Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is second controller necessary to do dual op mode?

I agree, dual op mode without the second controller could work!

• Fail... This is the worste idea ever!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolute... this could work!!

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Let me preface my post..
*** I realize that true dual op mode as designed by DJI cannot technically be accomplished without 2 controllers... KEEP READING!! ***
I have had my inspire for 3 days now and made 7 flights.
Before purchasing I debated very hard as to if I should get the dual controller mode. The opportunities it supposedly opened up seemed great especially for filming which is what I purchased it for. I ended up getting the single controller mode simply because I felt that I probably would be flying 90% of the time in single controller mode and I just didn't want to invest the extra $800 ($500 + tablet) right now for something that would sit unused.

With each flight I have been tweaking flight/control parameters and learning new things on how I can control it to the best of its ability. Last night I started toying around with the ability to move the camera gimbal in any direction while pressing on the screen (Ipad air with .092 app) and then dragging your finger away from the point of press. This feature works freakishly well and it got me to thinking.. Can you have dual op mode without the second controller?

As I debated getting the second controller I tried to envision how the dual control mode( with two controllers) would be used.. Here are two things that I figure are true but since I have not actually flown dual op/controller mode I could be wrong:
1. Since the camera operator would have control of the camera the pilot should NEVER fly FPV and only rely on line of sight while retaining good visual bearings of the physical location of the craft.
2. While the pilot would have the opportunity to look at the tablet on their controller this would probably not be a good idea AT ALL as it could easily lead to disorientation and cause extreme problems.(example.. the camera op is pointing the camera in the opposite direction of the direction of flight).

With these assumptions and after using the touchscreen to rotate/pan the gimbal it got me to thinking that you could easily setup "dual op" mode with one controller and tablet using the following steps.
  1. Have your camera op stand close to you...
  2. Hand them the tablet(while it is linked to your controller via the usb port) and train them on how to effectively use the touch to pan/rotate feature of the gimbal.
  3. You as the pilot would pilot the craft while maintaining sightof the craft 100% of the time and only communicate with your camera op as to what movements you are going to make and how you would like the camera to move / shot to look.
Honestly.. Without knowing exactly how dual op with controllers works but knowing how freakishly well the touch to pan/rotate works I could see this being just as good as true dual op..

Whatcha think?

It's definitely possible. I have done this with my daughters out in the field. Now will you have all bells and whistles of a dual op setup? No but that doesn't mean you can't get the same footage as dual tx setup.

It will take practice for the camera op but so would the dual tx setup. Biggest thing on dual op setup is communication, I know I'm constantly talking with my camera op.

Since you have everything currently to try it out, why not? If it doesn't work for you, you're out nothing.

By operating on the tablet the operator will basically have the same possibilities than with a second remote, just with less precise moves than with sticks, with the disadvantage of being tethered to the pilot, and with the difficulty for both to look at the tablet at the same time. While the pilot may not want to look at the image too much it's still good for him to be able to see the battery info, speed/height/status etc.

So it works, just less comfortable.

You can have a HDMI monitor for the pilot and the App for the camera op. It can be done but as you said the movements will not be as controlled as with the Tx sticks.

Reactions: Jre
Plan on trying it out this afternoon but wanted to toss the idea out on the forum so others could potentially glean from it.
While I have NO experience with the camera/gimbal operations from a second controller in dual op mode, the rotate/pan/(combination of both) works, at least for me, freakishly well with the touchscreen controls!

As for battery percentage and other telemetry info.. I think with the volume turned up on the ipad and clear communication with the camera op that should be no big deal!! I honestly don't see me taking my eyes off the craft at all when trying this... I think that would be a horrible mistake!!

I had thought of this before. I guess the only reason I haven't tried it yet is because I can't convince my wife to come out with me because it's too cold to "stand around in a field".

Anyway, I had the idea to hand her the ipad connected up to the controller, and then have another monitor attached to the controller in the mount.

But what kind of monitor can I use in the mount that will have an HDMI input that I can plug into the controller's HDMI output?
We should get basic flight parameters on the HDMI screen anyway, shouldn't we?

Cheers
Roastie

Yes it could work with practice, but the beauty of the I1 (I've only had a P2 non vision before) is the tech side of the app, and yes flying in ATTI mode is easy, but switching from photo to film, panning/tilting the camera, adjusting the camera settings while still keeping LOS, IMU/Compass issues - battery levels - mapping data, obstacles etc

IMHO; the I1 is a great platform to fly and film with, a very good person good make it so much better, but 2 very good people could make a "proper film". And for me personally it's finding that camera person. Just my 2p worth.

Reactions: johnmont250
Met up with a friend of mine this afternoon that just so happens to be a still photographer.
I knew he would want to see the I1 so I brought it along...
Took it out the box.. Gave him a brief demonstration of what could be done and showed him the app..
30 seconds later we were flying "Dual op"!! Ill try to review and get some footage up.
We were out as his land and had a little campfire going so nothing to crazy to film but we got a few tracking shots of the group as they sat around the campfire!! :)

Aside from the fact that the camera op is tethered to the pilots controller I see very litter difference doing it this way over the "real way".
I understand the controls may be better but in all honesty and as I have alluded to a few times before.. The app "Press and drag" method works FREAKISHLY well on my iPad Air with ver .092 of the app...

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Met up with a friend of mine this afternoon that just so happens to be a still photographer.
I knew he would want to see the I1 so I brought it along...
Took it out the box.. Gave him a brief demonstration of what could be done and showed him the app..
30 seconds later we were flying "Dual op"!! Ill try to review and get some footage up.
We were out as his land and had a little campfire going so nothing to crazy to film but we got a few tracking shots of the group as they sat around the campfire!! :)

Aside from the fact that the camera op is tethered to the pilots controller I see very litter difference doing it this way over the "real way".
I understand the controls may be better but in all honesty and as I have alluded to a few times before.. The app "Press and drag" method works FREAKISHLY well on my iPad Air with ver .092 of the app...

Awesome news man..

If you don't need then don't buy it. I have a second Tx for several reasons; when I do demos I let users fly the camera, when I have an opportunity to have s camera operator( it is a treat) and lastly when I need to stream video out to a board for transmission or to a remote video display. If you don't have those uses then you don't need a second Tx.

This topic has been posted a few other times already. People should really try looking before posting.

Mazz, care to back up your statement with some links?
Over the past few weeks i've been borderline addicted to these forums and have seen no specific "topics" that are geared to this specific topic.
Could the topic have been mentioned/buried in another thread?? Sure, but I have not seen it...

Reactions: Eliran
Mazz, care to back up your statement with some links?
Over the past few weeks i've been borderline addicted to these forums and have seen no specific "topics" that are geared to this specific topic.
Could the topic have been mentioned/buried in another thread?? Sure, but I have not seen it...

This is the search function.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/search/?type=post

You can such to your hearts content.

A FPV kit (extra front-facing mini camera) for the Inspire would be a nice addition from DJI. I know some guys have added their own and got it to work but it seems to me it would make a really nice add-on for dual-op setups that DJI could offer as a DIY kit plus SW update.

DJI could make some extra $$$ on this one I believe. That and a higher end camera offering of course :)

Reactions: jplayer
A FPV kit (extra front-facing mini camera) for the Inspire would be a nice addition from DJI. I know some guys have added their own and got it to work but it seems to me it would make a really nice add-on for dual-op setups that DJI could offer as a DIY kit plus SW update.

DJI could make some extra $$$ on this one I believe. That and a higher end camera offering of course :)
Completely agree Damon!!
Line of sight is great but perception becomes a real biotch as the distance grows between you and the copter!! Was playing around with it today and about 200 yards away was approaching a line of trees that looked like I was going to run straight into them.. Looked over at the screen and my altitude was 70M (way higher than any tree variety around here)

On the subject, yesterday after work I flew a pack indoors in the tent where we had been working. There was a professional video crew there (of which I'm not part of, I'm with the "subject" of the video production) and their company also owns an Inspire, so of course they came around and one of the the guys knew about the tablet camera control and started playing with it. As can be expected it's not very comfortable to have someone do it when the tablet is mounted on the remote, as firstly he won't see so well and won't be precise, and secondly the finger presses and movements also move my remote which is less than optimal for precise control. Definitely need to remove the tablet from the remote.

Apart from that, I was a bit surprised by the lack of "feeling" of the guy who was pretty much yanking the camera around at full speed most of the time. For the record his job during the day was carrying a RED on a Ronin... so I was expecting something a bit different. Seems it's not given to everybody to be instantly surprised by how smooth and beautifully slow the camera control can be on the I1... it was the first thing I tried when I got my hand on one.

Some fun from that flight...

http://instagram.com/p/y2ND-KL4xa/

yes, before i got mine dual version i was thinking of doing what you mentioned but did not get the chance. i think it is a good idea as long as you practice with plenty of space around you first.
i love the second controller set up. it is tough to do everything myself and still be safe in case of fly away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop