Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Falls fromd the Sky, arm problem?

Reaction score
Hi there, i was flying yesterday with my partner a 24 fly old Inspire 2, we where about 25mts high suddenly one of the motors came off as result Inspire 2 crash, bracke 2 arms and the X5s Camera.
This is the second time i see this happening .... and other people has the same problem. My good, 9 .000 dollar Drone with that problem?? how could that happen??

Anyone find any way to fix/prevent this?

Thanks in advance

Hi there, i was flying yesterday with my partner a 24 fly old Inspire 2, we where about 25mts high suddenly one of the motors came off as result Inspire 2 crash, bracke 2 arms and the X5s Camera.
This is the second time i see this happening .... and other people has the same problem. My good, 9 .000 dollar Drone with that problem?? how could that happen??

Thanks in advance
Sorry for your loss, assume you mean you have 24 flights with this drone since new. Any hard landings or minor crashes with this drone? Don't know where in the world you are, what sort of average temperatures do you fly in? Have you reported this to DJI? Please keep us posted with DJI response. I do not have any advice on how to prevent this from happening apart from preflight checks on motor to frame security, although on saying that it could be detremental if you pull and tug on the motors to check security to the frame each time you fly.

All the best Les.

Reactions: Phil DeVore

Thanks in advance
Motor Mount Reinforcement Braces

Reactions: pepeticos
although on saying that it could be detremental if you pull and tug on the motors to check security to the frame each time you fly..

Although I appreciate the fear implicit in this statement (were you being tongue in cheek?), a firm but not hard tug on all the major joints would not be out of place in a pre-flight check lists, and should not cause any wear.

Although I appreciate the fear implicit in this statement (were you being tongue in cheek?), a firm but not hard tug on all the major joints would not be out of place in a pre-flight check lists, and should not cause any wear.

This kind of issue is very hard to detect. It is not something gradually worsening which would be possible to feel by trying to twist or pull. It is a type of sudden failure without any upfront warning and hence totally undetectable by any tugging or twisting. I personally agree that all these preflight forces applied frequently can only make the matter worse. The only safe remedy IMHO is some kind of external brace which would hard connect the motor mount to the CF tube or a jesus bolt through the mount and the CF tube with a locknut on another side. I was told however that drilling through CF can impact on integrity a of the CF as it cuts through the fiber strands. I have come across a NZ company Drone Depot which makes a brace and it looks like a solid design to me. I have no association with that company whatsoever but I am buying a set for my I2. It will give me peace of mind and provide extra safety which is crucial for my line of work.

This kind of issue is very hard to detect. It is not something gradually worsening which would be possible to feel by trying to twist or pull. It is a type of sudden failure without any upfront warning and hence totally undetectable by any tugging or twisting.

You are stating that with some authority. Did you experience the failure yourself after the airframe passed a thurough preflight?

Regardless, those Drone Depot struts look like a great deal of cheap insurance. I’ll probably buy a set as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

You are stating that with some authority. Did you experience the failure yourself after the airframe passed a thurough preflight?

Regardless, those Drone Depot struts look like a great deal of cheap insurance. I’ll probably buy a set as well. Thanks for the recommendation!
I have not had failure and MAYBE I will never have one. But after reading reports of the motors flying away I decided to open one motor mount to see the situation for myself. From my engineer brain's perspective I have to say that it did not give me much confidence when I saw how the motor mount was glued onto the tube. What makes the matter worse is that the tube is actually cut in half inside of the mount! So there is only half of the CF tube glued to the mount and that half only goes about 20mm in. So, the surface contact area between the motor mount and the CF tube where the adhesive is applied is actually very small for my liking. Therefore I've decided to order the braces from dronesupply. IMHO it is a solid improvement over the existing situation. I am not suggesting that the original design is flawed because I have not done any scientific stress tests but as an engineer I feel that it is not the best solution either. For those concerned I would suggest to open up one mount, have a look at the situation for yourself and make your own judgement.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, assume you mean you have 24 flights with this drone since new. Any hard landings or minor crashes with this drone? Don't know where in the world you are, what sort of average temperatures do you fly in? Have you reported this to DJI? Please keep us posted with DJI response. I do not have any advice on how to prevent this from happening apart from preflight checks on motor to frame security, although on saying that it could be detremental if you pull and tug on the motors to check security to the frame each time you fly.

All the best Les.
No hard landings and no crashes at all !! i am very carefull whit my drones as they use them for work.
Temperature was 38º C and i will not report to DJI because they do not care at all about customers and it is worse when you are in South America.

I have not had failure and MAYBE I will never have one. But after reading reports of the motors flying away I decided to open one motor mount to see the situation for myself. From my engineer brain's perspective I have to say that it did not give me much confidence when I saw how the motor mount was glued onto the tube. What makes the matter worse is that the tube is actually cut in half inside of the mount! So there is only half of the CF tube glued to the mount and that half only goes about 20mm in. So, the surface contact area between the motor mount and the CF tube where the adhesive is applied is actually very small for my liking. Therefore I've decided to order the braces from dronesupply. IMHO it is a solid improvement over the existing situation. I am not suggesting that the original design is flawed because I have not done any scientific stress tests but as an engineer I feel that it is not the best solution either. For those concerned I would suggest to open up one mount, have a look at the situation for yourself and make your own judgement.
E-Gads! Factory flaws are showing up more and more with this airframe! Motor torque over time could be the cause. ALL i2 owners should be concerned with this bonding issue. Yikes!

Reactions: samtheparrot
Not likely to be caused by motor torque.
More likely to be DJI's loose fitting props causing airframe vibration that breaks the glued joints.
A loose fitting prop's rotor tips vibrate up and down every half revolution whenever the airframe has any angle of tilt.
In the case of "red props" which are the loosest fit, thgere is as much as 5mm of movement.

Not likely to be caused by motor torque.
More likely to be DJI's loose fitting props causing airframe vibration that breaks the glued joints.
A loose fitting prop's rotor tips vibrate up and down every half revolution whenever the airframe has any angle of tilt.
In the case of "red props" which are the loosest fit, thgere is as much as 5mm of movement.

Not my case, i fixed the loose props vibration problem since day 1.

8 different failures on YouTube presented in this video, some analysis provided on some of these
One that crashed into the ocean
And this one actually shows the onboard camera revealing the dangling motor + mount in the video!
Here is another in Oregon

There is a subcategory of failures apart from motor mount issues which include battery failures, beware. It is good policy to lightly coat the battery connectors with a thin film of dielectric grease which can be found at most autoparts stores.

There might be many more failures which do not get posted on YouTube? I know that conclusive post crash investigations are necessary for root cause analysis, but several are incidents with experienced commercial pilots. Yes some very experienced commercial airline pilots also create or are involved in crashes too. But the incidence rate is getting to a point that is hard to ignore. This is the main reason that I bought DJI Care Refresh, however that is only available for new aircraft and payloads within 49 hours of initial boot and firmware upgrade. So the bottom line is to have a good insurance policy that includes airframe and camera too. Then you will have a period of flight withdrawal due to long time involved for replacement if this happens to you. Not to mention the FAA requirement of incident reporting here in the states.

Reactions: Lesmess
Yes! I agree but if you look at the website it states $175 USD as I assume NZ to USD exchange rate? But aluminum is more reliable than plastic wrap around? I do not know for sure, but these look like a very good design structurally. I am curious as to what they weigh vs. the latest Flickert design.

I have just received the brackets from DroneDepot in NZ and fitted them on today. The fit is perfect! I agree they are pricey but from my observation they are well thought through, well made from quality high strenght aluminum and only 68g total weight of all four. By putting them on there is one less thing for me to worry about when on a job. I wished they were cheaper but it is a quality product and to me well worth the price.

Last edited:
This thread has caused me to be worried and so I checked my own Inspire 2.
The motor mounts are fixed and seated as they should, but when you twist front right, it clicks quite high. Just as if it is not fixed properly. But still no movements.

What would you do?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters