Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 X4S exposure issues

Reaction score
I have an Inspire2 with X4S. Over the past few months I have noticed the exposures (in auto exposure modes) sometimes is about 2 stops overexposed. The exposure issue has gone from occasional shots to almost all shots. The only variation seems to be when I shoot video the exposure is great, switch to camera and exposure is 2 f-stops over, most of the time. When I start to shoot in video and switch to stills the first few pics (approx. 90 seconds) are exposed somewhat close, then the exposure increases 2 stops. The view in the CrystalSky or iPhone show correct exposure in preview but when SD card is downloaded the exposure is out 2 f-stops.
I have reset camera settings, latest firmware everywhere. Attached is a snip from Lightroom to show how the shift happens. Video is 1.42, then 90 seconds of reasonable exposure then the 2 f-stop overexposure happens.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I am 1000km from closest repair facility and hope it is a setting I dont understand or know about.

Attachments

• X4S exposure.png
    X4S exposure.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
I have an Inspire2 with X4S. Over the past few months I have noticed the exposures (in auto exposure modes) sometimes is about 2 stops overexposed. The exposure issue has gone from occasional shots to almost all shots. The only variation seems to be when I shoot video the exposure is great, switch to camera and exposure is 2 f-stops over, most of the time. When I start to shoot in video and switch to stills the first few pics (approx. 90 seconds) are exposed somewhat close, then the exposure increases 2 stops. The view in the CrystalSky or iPhone show correct exposure in preview but when SD card is downloaded the exposure is out 2 f-stops.
I have reset camera settings, latest firmware everywhere. Attached is a snip from Lightroom to show how the shift happens. Video is 1.42, then 90 seconds of reasonable exposure then the 2 f-stop overexposure happens.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I am 1000km from closest repair facility and hope it is a setting I dont understand or know about.
Cleaning contacts on the antivib plate and the gimbal would be the only thing I can think of.
When I bought my I2 wiht x4s 5 years ago I had exactly the same issue from the get go. Video was fine, all stills overexposed. From memory it was only when mechanical shutter was active. Try if the problem goes away by turning the mechanical shutter to OFF. My dealer tried to mount a different x4s on the I2 but the problem persited. Eventually they gave me another brand new I2 and the first one was proclaimed by the dealer as DOA and returned to DJI. I have no further knowledge if it was repaired and sold as new again or as a refurb by DJI.
Sorry for not being able to help more

Last edited:
Cleaning contacts on the antivib plate and the gimbal would be the only thing I can think of.
When I bought my I2 wiht x4s 5 years ago I had exactly the same issue from the get go. Video was fine, all stills overexposed. From memory it was only when mechanical shutter was active. Try if the problem goes away by turning the mechanical shutter to OFF. My dealer tried to mount a different x4s on the I2 but the problem persited. Eventually they gave me another brand new I2 and the first one was proclaimed by the dealer as DOA and returned to DJI. I have no further knowledge if it was repaired and sold as new again or as a refurb by DJI.
Sorry for not being able to help more
Thanks for the idea mmarian, it is a great one! I used an eyeglass single use moistened wipe to clean both connections. The anti vibration plate side was filthy. I dis a quick walking test (currently area is lock down due to wildfires) exposures are greatly improved. Hopefully once I head out to next survey mission the data will be usable. I will take along a second drone “in case”.07C285A4-EA5E-4402-8ADE-49FEFF41F96B.jpegD704B053-CAC3-4ED4-87DA-1482227CA178.jpeg

Well, I hope this dirty wipe is not result of cleaning the electrical contacts! By contacts I meant the delicate electric contacts which reside inside of the 'groove' in the centre of the ring on the camera side and along the 'tongue' on the antivib plate. They can be gently cleaned by cotton tip dipped in IPA. But usually the cotton tip end needs to be squashed with pliers prior in order to fit into the groove. You must be very gentle and careful to not damage the tiny contacts which are on both sides of the groove and the tongue!!! As said before, I would also check if there is any difference in exposures between photos taken with mechanical shutter in ON and in OFF position.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: hhung516
Well, I hope this dirty wipe is not result of cleaning the electrical contacts! By contacts I meant the delicate electric contacts which reside inside of the 'groove' in the centre of the ring on the camera side and along the 'tongue' on the antivib plate. They can be gently cleaned by cotton tip dipped in IPA. But usually the cotton tip end needs to be squashed with pliers prior in order to fit into the groove. You must be very gentle and careful to not damage the tiny contacts which are on both sides of the groove and the tongue!!! As said before, I would also check if there is any difference in exposures between photos taken with mechanical shutter in ON and in OFF position.
Good luck!
Thanks mmarian I used several q-tip swabs dipped in IPA to clean around the terminal contacts, they also were dirty. Initial cleaning was not 100%, have redone both connections again. Just been too busy within wildfire zone to do any further testing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop