Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is a GPS satelite error a problem

Reaction score
I heard this and then found it referenced on an article here: Satellite failure caused global GPS timing anomaly

Would this be a potential concern? I imagine it would throw an Inspire 1 into a serious toilet bowl effect like conflict where the compass and the GPS are at odds. Am I over thinking it or should we add to our list of preflight checks somehow?

Probably would not affect flight, but I would make sure you can fly in ATTI, before you get out to far, just in-case of a gps malfunction. It would be even better if you can fly air craft in manual mode too.

It wouldn't hurt, before you fly, to check the likes of n3kl.org to see if the GPS satellites are being hit by charged particles from a coronal mass ejection from the Sun and thus there may significant GPS errors. Check the lower center chart at n3kl.org. What you're looking for is whether the Kp Index is > 4.

Andy.

Reactions: The Editor
I heard this and then found it referenced on an article here: Satellite failure caused global GPS timing anomaly

Would this be a potential concern? I imagine it would throw an Inspire 1 into a serious toilet bowl effect like conflict where the compass and the GPS are at odds. Am I over thinking it or should we add to our list of preflight checks somehow?
It's fixed now in any case but it is unlikely positional hold would be affected.
If it occurred whilst in flight it IS possible that the home point although stored correctly could become a problem to navigate back to in the event of RTH. (The aircraft could 'think' it is up to 4km away from where it actually is).
However, its been fixed now so hopefully no problem. :)
Always remember, GPS is a tool and should not be something you rely on to fly. Always, always be totally comfortable in P-Atti mode in all orientations and all conditions you would normally fly in.
@ringolong - there is no manual mode available to the operator on the Inspire. (If there was, there would be a lot more broken Inspires than there already are :p)

Reactions: 3dPico
@ringolong - there is no manual mode available to the operator on the Inspire. (If there was, there would be a lot more broken Inspires than there already are :p)

Haha! I know, but knowing how would give the pilot a high level of comfortability when flying in atti, or feel very limited lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo