Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Insurance

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has gone so far as to fully insure their uav(s)? Here in Canada in order to operate commercially you need clearance from Transport Canada (our FAA) in the form of a operating certificate. In order to qualify you need to have liability insurance. that's all fine but what I'm talking about is insuring the bird/cam in case of theft or crash. Found one company up here that just started providing policies... Might be something to consider?

Reactions: Harry Nicholson
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has gone so far as to fully insure their uav(s)? Here in Canada in order to operate commercially you need clearance from Transport Canada (our FAA) in the form of a operating certificate. In order to qualify you need to have liability insurance. that's all fine but what I'm talking about is insuring the bird/cam in case of theft or crash. Found one company up here that just started providing policies... Might be something to consider?

What restrictions on a claim or in place?

I guess we'll find out when I talk to them.... the likelihood of a UAV operator crashing a drone is high so it will be interesting to read the fine print. More to come...

Reactions: Harry Nicholson
I spoke to my insurance broker about it. Public Liability cover $685 p.a but nobody will cover drone for crash damage or loss here. My broker said that even if someone did the premiums would be close to 100% of replacement cost anyway.

There are several UAV insurers the UK and more emerging as the industry grows.
Basically there are two forms of cover. One that gives third party liability and one that also gives cover for your aircraft both airborne (crash etc) and for theft etc. Premiums are based on how much value you will have in the air at any one time and the level of liability cover you require. As a guide.... For £5,000 of airborne insurance and £5million of liability you are looking at circa £650 per annum.
I am with Ravenhall and have crash cover included. John Heath via Coverdrone is another outfit that will insure UAV's
The caveat for this level of cover is you must be CAA certified and have permission for aerial work as a prerequisite for them to grant cover.
Hobby liability cover is available through the likes of FPV.org but obviously if you crash or your rig gets stolen etc you are on your own.

Hmmm, only AB and SK.. Bummer. I'm in MB. I know a couple insurance brokers. I doubt anyone would cover the drone itself, but I'll be checking on liability. I'll report back after I speak with them.
Give those guys a ring, I bet they'd help you out

can you aslo ask them if someone from abraud (spelling?)
could insure their UAV... here in hungary there are no set laws yet and the only one insuring anything that can stay in the air is allianz...
would be interested if it is possible for me to secure myself somehow...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry