Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Insprie 1 Crashes after second flight

Really? I'll keep that in mind as when I do the initial calibration in backyard tonight, I was planning on another at location which is less then 3 miles away. Okay DO NOT re-calibrate.
But do ALWAYS check your mod values prior to take off.
If something isn't right do not fly. Move location by a few feet and try again.

Reactions: Eric and LockMD
Not sure if that is correct. I have always recalibrate my compass before take off no matter where I am. It states that in the manual doesn't it.

Reactions: kevinlutch
Not sure if that is correct. I have always recalibrate my compass before take off no matter where I am. It states that in the manual doesn't it.
I was at the Data X conference in Santa Cruz and was told by two DJI employees that if your values are good then no you shouldn't have to. Yes I believe it did... Probably still does.

And I think that might be the problem.
I do not advocate compass calibration on location (unless you have travelled thousands of miles) as you run the risk of a skewed calibration but would never know.
Arg...
The calibration or decision not to confuses me...
Are you saying that if the mod sensors are normal once arriving onsite then a calibration is not necessary?
I am still calibrating for each flight and then checking my sensors. I do not ever get a red message saying that calibration is not required. I am running on current firmware and app.

Thanks. Did they repair it for free? How did you send it back case and everything or just unit in a box? How much did it cost? There's is only one update bin file that does everything. He is a pic of mine version off the app.

Just was reminded that there are indeed TWO firmware updates, not one. You must update the one for the controller AND the aircraft.

Mark

From instructions file.

Remote controller firmware is included in the aircraft firmware update package. Use the same update package file that is downloaded from the DJI official website. Ensure the remote controller battery level is above 50%.

Arg...
Are you saying that if the mod sensors are normal once arriving onsite then a calibration is not necessary?
I am still calibrating for each flight and then checking my sensors. I do not ever get a red message saying that calibration is not required. I am running on current firmware and app.
I only get the red calibration not required if I check IMU. I only dance when mod values don't look like my picture ^^^. Quite a few times just a short move away from metal things is all it needs to be closer to the desired 00, 1, 1500.

And I think that might be the problem.
I do not advocate compass calibration on location (unless you have travelled thousands of miles) as you run the risk of a skewed calibration but would never know.

Ok. So. Where is the best place to do a calibration?

An empty field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arg...
Yup.....have a look at my post here (post number 16).

I have long advocated NOT compass calibrating every 23 seconds etc. It just increases the chances of introducing an error in my opinion.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-toilet-bowl-effect.813/

Ok. So. Where is the best place to do a calibration?

An empty field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as that field doesn't have a old car buried in it!

Find a place (field, back yard, wherever) that you consider should give you a good calibration. Calibrate and make sure you get close to that magic 1500 mod value.
Now power down and move to a different location. Power back up and you should still get that 1500 number. Try it in a couple more locations and if it is the same, you are good to go.
Now you know you have a good calibration for your magnetic declination.
If you go to a site in a couple of days, put your Inspire on the ground and it is out of its 1400-1600 range, chances are it is something local upsetting it so move a few feet. If you did a calibration at that spot it would have been skewed and you wouldn't know but because you did it a few days previously you know you already have a good calibration locked in.
I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I did a compass cal. It was probably at last FW update. (I always do one then).

Reactions: LockMD and Eric
Just received RMA number and shipping label. Now I need to find a large enough shipping box cause I bought this in the USA and flew home with it with out the original cardboard box.

Go to your local office supply shop and see if you can get an office chair box. Most are very close in size. This is what I did.

I went from doing a compass calibration every battery to doing it when I moved locations and just one cc on the first battery or until my directional pointers lined up..

I've been flying by a lake the last 6 batteries and the first one I did a cc and my directional pointers were working correctly with a 1500 reading (I now check the mod values )then on my second battery the pointers were off 180..
did another cc and same thing for the five batteries with the same issue..
I went home and started up my i1 without doing a cc the pointers were pointing the right direction. .
long story short..
Next time I fly there I won't calibrate and I believe everything will line up even though this location is ten miles away..
So I believe this backs up the editors posts..
Get a good compass calibration and leave it alone unless you move far away..

hey shane hann, sorry for your crash

if you can say 100% for sure you let EVERYTHING update completely then did a full restart on each device, inspire all batteries and the remote so everything had been powered on and off at least once after updating "successfully" then i would say DJI owes you a new inspire, ignore the rest of my reply, if your sure not then read on.

when updating the batteries the inspire will sit there like normal after you power it on for 20 seconds up to a minute before a update starts. i think dji wants the remote off while updating the aircraft or batteries...(at least that's how i do it)

it's sounds like you might had used a new battery and took off either before the update started or was airborne while it was running. if there was a update running on ANYTHING while your were in flight then i think its a no brainier why it went kamikaze on you.

you can't touch anything while updating equipment or your just asking for a software glitch, (and that's sitting on the ground) even if you follow the steps exactly there is no guarantee it will work perfectly. (my positioning module is disabled from a firmware update glitch right now) so if you had the thing actually in the air and a update was in process i think you should be happy you got it back at all.

a little more perspective, when i got my inspire. i spent over 6 hours reading the manuals and learning settings before i even put the props on for the first time. first flight with any new battery is pretty much hover off the ground a foot or 2 with the gear down no further then 10 ft away. for 3000.00 and the time it would take to fix or replace i think it's worth the extra time with new stuff like batteries.

Last edited:
Are we saying that performing compass calibration could be a cause for flight issues?
I don't know about '"We" but I am saying that if the calibration is flawed then yes it will cause major flight issues.
That's not meant to sound big headed as some people do not agree with my thinking and and like to be calibration junkies and calibrate every time they move 4 feet or change batteries or change their mind or their belt buckle or their pants.

I don't know about '"We" but I am saying that if the calibration is flawed then yes it will cause major flight issues.
That's not meant to sound big headed as some people do not agree with my thinking and and like to be calibration junkies and calibrate every time they move 4 feet or change batteries or change their mind or their belt buckle or their pants.
:)
Does this apply to all previously flown locations?
IE, and I should have mentioned this before, I almost never fly in the same location. So if I fly at site A on Tuesday and then travel 10 miles to site B on Wednesday and then back to site A on Friday, do I have to calibrate the compass for site A?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth