Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad/ Cendence disconnects all the time (started when I updated to IOS 11.4)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else is having this the same issue.

We use the Cendence controllers with iPad minis for both pilot and gimbal operator.

Since updating to IOS 11.4 the iPad minis (wifi version 2) disconnects from the Cendence after a couple of minutes. It doesn't matter if the I2 is flying or sitting on the ground, the iPad still disconnects and we get the grey bar at the top of the screen. We still have full control over the I2 using the Cendence after an iPad disconnect as you'd expect. If we remove the lightning connector from the iPad and plug it back in it reconnects to the Go 4 App and the disconnect cycle continues. We are using the latest Go 4 App and IOS 11.4. Removing the GO 4 App and reinstalling has no effect on this problem. Changing over lightning USB cables also doesn't help.

If we use an iPad with IOS 11.3.1 we have no issues but as Apple are no longer signing these previous releases there is no way of rolling back to a previous version.

What are you thoughts? We have had this problem with 3 iPads so I assume it's not an unknown issue!

Note: We do have CrystalSky monitors but stopped using them because they gave us countless issues on our commercial jobs.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Definitely sounds like you’ve covered all of the troubleshooting steps we would advise for this type of situation. Quite honestly I’m not sure what could be done other than to contact either DJI’s iOS dev team and maybe also submit the report to the iOS App Store so they can also contact the app developers at DJI. Hard to say whose end it will be on. Could be a USB accessory connection error in the iOS version or in that version of GO4 when on the most recent iOS FW. Sorry we don’t have a better answer...

The same problem here but with standar controler, no problem with litchy, today i have purchased a 2018 ipad, tomorrow will test, but i have tested it today at the studio without problems

Thanks Advexure and Jaime, I’ve reported the problem to DJI and hopefully will receive some update sometime soon. It could well be that the latest 2018 iPads are slightly different? That would be a shame because we’d like to switch back to the Crystal Sky once they are working more smoothly.

I have the same issue with constant disconnects using the standard I2 controller and a 2017 iPad pro (256gb, wifi/cell 'off', used several different cords) using iOS 11.4. Prior to the update to 11.4, I had no problems. It loses connection with the RC after 5 to 20 seconds, but I can unplug and replug the cable and it will reconnect, just briefly again, but enough to take a photo or two. The RC stays connected to the I2 throughout the period, it's just the connection between the RC and iPad that's affected.

I also have a probably 'unrelated' problem with the yaw control being on this sort of 'lag/delay' response that started around the same time. It will 'spin' about as fast as you'd want to spin a helicopter if you were in one, and if you hold the controller in 'spin right' for three seconds, it will spin for about three more seconds after you re-center the stick. Weird, but probably unrelated.

Same issues here... So what is the solution? Is this the IOS update to 11.4?. My older ipad air was disconnecting and i used my cell phone iPhone 7 that is on 11.4 and it worked. I also purchased a new ipad that was on 11.3 and it also worked. Now my iPad 5th gen and older iPad air that are on 11.4 randomly disconnect and these apparently cant be rolled back to 11.3(15E216) WTF

My issue started around 3 Go app updates ago. I was on iOS 11.4 without issue, and whilst on a job I noticed an update to GO, so silly me whilst waiting for my batteries to charge I updated the app. For the entire morning i had no issues with disconnects (4x sets of batteries) until I updated the app. The entire afternoon my iPad was disconnecting every 30sec, in the end I used my iPhone.

Fast forward to the latest GO update (4.2.22) and it still does it. Not as frequent maybe every 5min

Any way to get an older version of GO4 since we can’t roll back the iPads?

My issue started around 3 Go app updates ago. I was on iOS 11.4 without issue, and whilst on a job I noticed an update to GO, so silly me whilst waiting for my batteries to charge I updated the app. For the entire morning i had no issues with disconnects (4x sets of batteries) until I updated the app. The entire afternoon my iPad was disconnecting every 30sec, in the end I used my iPhone.

Fast forward to the latest GO update (4.2.22) and it still does it. Not as frequent maybe every 5min

This problem makes the drone unusable for video, exceptionally hobbled for most kinds of flight, and barely able to shoot photos. I can't believe they aren't recalling them or issuing any kind of bulletin or 'stop use' advisory; Given all the safety considerations with the FAA and flight, it's amazing this entire problem is going entirely ignored by DJI.

Apple just released iOS 11.4.1. This might address the issues. I have not had a chance to test yet.

This problem makes the drone unusable for video, exceptionally hobbled for most kinds of flight, and barely able to shoot photos. I can't believe they aren't recalling them or issuing any kind of bulletin or 'stop use' advisory; Given all the safety considerations with the FAA and flight, it's amazing this entire problem is going entirely ignored by DJI.

I can confirm that iOS 11.4.1 has fixed the problem with our iPad mini 2's. Will test on our iPad Air as well. So far so good!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell