Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 EOL

Reaction score
Today DJI announced to dealers that the Inspire 2 will be end of life after February 2022. No more stock is being produced. It was a good run. Will be interesting to see if and when there is a replacement- either an I2S or I3. Only time will tell.

I wouldn't expect any I2 or I3 models. I did a DJI survey a few weeks ago, and the question led me to believe that they are getting out of the large-sensor drone business, and sticking with the Mavic line.

It's a sad day for the cinema drone industry. For cinema purposes the I2 legit had NO direct competition at any price at any time during its run, and without a clear succesor this now leaves a huge hole in the market. The I2 nicely filled the gap between the prosumer Mavic line (a couple thousand dollars) and outrageously priced heavy-lift rigs (an order of magnitude more money at least). The M3C just barely touches on the capabilities but still lacks dual op support, proper optics, raw video capabilities, and a bunch of other great safety features. Now people getting into aerial cinema will have to choose between used gear (I have an I2 for sale btw, so DM me if you're in need!), the compromised M3 line, the still vaporware Sony integrated cine-drone, or maybe a Freefly Astro (still no cinema-optimized package last I checked) for double the price of the I2.

Sony is not vaporware. The Airpeak is available for purchase at around 15-20K all in which isn't to much more than the I2 all tricked out.
Haven't seen to many reviews of Sony's offering but on paper it looks promising.

Sony is not vaporware. The Airpeak is available for purchase at around 15-20K all in which isn't to much more than the I2 all tricked out.
Haven't seen to many reviews of Sony's offering but on paper it looks promising.
I stand corrected. That's a good sign for sure but it's still more of a competitor for the Astro or a used Alta6 than the I2 considering the price and payload.

It's a sad day for the cinema drone industry. For cinema purposes the I2 legit had NO direct competition at any price at any time during its run, and without a clear succesor this now leaves a huge hole in the market. The I2 nicely filled the gap between the prosumer Mavic line (a couple thousand dollars) and outrageously priced heavy-lift rigs (an order of magnitude more money at least). The M3C just barely touches on the capabilities but still lacks dual op support, proper optics, raw video capabilities, and a bunch of other great safety features. Now people getting into aerial cinema will have to choose between used gear (I have an I2 for sale btw, so DM me if you're in need!), the compromised M3 line, the still vaporware Sony integrated cine-drone, or maybe a Freefly Astro (still no cinema-optimized package last I checked) for double the price of the I2.
Agreed. The I2 has been an incredible platform. While many DP's will always want to fly the body and glass they prefer, in my part of the world between budget and practical considerations we fly our heavy lift systems less and less with the I2 being the preference for production over 70% of the time. And, really, between CDNG and PRR 6K on the I2, the image is stunning and I've seen it cut in seamlessly with just about every ground based cinema camera available. If you think about what DJI accomplished with the I2 it's really astonishing. Obviously it had and has its issues and bugs but the level of quality, size, performance, integration and cost is incredible. Nothing else comes close, including the current cutting edge. The M3C is a great tool and augments the I2 and big machines well, but it no I2 substitute by a long shot. I have not seen or used an Airpeak yet- hopefully it's a good platform. But the size and workflow for it does not compare to the I2. I have seen a demo unit of the Astro and I'm not impressed. Not only large but the controller and video transmission is very bad/laggy and the overall functionality is nowhere near the I2- a six year old system by comparison. And the cost is way too high. Maybe they will refine the Astro with time. I guess we'll see. What I really want is an I2S, with updated FC/processing, O3+, newest uBlox GPS, better stability and, maybe most importantly, faster lenses for the X7. Would be killer to have 1.4's or something in that range. I don't care about full frame for the I2 because that will necessarily mean larger, which I don't want. X7 is good but would be nice to see a X9 or whatever with better low light performance too. Maybe increase the prop diameter by 1" or 2" at the most. But if they grew the platform too much it loses one of its enormous advantages which is the almost perfect size/form factor. Anyway, I guess only time will tell. The rumor is that if something would be released it would be around September.

I would be shocked if DJI didn’t bring out a replacement for the Inspire2. It’s the go-to drone for all of the TV industry and most of the Film industry and a huge hole would be left in the market.

It would put me back into the territory of flying my Alta regularly which I don’t want to do.

The Airpeak doesn't really seem that far off from an Inspire2. Sure it is a little bit bigger but it does carry a wider variety of cameras and lenses. Video transmission and camera control are all integrated so you don't really need any more peripherals than an I2. From the few reports I've seen it seems to fly better (smoother and more precise) than the Inspire. That being said I hope we see an I3 and I think we will. My take from the survey a few weeks ago is that DJI thought more I2 owners would buy the Mavic3 Cine but I don't see that happening. It is lacking as a replacement and it cost to much to be an add on drone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963