Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

is a drone a aircraft or can you shoot it down??

CA

I legally shoot at flying objects in the sky all the time!

It's still illegal. If you're shooting at clay pigeons or have a license to shoot birds, you merely have a defense. Just like if you shoot someone in self defense and kill them. It's still a law that was broken, you just have an affirmative defense. My point is, if the person ever actually fired at your Inspire, your local police could enforce the law. The FAA has only fined one civilian in the last few decades, as far as I'm aware. And it was just recently.

Reactions: flyersgirl
Are you allowed to fire guns in your neighborhood..legally? That's the first issue not that he fired at your drone but that he fired upwards in a residential area and as we all know, what goes up must come down and a bullet can still penetrate on it's way back to the ground. The officer you talked to should of enforced that law at least....I'm late to the party here though maybe this was already talked aboot

I live in a rural foothill community so it's legal to fire guns as long as you're doing it in safe manner. .
I wouldn't be surprised if the police bothered to talk to the person doing the shooting. .
the wife of the shooter didn't mention the police showing up on her Facebook. .
My neighbor told me if I was on fire the police officer wouldn't even kick dirt on me..
it's 1:30 pm here and I still haven't heard anything from the faa..
I first called on Monday. .
guess drones being shot at isn't a priority. .

Is there maybe a local newspaper nearby with a technology reporter who might like to do a story on this? If so, maybe consider calling or sending them an email and let them know what's up, but only if you don't mind the publicity.

Reactions: Eric
Hey guys. .
I haven't heard back from the faa yet..
it's been 5 working days..
I doubt they will even call at this point..
I've called three times and left a message asking for a call back..
What's this mean..
means to me do what your want cause the faa isn't going to do anything. .
you want to film for money..go for it..
do whatever you want and as long as you don't do something extreme I doubt the faa will ever talk to you...
let the haters call..nothing is going to happen..
if you live in a rural area be for warned that your neighbor can shot down your drone if you're over their property and the police and the feds aren't going to do anything. .
happy bullet dodging. .
turbo. .

Turbo! If I were you, to hell with the FAA!! I'd get the State Police or Contact the local Federal Bureau of Investigations Regional Office.. Best advise I would give is that there is firearms involved and the locals aren't doing nothing about it.. When, and if when something happens, which hopefully nothing does, it's documented and reported through the ranks.... My advise to you, quit flying in that area, obviously it is trouble, and not sure of the hours of operation with your craft.. Bottom line, day, afternoon, evening, or night... Ain't letting an ******* discharge a firearm because they're pissed!! Catch my drift, it's TROUBLE!! Obviously a firearm is an answer to his concern of/for safety, regardless of the craft being harmless.. I'm a little more concerned this persons Stability and State of Mind... Now that's is Concerning, and Disturbing[emoji15]! Good Luck and continue the pursuit... Fly elsewhere for your safety and others, especially with not knowing what's brewing up in their MIND..

I also have an idea... Fire with fire. I know you guys are all about peace and love but I am not a fan of being bullied. I say keep doing it and increase the frequency. Never actually fly over their property but get near the edge and stay high. Have you ever shot clay? Haha, get a hundred meters out and another hundred up and if he can hit you he should compete. If you want some extra safety (I would) get yourself a cheap used phantom and get a little closer. Film it all to show later that you didn't trespass or film anything that could even make out a sex never mind a face or an identity.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Look at your state laws. In Louisisna it is breaking the law to fly over neighbors property without prior approval.

E="Bren, post: 40032, member: 18243"]Turbo, clearly you live down south!?[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty ignorant statement.

You tell me??
I'm not a lawyer, and none of this should be construed as legal advice, but I can tell you there is an extremely high possibility the drone owner and/or operator would be named in a lawsuit if anything of that nature happened. Of course it wouldn't be their fault, or make sense, but that's not how the law works, unfortunately.
Hey guys..
just got back from a quick little flight around my property and neighbors that's cool with my drone..
another neighbor just took 2 shots at my i1 when I got close to their property. ..
Here are 3 possible options for you:

Option 1) Document and conversation (date, time, name, badge number) with ANY law enforcement. If it's in the past, just fill in what you know from memory. You can also call again, make the same complaint, and get all the information.
Complain to the FAA, and in that complaint mention who you talked to in law enforcement, when, and what was said.
Make a formal complaint about your neighbor discharging a firearm - that you witnessed. In most states, that is considered reckless endangerment at the very least.
Pros of this option:
It will greatly reduce the chance of it happening again
If it does happen, you will have more recourse to recoup the damage done to your aircraft, or if the worst case happens and other property is damaged or even someone hurt or killed.
Cons of this option:
You will piss off the Sheriff and any one else involved, especially your trigger-happy neighbor.

Option 2) Keep doing as you are doing and fly where you want, when you want, within the FAA guidelines.
Pros of this option:
You won't piss anyone off, except your neighbors.
Easier option.
Freedom to fly.
Cons of this option:
Your drone is at risk
You are risking major liability issues, though with a small probability that your shot-down drone would hit someone or something else.

Option 3) Don't fly over or near anyone else's property
Pros of this option:
No risk, except the normal, non-firearm involved type of flying a drone.
You won't piss anyone off, including your neighbors.
Easiest option
Cons of this option:
You will limit your fly area, and your potential fun factor.

I also have an idea... Fire with fire. I know you guys are all about peace and love but I am not a fan of being bullied. I say keep doing it and increase the frequency. Never actually fly over their property but get near the edge and stay high. Have you ever shot clay? Haha, get a hundred meters out and another hundred up and if he can hit you he should compete. If you want some extra safety (I would) get yourself a cheap used phantom and get a little closer. Film it all to show later that you didn't trespass or film anything that could even make out a sex never mind a face or an identity.
That's a terrible idea. It's likely to escalate the situation to a worse level. I'm an avid gun owner and hunter. When guns and tempers go together, bad things can turn out. For now, fly the UAV in a different direction from the bad neighbors.

That's a terrible idea. It's likely to escalate the situation to a worse level. I'm an avid gun owner and hunter. When guns and tempers go together, bad things can turn out. For now, fly the UAV in a different direction from the bad neighbors.
I am torn. I agree with MAZZ, he lives in a neighborhood that should be more than safe to fly. If his neighbors we're halfway decent people they would have inquired if they felt invaded.. I happen to know Turbo and know for a fact that his video and what his neighbors are up too don't even spark the slightest interest to him. If his I1 happen to catch something they'd disapprove of he'd delete it without question. Turbo prefers flying out long distances and having fun, his footage, if he is even recording is the least of his joy. So in other words... **ck his neighbors. Obviously sh*tty people. He should be able to fly in his "should be" safe to fly area. Yes guns need a cool head behind the trigger. Obviously not the case here. Yet again cops not using their heads and also not doing their jobs by keeping the peace. I want to drive down there and fly with him to have some words with all parties. Turbo rocks and doesn't deserve this shi*ty treatment by either. Turbo, if I'm wrong in any way I'm sorry but that's my current take on the situation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am torn. I agree with MAZZ, he lives in a neighborhood that should be more than safe to fly. If his neighbors we're halfway decent people they would have inquired if they felt invaded.. I happen to know Turbo and know for a fact that his video and what his neighbors are up too don't even spark the slightest interest to him. If his I1 happen to catch something they'd disapprove of he'd delete it without question. Turbo prefers flying out long distances and having fun, his footage, if he is even recording is the least of his joy. So in other words... **ck his neighbors. Obviously sh*tty people. He should be able to fly in his "should be" safe to fly area. Yes guns need a cool head behind the trigger. Obviously not the case here. Yet again cops not using their heads and also not doing their jobs by keeping the peace. I want to drive down there and fly with him to have some words with all parties. Turbo rocks and doesn't deserve this shi*ty treatment by either. Turbo, if I'm wrong in any way I'm sorry but that's my current take on the situation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you Eric for your support !!
Turb...

Reactions: Eric
Ya man...
I don't like being bullied either!!
Not much I can do that I won't go to jail for..
I haven't flown since the last incedent because I don't want to risk my inspire. .
I really enjoyed flying here ,but now that I know my neighbors feel threatened by my drone ,I'll fly somewhere else which takes a lot of the joy I get out of it..
my first instinct is to sling lead ..
good thing I'm into peace ..haha. .
turbo. .

After reading through the thread I can not see anything about going and talking to them. I know it is probably the last thing you want to do but the neighborly thing would be to try to talk it out and maybe show them how little you can actually see. Is that an option?

After reading through the thread I can not see anything about going and talking to them. I know it is probably the last thing you want to do but the neighborly thing would be to try to talk it out and maybe show them how little you can actually see. Is that an option?
Hey Mazz! !
Unfortunately I'm surrounded by drone haters and think that's the norm in rural areas in California probably in most of the USA and at least in a thirty mile radius of my spot...
I had made another thread about my neighbor a couple of months ago and thought I had corrected the problem by not flying over their property. .
that's why I was surprised they were shooting at it because I stayed away from their property ,but i guess that wasn't good enough. .
thing that I relized today is if I fly it over their property and they shoot it down and it hits something or someone that I'd be responsible. .
I didn't get that when the police officer said that to my neighbor. .
only thing he said to me is its trespassing and they could shoot it down and did I have any questions. .

Hey guys. .
in conclusion of this thread I'd say it is legal to shoot a drone down if you're flying in a rural area while flying over private property and you can be cited for any damages. .

The faa hasn't even called back and it's been a week now..
the police officer told me I was causing problems by flying here so I haven't flown since.
I feel bullied into grounding my inspire because I don't want it to get shot down or have any more contact with the police...
I'm over it...
turbo. ..

But if your over YOUR property and they shoot it down (falls on YOUR property) all the proof you need! No? Just don't fly over theirs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian