Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ipad air caching maps

could someone explain how to cache maps on the ipad air?
It is pretty easy. Open the Pilot App, go to the map and select the area you will be operating in. Start at the larger zoom (2 miles/4 km) and make sure you can see all the detail. Zoom in and move the map around the area waiting for each tile to download and appear clearly. Zoom in again and repeat. There are 3 levels of zoom. Once cached disconnect from the Internet (using Airplane mode) and check you have everything you need. This will work at your operating site. When using several sites double check you still have the area cached before going out as they cleared with time.

Reactions: The Editor
Sorry to dig this one up again and I understand you think it's easy but not for me!.....;) I have a twin controller set-up and the master has cached maps turned on, I've scrolled around the area I intend to fly and when I get to the site and open the app..... no map!.... at all, just greyed out boxes....... but the slave does have the maps and I haven't even scrolled that one around (although we are working within a mile or so of home?.....) last time out though I decided to check the slave and the "cached map" is OFF!......... am I right in then believing that after scrolling around to cache the map you have to turn it off?......... confused!....:(

Sorry to dig this one up again and I understand you think it's easy but not for me!.....;) I have a twin controller set-up and the master has cached maps turned on, I've scrolled around the area I intend to fly and when I get to the site and open the app..... no map!.... at all, just greyed out boxes....... but the slave does have the maps and I haven't even scrolled that one around (although we are working within a mile or so of home?.....) last time out though I decided to check the slave and the "cached map" is OFF!......... am I right in then believing that after scrolling around to cache the map you have to turn it off?......... confused!....:(
Sorry to hear you are having problems caching the map. It is important to keep Cache Map in Background selected on (green) for this to work. I can't explain why the slave is working and the master is displaying grey. There is a finite limit of the map coverage that can be cached but I don't know what it is. However, careful scrolling and waiting for each map tile to resolve (come fully into focus) at each of the 3 zoom levels as described always works for me.

Reactions: AndyC
I find my success sketchy as well. Seems like a very important and helpful function for enough pilots that I would like to see DJI or a 3rd party really perfect this. I routinely fly in desolate areas and flipping a coin as to whether or not the maps will be there when I get there is a bummer.

Reactions: AndyC
Thanks for your replies, I tried the cache again last night, picked an area I haven't used before and then turned off the cache in background switch, while at work this morning with no WIFI I opened the app (without controller) and the map was there?...... somewhat confused now though?......... maybe it works differently on different apps?....... I'm on Mini Ipad by the way....;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla