Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPhone owner considering buying an Android - What do I need?

Reaction score
I just got my Inspire and like so many other iPhone users found out about the issue with Apple when I scanned the QR code. I'm considering buying an Android mini-tablet since a solution to the Apple problem doesn't seem to happening anytime soon.

My question is, do I need to have a data plan for the tablet to work with the Inspire? I'm fine with buying another tablet, but I'm hesitant to enter into a contract with AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc just to use it for flying the Inspire. I've never used a DJI product before, so I'm not sure if you are using it outside and away from wi-fi that you have to have the tablet connected via a data plan for the Inspire to work properly.

Thanks!

Get yourself an Nvidia SHIELD Tablet. 16GB WiFi. It's the best Android tablet out there for use with the inspire. I've got one and an iPad Mini 2 and the Shield is comparable with the iPad. Nice and smooth with no dropped frames or stutter on the video feed.
You don't need a data plan as you will be turning the tablet to aeroplane mode when you fly anyway to avoid interference. You can cache the maps before you fly at home or by tethering to your mobile.

If you want to save money, you can get the Nexus 7 (2013 edition). I got it for $150 on Groupon a few weeks ago, and it works perfectly.

Guys,

I thought we need a data plan with tablets on the field? Please advise. Getting my bird today. Cheers

Guys,

I thought we need a data plan with tablets on the field? Please advise. Getting my bird today. Cheers
As Rilot said, you'll be in airplane mode so no data plan is necessary. My android Nvidia caches google maps, even though there's no menu option on the android 1.04 app like there is for ios, and my map view works on airplane mode without data plan. I can also hotspot wifi from my phone, on site, if I need to cache new maps.
See
http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?posts/8633

Enjoy life and be nice

Reactions: z33
Thanks crashburn.

I am contemplating a new Mini or the Nvidia shield tablet. Since you use the latter, any thoughts? I've been trying to read up on it but reviews are on its gaming prowess!

Thanks crashburn.

I am contemplating a new Mini or the Nvidia shield tablet. Since you use the latter, any thoughts? I've been trying to read up on it but reviews are on its gaming prowess!
I've tried the newest ipad air, my wife's mini ipad, and the nvidia. They all work well. Ipads have slightly better screens than nvidia, nvidia has more features, such as sd and hdmi. Both have enough processing power to handle the video streaming. If you don't plan on using a Fpv device, such as the Cinemizer, then it's a toss up, depending on whether you like android or apple. Otherwise, the nvidia is the best.

Enjoy life and be nice

Reactions: z33
If going for Android, keep am eye out for where your charger port /buttons are located. I had to do some bracket modifications to fit my note 10.1 tablet but love using the large screen.

I've tried the newest ipad air, my wife's mini ipad, and the nvidia. They all work well. Ipads have slightly better screens than nvidia, nvidia has more features, such as sd and hdmi. Both have enough processing power to handle the video streaming. If you don't plan on using a Fpv device, such as the Cinemizer, then it's a toss up, depending on whether you like android or apple. Otherwise, the nvidia is the best.

Enjoy life and be nice
The new App is incompatible with my ipad, but I have it downloaded on my wife's ipad air 2. I have an inspire with two controllers on order. I was wondering if I could use a nvidia shield on one controller and an ipad air 2 on the other. Would that work well?

I have your identical intended set up! I use the Ipad 2 for the master and the NVidia for the slave controller and they both work fine. I did try a galaxy tab 4 which is great as a tablet but seemed to have jerky and delayed live feed from the inspire, it also was slightly too big and the connecting socket is central and interferes with the controller's clamp. It might be worth mentioning that the android version of Dji go seems to be slightly behind in development than the apple version!

Maybe an Sony Xperia Z3 is also a good option.Got one and it works very well and tremendous battery life too.Don't bother the reviews about it.Since I got one it's my favorite tablet.

I am using the Nvidia for master and the Samsung S8. the Samsung has lots of delay have not used with the new update yet. will use it this weekend and see if any improvement.

iPad mini2 works great, in case you want to consider this. They should be cheaper now the new iPads are out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84