Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Live Streaming Issues

Reaction score
Website
I am trying to put a permanent live video feed on a few websites that I own buy Youtube doesn't seem to allow a permanent url address to always use. It's a different url for every live feed that I make. That means that I have to go to each website and load in the new url (embed code) for every flight. Is anyone else doing this with youtube? I have used Ustream.com in the past, but I have no idea how to do it with the Inspire 1.

Youtube assigns a NEW website address to EVERY single new live video feed. What I am looking for is like having my own TV channel that people can turn on any time they want. You know, like http://www.youtube.com/(MYLIVEFEED). As it is now, I would have to tell everyone (the entire world) what the new webpage is EVERY time I want to do live streaming.

Got any ideas????

Reactions: zackski
I am trying to put a permanent live video feed on a few websites that I own buy Youtube doesn't seem to allow a permanent url address to always use. It's a different url for every live feed that I make. That means that I have to go to each website and load in the new url (embed code) for every flight. Is anyone else doing this with youtube? I have used Ustream.com in the past, but I have no idea how to do it with the Inspire 1.

Youtube assigns a NEW website address to EVERY single new live video feed. What I am looking for is like having my own TV channel that people can turn on any time they want. You know, like http://www.youtube.com/(MYLIVEFEED). As it is now, I would have to tell everyone (the entire world) what the new webpage is EVERY time I want to do live streaming.

Got any ideas????
I understand your dilemma and think there should another way to live stream. Not everyone with an Inspire wants to go thru Youtube, and on top of this use different addresses each time. I've been meaning to try streaming directly to my MBP using a utility or some other third party software such as Lightroom, although I think this issue is dead in the water. DJI should correct this, but in meantime if I discover something I will surely post it. I can see this being a problem if a client wants live streaming but because of some legal issue won't use Youtube.

There is PLENTY of lag no matter what I do (if someone knows how to fix the MAJOR lag issues, please let me know... it may be a bitrate issue), but at least I figured out how to use Ustream.com with the Inspire.

First of all, make sure you get an account (even a free one) with ustream.com. After that you need to get your channel settings information. So after signing into your account, go to your "Dashboard", then click on "Broadcast Settings" (bottom left of your screen). On that page you will see "encoder settings" click "View" to see those settings. You will now see "RTMP URL" and "Stream Key". You need this information to put into the DJI Pilot App.

Now that you are in the Pilot App (ensure the Inspire 1 is turned on, your remote controller is turned on and your pilot app is running just like normal), in the general settings area open "live streaming", then click "Custom Mode" (not basic mode). Now you need the information from the Ustream rtmp URL and the Stream Key. Enter the stream key into the "name" area and then enter the rtmp url into the "rtmp" area (its a LOT of numbers and letters and you have to use CAPS just like the ustream settings show. After all that is done, click "start streaming" in the app. You should be up and running at this point. (oh, by the way, the DJI Pilot App may NOT remember the settings you entered for live streaming, so you may have to put them in manually each time.)

To my knowledge, you should be able to do this with ANY web-based live video website like ustream, livestream, youtube, veetle, etc., as long as you can get the rtmp and stream key settings. I have not checked these, but it makes sense that it will work on those sites also.

You can check to see if the live stream is actually playing by going into ustream.com and looking at your channel.

The whole reason I did this was to has a standard channel where my live feeds will ALWAYS play instead of a different url (website address) each time (like on youtube). I have embedded my ustream channel into my websites and now people can watch what we do, AS we are doing it.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Ascender
Thanks FD, As you posted I was reading the Ustream site myself and see it to accepts feeds from Wirecast. Although, this could be useful I'd rather keep it simple and stay with Ustream. I to like the idea of have one url. Your post has come in handy. I haven't completely read it all and was thinking our downlink is 720p to the monitor so does this mean all live streaming is going to be 720p? I'm not sure how Lightbridge handles it's streaming?

According to Ustream and using their defaults everything should be kept at 720 anyway for the best quality.

Thanks FD, As you posted I was reading the Ustream site myself and see it to accepts feeds from Wirecast. Although, this could be useful I'd rather keep it simple and stay with Ustream. I to like the idea of have one url. Your post has come in handy. I haven't completely read it all and was thinking our downlink is 720p to the monitor so does this mean all live streaming is going to be 720p? I'm not sure how Lightbridge handles it's streaming?

wirecast is cool but a nut for me as my laptop is 6 years old it is reaaaaaally slow... have to upgrade that one or use a pc with enough power to make wirecast run... and have to buy it... i habe tried the trial but like i said my laptop... :(

thank you for the info guys :)
cheers

According to Ustream and using their defaults everything should be kept at 720 anyway for the best quality.
Well, best quality is great if the uploader (that's you and I) have a fast upload internet connection speed and great for the viewer (whoever is watching the live feed) if they had a fast download internet connection speed. But for slower connections (especially from our end), 720 resolution may be too high and cause lag issues. I have high speed internet here at my home (but still have a LOT of lag), but out on a job, all I will have is the cellular connection. It seems that some people are having very little issues with lagging during live streaming, but most of us are have major issues with it.

There is PLENTY of lag no matter what I do (if someone knows how to fix the MAJOR lag issues, please let me know... it may be a bitrate issue), but at least I figured out how to use Ustream.com with the Inspire.

First of all, make sure you get an account (even a free one) with ustream.com. After that you need to get your channel settings information. So after signing into your account, go to your "Dashboard", then click on "Broadcast Settings" (bottom left of your screen). On that page you will see "encoder settings" click "View" to see those settings. You will now see "RTMP URL" and "Stream Key". You need this information to put into the DJI Pilot App.

Now that you are in the Pilot App (ensure the Inspire 1 is turned on, your remote controller is turned on and your pilot app is running just like normal), in the general settings area open "live streaming", then click "Custom Mode" (not basic mode). Now you need the information from the Ustream rtmp URL and the Stream Key. Enter the stream key into the "name" area and then enter the rtmp url into the "rtmp" area (its a LOT of numbers and letters and you have to use CAPS just like the ustream settings show. After all that is done, click "start streaming" in the app. You should be up and running at this point. (oh, by the way, the DJI Pilot App may NOT remember the settings you entered for live streaming, so you may have to put them in manually each time.)

To my knowledge, you should be able to do this with ANY web-based live video website like ustream, livestream, youtube, veetle, etc., as long as you can get the rtmp and stream key settings. I have not checked these, but it makes sense that it will work on those sites also.

You can check to see if the live stream is actually playing by going into ustream.com and looking at your channel.

The whole reason I did this was to has a standard channel where my live feeds will ALWAYS play instead of a different url (website address) each time (like on youtube). I have embedded my ustream channel into my websites and now people can watch what we do, AS we are doing it.

I hope this helps.

Hi Florida Drone LLC,

I read your post with the ustream possibility but I don´t seem to get it to work... as I put in all the info in the pilot app and hit the start button the channel or my account takes the onboard camera from my laptop and streams that instead of the I1... yout tube does not work either :( might be me I guess.. can you or someone with more routine help me out on this and explain a kind of step by step how to make the live stream work fairly good. I have mobile internet with which I planned to test and also use the function later on since vodafone is introducing the G4 network here in hungary ant the moment upload should not be a big problem.

thanks

I have missed the freagin boat on livestreaming setup. I have the trial version of Wowza Streaming Engine and Wowza GoCoder. I'm trying to live stream to Youtube. I think I have the YouTube side of this, but the Wowza side has me perplexed. Anyone got any experience with Wowza or should I change my streaming engine. Talk to me like I'm a 5th grader please....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44