Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Flyaway

Strange, it’s hard to say what’s gone on with out the craft, this may have been commanded by the App/SDK or it’s something else, with out logs we will never know.

One thing for sure I recommend to anyone is fit a gps tracker as even if it’s a total loss the logs are what your after.

Overall this kind of thing with any of the current craft is VERY rare, but again while is far from acceptable these things will happen from time to time.

About the only other suggestion is to just put signs up and get the word out that it went missing and see if someone comes back to you, search the area it headed in, I may pop up.

A read downside to 3rd party apps is the lack of guaranteed logging.

I am sorry for your loss though.

Did you attempt to switch to ATTI mode to regain control?

No. I kept trying to reconnect. The screen kept saying it was disconnected and was trying to reconnect, and that it was returning to home. All happened so fast.

Changing flight modes to recover control from autonomous flight has been SOP for some time now so unless I'm misunderstood something I'm very surprised that it wasn't your first response to the apparently uncommanded behavior?

I appreciate that you were seeing a 'disconnected' message but regardless, attempting to change flight modes when an autonomous mission goes wrong is usually an advisable step.

Reactions: instructor
Yes, in case of a fly away:
Always switch to the most basic flight mode you can.
ATTI mode in case of the Inspire 2

Has been standard procedure since Phantom 2, which had fly away's quite often.

On October 18th I was flying a mapping survey for a major customer. After mapping over 400 plus acres of a 1,447 acre project, I landed and swapped batteries. Continued flight plan. After about 5 minutes it left the pattern on a waypoint turn and flew away right over us as we watched. Several attempts to return home on both the app and controller it kept going. Lost contact at approx 11,300 ft distance and 21% battery. Never found....
Just a thought, can you have a look at your last log and see where the home point was?, Maybe it was trying to return home to previous home point??, As I say just a thought.

Insurance is there for when something goes wrong and it certainly did for me.

I was filming with my I1/X5R last Saturday on a diving vessel about 8 miles off the coast of Aberdeen. Everything went as planned especially when flying on the limits of my ops manual. I was taking off from the heli deck and completed about 5 flights when I called it a day.

The next day (Sunday) I was asked to get some shots of the vessel moving, we had radio contact with the bridge and asked the vessel to proceed at 7 knots. I was aware that this exercise involved an increase risk. I took off in Atti mode (off course) from the helipad and traveled about 50M away from the stern. everything was great, brilliant shots traveling through water. The director then wanted some shots looking from the rear side of the ship, this is when the problem started. I let the Inspire 1 drift until the director said it needs it to come closer for the shot, at this point I realised I was having difficulty in catching up with the vessel combined with connection loss for about 20 seconds. I had lost VLOS and asked the that the ship to do a 180. As power on the AC got low it wanted to return to home that was useless as our take off point was no longer valid. Eventually after about 10 mins trying to get VLOS the I saw on the monitor the AC hovering inches above the sea water when at 1% it gave up and and the North Sea took it.
Yes it was one of those scenarios that I would have done differently had I known what the outcome was, easy to say after the event, I would have certainly kept the AC well in view and not go with the instruction from the director/camera operator as all they are interested is their shot and not you or your AC.

Well well its time to put the insurance to test, no footage, no AC just my word and if required observer & spotter. I contacted my insurance on Monday and I have received full payment of a replacement inspire1 with X5R direct into my bank account today Wednesday for the complete loss less £250 excess.

I have decided to purchase the I2 with the X5s, it's extra speed and extended flying time benefits world certainly come into play when risk assessing future jobs especially flying over a nuclear construction site that has over 2000 people onsite. Having the FPV camera and collision avoidance and other redundancy is a no brainer. My I1 was great and even though the I2 is claimed to be better I certainly won't be complaisant. On a final note we did get some great shots and pleased that the insurance acted with such speed. I'm not going to say who I'm insured with but I will say they are not the cheapest costing about £850, an example of great service.

I plan to spend the Christmas getting to know the I2.

Iceboxvideo, sorry to hear you lost your I1, must have been a nasty feeling :(

if you're getting an I2, then it would be worthwhile you spending the extra few quid and getting the gps antenna for the rc unit - that enables the dynamic home point feature. That can be set to update the I2 home point to the RC's gps position every few seconds.

In your scenario above, the home point would have been your new travelling current position rather than your take-off position. Wouldn't have saved the aircraft if you'd not enough juice left to catch up, but at least you'd have both been heading back towards each other and might have stood a slight chance.

Hi Nick, Yes I'm sure if I had this technology I wouldn't be posting this experience. I would have got it back as the aircraft would have started RTH when the distance was getting too far for any reserve power. especially when we were heading back. The most important element is that no 3rd party was invoIved.
I have ordered the Cadence with the gps module, so looking forward to checking out the new tech. Regards David

Attachments

• DJI_0242.jpg
    DJI_0242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Iceboxvideo & NickU - what is this new antenna with dynamic external GPS called by DJI? The Tracktenna dome is not yet released. Is it the rectangular unit that is attached to the antenna connectors that are part of the Cendence? I think that I have seen a picture of it but do not recall the product name.

Iceboxvideo are you a part of Cyberhawk or Sky-Futures operations? I spent 11.5 years working in the Gulf of Mexico, production and drilling ops.

Mark's linked to it for you @FlyaDrone.

It isn't a big antenna for transmitting like the patch or tracktenna. It's just a small GPS receiver that's plugged in to the RC. The receiver unit fastens via some velcro on the top of the RC's tablet holder. (Not sure, but the functionality may be built Into the CrystalSky units, so they don't need the additional receiver attaching).

When it's connected up, there's an additional screen enabled that allows you to quickly set the RTH position, or to turn on an automatic update option. That monitors the home point position and the RC position every 3 seconds, if the two points diverge, then the RC position (home point) is retransmitted to the I2 to update it.

@Mark Taylor - Thanks for the URL datalink and NickU thanks for the description.
No wonder that I did not see it on the DJI website, it only costs $29! They never promote something for so little a cost = LOL. I was thinking you were referring to the Patch, which is more of a transmission signal amplifier.

iceboxvideo - thanks for sharing the details of the loss of the I1, we can all learn from your experience.
Which insurance company are you with? Sounds like a good one.

Iceboxvideo & NickU - what is this new antenna with dynamic external GPS called by DJI? The Tracktenna dome is not yet released. Is it the rectangular unit that is attached to the antenna connectors that are part of the Cendence? I think that I have seen a picture of it but do not recall the product name.

Iceboxvideo are you a part of Cyberhawk or Sky-Futures operations? I spent 11.5 years working in the Gulf of Mexico, production and drilling ops.
Cendence Patch Antenna
This unit came with the Cendence as an offer, I have now removed this device for 2 reasons the first being I can't see any benefit using this in the UK as we operate VLOS 500M and it also makes the unit heavier / bulkier.

I have no connection with Cyberhawk or Sky-Futures operations.

The Cendence is a much improved remote over the standard kit that to me always looks amature toy looking with few features. The cendence allows you to assign the spare buttons, I would like to see more choice options on future updates, I love the fact you can change batteries quickly and charge externally sharing the same batteries for the Sky pixel ultra bright. No more iPads shutting down in sub zero or high temps. The sky pixel for me is worth the money and at the day these are tools of my trade that future clients will see and hopefully separate the stigma of the phantom range looking tech (no disrespect to the P4 pro that is a very capable machine)

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hubnetix