Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 For Photogrammetry?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Inspire 2 with an X5s camera. I'm looking into getting into photogrammetry and I'm wondering if I'll have issues with the Inspire 2. I'm primarily looking into photographing large objects and recreating them into 3d models.

Is it true that the X5s camera has an electronic shutter? Will the make using the I2 difficult for automated photogrammetry?

I've seen a few photogrammetry programs and apps available but most seem to have to connect to the cloud. Wondering if there are any good options that do not require an internet connection to process the work.

Anyone have any experiance with this sort of thing? Thanks!

I heard use X4S when you gonna survey or inspection with photogrammetry because of mechanical shutter to avoid rolling shutter situation.

Reactions: jkerrins
Yeah there's no way I can justify purchasing an x4s for $1000 to swap out for the x5s when doing photogrammetry. Really disapointing the x5s doesnt have mechanical shutter. Curious if anyone has sucessfully done photogrammetry with their x5s to sufficient results.

Hello,

I have an Inspire 2 with an X5s camera. I'm looking into getting into photogrammetry and I'm wondering if I'll have issues with the Inspire 2. I'm primarily looking into photographing large objects and recreating them into 3d models.

Is it true that the X5s camera has an electronic shutter? Will the make using the I2 difficult for automated photogrammetry?

I've seen a few photogrammetry programs and apps available but most seem to have to connect to the cloud. Wondering if there are any good options that do not require an internet connection to process the work.

Anyone have any experiance with this sort of thing? Thanks!
You can utilise search.....

Reactions: MobileAndMonitoring
I heard use X4S when you gonna survey or inspection with photogrammetry because of mechanical shutter to avoid rolling shutter situation.
Agreed. I used the X4S with my I2 for mapping and now on my M200. works great. I use DroneDeploy for Client Missions. You can sign up for free and use it for 30 days. It is pricey unless you have clients already lined up. I don't have any experience with self processing images into maps. Good Luck

I have used the Inspire with the X5s for photogrammetry and tried it with different lenses.. Seems to work well with the standard 15mm lens and around 30m above ground level. I use Drone deploy. I tried the same mission with the 45mm lens and it needed to fly at 120m but the result wasn't as good.

Agreed. I used the X4S with my I2 for mapping and now on my M200. works great. I use DroneDeploy for Client Missions. You can sign up for free and use it for 30 days. It is pricey unless you have clients already lined up. I don't have any experience with self processing images into maps. Good Luck
Me too... I dont have any regular clients that would make getting a yearly subscription feasible... so I just do the monthly sub when one of them needs a Volumetric measurement or model... ($149/mth) and add it to the bill - client is aware of an upcharge for it.

Have also used Pix4d which I really love... very powerful and you can do all the processing on your own computer... but really expensive... this was my first experimental 3d model turned out nice for my web site...3D Model of Fissure 8, Pahoa, Hawaii - and the orthomosaic:

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 12.50.49 PM.png

Thanks for sharing the Fissure 8 model, very cool!
Which drone did you use for that job? 400 pics seem very reasonable.

Have also used Pix4d which I really love... very powerful and you can do all the processing on your own computer... but really expensive... this was my first experimental 3d model turned out nice for my web site...3D Model of Fissure 8, Pahoa, Hawaii - and the orthomosaic:

Used my Obsidian for that and Pixcapture to plan the mission and fly it... Got a bit of a scare when, after finishing the mission (and the drone was the other side of the cone about 1/2 mile away) it announced "Landing" - I physically cancelled the mission and took control of it and brought it home... but have learned since then that it simply means it is returning to home and landing. Yeah 400 was reasonable I thought... did all the processing in Pix4D (in the trial period)...

I've been using an X5S with pix4d. Have gotten some good maps. You need to look carefully at which lenses are most compatible. The results with the DJI lenses so far have been better than with other brands. The Panasonic lenses in particular aren't very efficient for mapping photos.

I've been using an X5S with pix4d. Have gotten some good maps. You need to look carefully at which lenses are most compatible. The results with the DJI lenses so far have been better than with other brands. The Panasonic lenses in particular aren't very efficient for mapping photos.
That's encouraging thank you. I only have the x5s with stock lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa