Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is an Inspire worth it?

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been a lurker around here for a while now, now I need a little advice. The public safety agency im employed by is currently in the market for a UAV. From the looks of what they are asking for (capabilities such as FLIR) and the request that this be an almost purposely built public safety drone, this is NOT going to be a small machine. So I guess that’s the back story, but here’s what I’m looking for help with.

I’ve been interested in UAV’s and have flown a few of my friends machines, and between the P4, Mavic, and Inspire I’ve flown they all have similarities and of course differences. I’m currently in the market for something for myself (PERSONAL USE ONLY) that I can fly around and have fun with, (no interest in doing any professional work with it or the huge costs associated also). Based on what I’ve seen locally and on the internet, I’m willing to spend around $12-1300 to get this going. This narrows it down to a used Inspire 1 with a couple batteries, or a new Mavic with a couple batteries. I like the idea of flying a large(er) bird somewhat similar in size to what I fly at work, at home but seeing as I won’t be taking advantage of a lot of the reasons people buy inspires, is it worth it or should I just get a new Mavic instead? Thoughts? And thanks for any insight you may be able to add. Cheers!

Mavic Pro, as long as you aren't going to want to do professional work with your new drone "sometime later". While it IS a really fun drone for the $$$ (what you said you wanted) it isn't on the level of the Inspire when it comes to photo/vid, etc (IMHO). I have both. I fly the Mavic Pro for fun and for shooting family memories at the beach, etc. For business, I always go back to the Inspire. Just my 2 cents worth, lol. Carry on...

Reactions: Advexure
It all depends on what is your definition of "having fun with drones". What do you enjoy the most in this hobby? Flying or aerial imagery? If recreational flying is your main goal, than - again - how do you expect your drone to perform? Is it powerful but majestic flight of Inspire what makes you thrill, or swiftness of Phantom 4 in sport mode? If - for change - family video-making is your target, than perhaps Spark is all you need. Maybe portability of Mavic is the main feature you're looking for? Phantom 4 Pro is hard to beat in terms of image quality and flight characteristics (within your budget and expectations). Comparably priced second hand Inspire 1 Pro wouldn't be able to compete in video category, but may shine in still photography due to interchangeable camera optics. Than another question arises: can you truly enjoy pristine quality of 4K video watched on your 56" plasma TV monitor, or 1080p YouTube video format is all you'll ever need? Are you an avid amateur photographer or a selfie-shooter?

See, we're all made differently ...

All I can say is that selling my Inspire has been about as easy as selling sirloin steaks at a gathering of Vegans. I have had literally no responses at all apart from one time waster. If you want something that will retain some value, don't bother with the Inspire.

The only reason I can see to go with the Inspire is if you can find a decent deal on a raw unit. I am still blown away by the quality of video that thing puts out.
If you are getting it basic with the X3 or even X5, there's not really a point to buying it as the difference over a Phantom 4 or even a Mavic will be minimal.
If this were me and it were just for personal use, messing around and getting some cool shots while also enjoying flying, I would get a Mavic pro all day. Also I'm not sure about regulations or if you are worried about that in your area, but you can fly 'under the radar' a lot easier with the Mavic. To most people it's a glorified toy, but for you it will be a fun to fly little machine that can still capture some great quality images.

Reactions: Advexure
The Inspire has a niche -- it can carry purpose built thermals, it has a camera that can rotate independently of the aircraft, it's faster, can carry a decent sling payload... all of which make it a good option for work. But for play? Mavic by a mile. The biggest difference (other than size) that struck me was how much better the Mavic's video feed is. It's night and day, and remains very clear at many times the distance as my inspire. Of course the mavic is very portable, and the video / image quality (while not as good as Phantom 4 Pro) is going to impress the average person and more than good enough for 1080p/2.7k youtube videos.

Highly recommend going Mavic Pro. Based on the information you've provided for recreational use I think you really should solely be looking at the Mavic, particularly with your budget for maximum spend. By all means the Inspire is a FANTASTIC unit but I think for all around use you'll be happy you went with the more portable and easier to operate aircraft. You could look at the P4P for better imaging mile but money would be best spent for you on the Mavic and then getting extra batteries and accessories. If we can be of any assistance here don't hesitate to reach out. Safe flying and enjoy with whatever you decide on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela