers they give you to track them.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here, although not recommended it should be perfectly safe to fly on one battery or as you suggest, the usual 'nanny' approach would have made it impossible to take-off.

The fact he even offers up the possibility of not having latched the pack correctly it somewhat of a concern. Having failed to take-off due to the mismatch he would have had to release both packs to remove the low one, failing to fully latch the one he used could do it...

I'm not sure how you'd ever do this 'by mistake' though, it would suggest some very poor battery management techniques if it happened. Just use them in pairs, always, check you have a pair and check charge state before you leave base and this is pretty much an impossible situation to find yourself in

Yeah it's looking like this is a possible issue but good preflight can avoid. I would still prefer a system that tells you if the battery voltage is mismatched. Just because I would feel better. This is my first DJI and I don't even have my I2 yet so I'm working from what I have read in the manual and see in review videos. Maybe once I have it it my hands I will be less concerned about it. But either way I'm going to be extra careful with the battery insertion and get comfortable with what a correctly seated on sounds like and feels like. Plus the extra care in charging and matching them. That's the biggest thing I take away from this guys experience.

That's great news! I thought I had read the acceptable difference was 11 percent max. But when trying to find it in the manuals again last light I couldn't. But I'm glad it's there. I guess I don't understand how people are starting flint with one battery then ? Are they forcing an override to take off ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan