Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IPad mini or the full size IPad with the Inspire? Your thoughts?

Reaction score
I'm curious to know how many are using the mini vs the full size IPad? Wi-Fi only or with Cell?? What advantages or disadvantages?

Air 2 all the way. Cellular is nice to have but not crucial, unless you need to consult the manual on location...
Haven't tried it with a mini but coming from the iPad the phone is way too small.

Ive tired to user the latest iPad Mini but it was too slow. Traded up to the newest iPad Air 2.

The Mini is too slow yes. The Mini 2 and Mini 3 are perfect though. I have a Mini 2 and my mrs has an Air 2. I see very little difference between their performance with the Inspire.

I also have mini 2, which I purchased to the Inspire and image transfer stops every now and then.
It's a pain if you go over the places where you have not completely clear view, where the drone is.
Have started using my Air 2 and it works like clockwork, but feels a bit heavy.

I use an ipad mini 2 (wifi only) for the aircraft control remote, and an ipan air 2 (wifi & LTE) for the camera operator remote (bigger screen for composition, etc). I see NO DIFFERENCE in speed or lag time between the two.

Last edited:
I like my Air 2. Easier on my old eyes but like the convenience of the mini 3. I now bought the second controller thinking I could use a cheaper monitor for composition and was told I would have to stay with the IPad for the other as well. Seems I should have never swaped the mini 3 for the Air 2. I should have kept the mini and bought the air as well.

Sure getting some major bucks in this hobby and I even bought the Cinemizer glasses as well! A chunk of cash!

Screens for FPV, any thoughts on best Screen yo use, just lost my old ipad, is their bugs with iOS, or Android?
I have gotten the best results with using the 2 controller setup and having the camera operator use the HDMI port with a monitor while I fly the aircraft using a phone/tablet to run the Pilot App. Plugging both the HDMI monitor and phone/tablet into one controller appears to overload its processor and both screens then get a lot of artifacting. This way, I can focus on safe and accurate pilotage while running the aircraft's and camera's systems while the camera operator handles the pan and tilt while giving me directions on where to place the aircraft for the best shot angle. On solo missions, I just use a Galaxy S5 and that seems adequate with occasional stuttering.

Reactions: Outta Control
I have gotten the best results with using the 2 controller setup and having the camera operator use the HDMI port with a monitor while I fly the aircraft using a phone/tablet to run the Pilot App. Plugging both the HDMI monitor and phone/tablet into one controller appears to overload its processor and both screens then get a lot of artifacting. This way, I can focus on safe and accurate pilotage while running the aircraft's and camera's systems while the camera operator handles the pan and tilt while giving me directions on where to place the aircraft for the best shot angle. On solo missions, I just use a Galaxy S5 and that seems adequate with occasional stuttering.

So you are plugging the IPad or whatever into your main controller and a cheaper monitor using the HDMI port on the slave? Works well? I was told if you went IPad, you had to stay with IPad for the slave unit!

Confusing for a beginner!

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone or Galaxy Tab S tablet on the main controller and an HDMI monitor on the slave. It works fine.

Right DaBone. I was just responding to Daniel who evidently didn't see that part of the message.:)

Sorry for the repeat, but I have been getting conflicting information from others. I might just use the Cinemizer glasses for composition.

I also have mini 2, which I purchased to the Inspire and image transfer stops every now and then.
It's a pain if you go over the places where you have not completely clear view, where the drone is.
Have started using my Air 2 and it works like clockwork, but feels a bit heavy.

I´m updating my experience with the "mini 2". Updated the IOS last night and tested the small iPad again today.
Now it works as it should.. no problems at all, what I could see. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa