Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Thermal Camera..maybe..someday?

Reaction score
I would like to buy this platform for all my photo and video needs because I can't afford the M200.

But what about for inspections, no can do!

Will there be in the near future a compatible thermal camera for the inspire 2 like the zenmuse xt?

Thanks for your input.

Probably not an integrated camera as DJI intend the I2 as a photo/video drone, not an industrial drone. They've split the system design in two and targeted the M200 at industrial applications, so that's where you'd have to go for the moment.

The only alternative for you at the minute is to either buy an I1 and xt camera, buy an M600 and integrate the xt, or buy some bolt on camera that isn't integrated with the i2's control systems.

Probably not an integrated camera as DJI intend the I2 as a photo/video drone, not an industrial drone. They've split the system design in two and targeted the M200 at industrial applications, so that's where you'd have to go for the moment.

The only alternative for you at the minute is to either buy an I1 and xt camera, buy an M600 and integrate the xt, or buy some bolt on camera that isn't integrated with the i2's control systems.
I've done some research but haven't found a descent bolt on camera yet. It would be nice if the I2 had that capability.
Thanks for your input.

I've done some research but haven't found a descent bolt on camera yet. It would be nice if the I2 had that capability.
Thanks for your input.

The flir vue pro camera range is basically identical to the XT and carries radio metric etc. There is also a German system out there i cant remember the name of but it is bulky. They are all cheaper than the xt

The flir vue pro camera range is basically identical to the XT and carries radio metric etc. There is also a German system out there i cant remember the name of but it is bulky. They are all cheaper than the xt
I just watched a video from droneU about the flir cue and they said that the sensor was much smaller and that it was not suitable for Solar panel work.

@freedom55: Where in Florida are you?

We have a demo of the XT camera and could show it to you on a Matrice 100, Matrice 200, Matrice 600 or an Inspire 1. While it might not be exactly what you were hoping to get (many others also hoped for I2 integration) it might be something worth considering. We do take in some trades on all the platforms I mentioned earlier and might be able to get you into something reasonably priced enough that it could be your dedicated solar panel / thermal work system.

Thank you. I am curious, what would a buyer pay for a used M 200? Do they automatically lose 20% of their value?

I just watched a video from droneU about the flir cue and they said that the sensor was much smaller and that it was not suitable for Solar panel work.

I would fact check that statement as i was told by a Flir rep that they are exactly the same without Dji integration. That all depends on what model you look at of course. At the end of the day would flir really give Dji a better camera...certainly not as they are just a greedy as Dji.

Reactions: Advexure
I would fact check that statement as i was told by a Flir rep that they are exactly the same without Dji integration.
I think you'll find the Vue is the "consumer" level camera, as the XT is based I believe on the TAU style which is a different ball game totally. Try $1k basic for due compared to 6-7k basic for the other

I found one company that designs a solution for the I2 with the flir but it required the use of 3 monitors and seemed complicated with too many bolt on fixes. It appears that my goal for using the I2 platform for multiple cameras will not be feasable.

I think you'll find the Vue is the "consumer" level camera, as the XT is based I believe on the TAU style which is a different ball game totally. Try $1k basic for due compared to 6-7k basic for the other

All i know is that you can get a flir camera that does radiometric data, has the same resolution and costs less that he XT option. Certainly not consumer level as it carries radiometric. The exact name escapes me but it does exist as i nearly pulled out for one. I am sure it was a vue pro R. The xt does absolutely nothing better than the other Flir options out there. Your paying the for Dji integration.

The dual camera option is not as good i know but the single camera unit is identical in spec. The should only need another monitor at most as you already have FPV with the i2

I found one company that designs a solution for the I2 with the flir but it required the use of 3 monitors and seemed complicated with too many bolt on fixes. It appears that my goal for using the I2 platform for multiple cameras will not be feasable.

It will work but how much work do you want to put in? I have 3d printed and designed my own mounting units for the i1 and it did take a while but ive saved alot.

Sadly you can not expect total integration like what Dji offer when messing with things beyond normal use unless they offer it. If you were in the UK i would of gladly helped you built you own set-up mounting point wise pal.Just get talking to reps etc and find out what you need to achieve your goals. They do not know alot aerial wise so you have to fill in the holes in knowledge yourself.

Id personally say your better off learning to do things the hard way anyway as its all useful knowledge and it helps you feel less dependent on systems :)

Id personally say your better off learning to do things the hard way anyway as its all useful knowledge and it helps you feel less dependent on systems :)
I agree- trying to get any help in mapping was so difficult I've gone back to uni to do a masters in GIS / remote sensing to try and get my head round it - there is no better way than do it yourself - even buying a 3d printer and trail and error would be cheaper than trying to buy off-the-shelf which ultimately, might not be exactly what you want.

Well this just sucks, but glad I found this post before I pulled the trigger on a new I2 this month. I just assumed there was a XT thermal camera that would fit the I2.

I thought having the FPV camera and DJI Thermal XT would be a awesome combo together on Go app unmatched by ease of use to anything else out there right now.

Guess that dreams over I will just buy a Inspire V2 with XT camera now.

You can do a lot of custom work with the cheaper VUE thermal camera , however with the dual monitor setups most builders have stated only a 2000-3000ft max thermal signal live feed range compared to the DJI XT go app live feed reaching over a mile+++ same as day video feed. That limited range concerns me enough to save more $$$ then pay more for the DJI setup

Th
Well this just sucks, but glad I found this post before I pulled the trigger on a new I2 this month. I just assumed there was a XT thermal camera that would fit the I2.

I thought having the FPV camera and DJI Thermal XT would be a awesome combo together on Go app unmatched by ease of use to anything else out there right now.

You can do a lot of custom work with the cheaper VUE thermal camera , however with the dual monitor setups most builders have stated only a 2000-3000ft max thermal signal live feed range compared to the DJI XT go app live feed reaching over a mile+++ same as day video feed. That limited range concerns me enough to save more $$$ then pay more for the DJI setup

The range of the video transmission is a totally separate issue to the camera - without a decent radiometric camera with a good resolution - 640 for example, the temperature resolution is less, the picture quality is not usable, and for something like search and rescue, or temperature mapping can be the difference between getting a result or indeed finding a small pixel blip which is a human submersed in water!

You cannot compare the Vue with the TAU or TAU2 - they are totally different products - I know there ia a new range which offer interesting alternatives, however, unless you are paying at least 5000-7000$ you are not getting a usable solution. Workswell in Germany offer a kit which works on I2, and the starting price of that is 15000 euros. You must compare like with like to get an accurate picture with this - a product range starting at £1k for a go pro style camera - won't cut it in the pro arena, and if you ever had to provide evidential quality data to a customer who then used it in court or other legal case - you would be blown out of the water!

The newest technology is the FLIR boson it's cheaper, smaller, lighter and higher performing. We should start seeing it show up big time in drones it's perfect for this application. It should also lower the cost for guys looking to build thermal drone setups.

I haven't put Thermal in the air , but own about 30K in thermal scopes and monoculars right now and have owned/used thermal for over 10 years so know alittle about thermal in general. Thermal technology has advanced so much in the last 3 years it's crazy and pricing has been dropping also which is a good trend.

Personally, I think the DJI XT is overpriced , but it has a couple of huge pluses to it.

1: Ease of factory mounting
2: integration through Go app
3: Same live feed range as day cameras (light bridge)

Most custom solutions while cheaper don't work through Go app using a separate video stream/ monitor which doesn't match the factory light bridge live feed range) plus are as streamlined and easy to interchange back to day camera. Some do leave the day camera so you have both video feeds.

IMG_6233.JPG I saw a early beta boson 320 system at a trade show couldn't believe how tiny the new sensor package is. Is going to change thermal for drones big time. Basically , most everything out there now has become undated sadly with the boson release.

Watch for discounts and sales next 12 months on older stock/ current products. I think the whole industry knows there will be big changes moving forward with new drone boson solutions in development . Hopefully better pricing to come also.

I really should wait for new drone thermal solutions based on this boson core to hit market, but patience isn't for me. I want a thermal drone setup now :) and there's nothing wrong with the current setups their performance is still very good it's just that new stuff is always coming out yearly and pricing has been trending down also. The boson brings reduced size,weight and cost with even better performance levels.

Last edited:

I hear you. Its easy for big companies with deep pockets to buy 2 or 3 platforms with extra batteries and the most sophisticated camera gear but for the 90% of us trying to buy one do-it-all upgradable platform, is very hard. Unless you have the technical knowhow to build your own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08