Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

LOG to NONE

Reaction score
I've not been doing much PE because I haven't splashed out on any fancy expensive software yet. Right from the word go I set my camera setting to LOG because that's what everybody recommended, but I've just recently set it to NONE and the video is way better, that's of course on AUTO without any post edit.

The LOG mode on the Inspire is rather pointless because the compression is so high that grading without the picture falling apart is nigh on impossible. LOG would be far more useful if it recorded 10-bit 4:2:2 Prores or DNx format recordings. Or at the very least DJI upped the recording bitrate of the existing system substantially.

The LOG mode on the Inspire is rather pointless because the compression is so high that grading without the picture falling apart is nigh on impossible. LOG would be far more useful if it recorded 10-bit 4:2:2 Prores or DNx format recordings. Or at the very least DJI upped the recording bitrate of the existing system substantially.

That's not entirely true. Log provides a better baseline video without the camera adding its own saturation and vibrance settings to it. This allows me to grade and adjust colour in post with much more flexibility.

TO THE OP:

LOG is normally used when you're going to be adjusting colour later on in post production. You already stated that you hadn't used any video editing software, so I'm going to understand that as you are using the video straight out of the camera. If you set it to log, your image is going to look rather dull and boring. You might as well set it to one of the other colour settings like "vivid" and you will get a better straight out of camera experience.

Reactions: John Snow Zombie
That's not entirely true. Log provides a better baseline video without the camera adding its own saturation and vibrance settings to it. This allows me to grade and adjust colour in post with much more flexibility.

TO THE OP:

LOG is normally used when you're going to be adjusting colour later on in post production. You already stated that you hadn't used any video editing software, so I'm going to understand that as you are using the video straight out of the camera. If you set it to log, your image is going to look rather dull and boring. You might as well set it to one of the other colour settings like "vivid" and you will get a better straight out of camera experience.

Yes I've tried VIVID and it too funky ! NONE seems the best straight out of the camera

Reactions: Djalma Ribeiro

TO THE OP:

I use adobe premiere to edditing color, contrast etc...So...are you telling that LOG is much better than NONE or Vivid for imagen correction? Even i using camera AUTO?

I use adobe premiere to edditing color, contrast etc...So...are you telling that LOG is much better than NONE or Vivid for imagen correction? Even i using camera AUTO?

I've since come to the conclusion that None is the best option for the X3. LOG just isn't worth the effort in this camera. Life's too short.

Reactions: gruvpix
I've since come to the conclusion that None is the best option for the X3. LOG just isn't worth the effort in this camera. Life's too short.
Thanks for replying me and give me that information! I have a lot of questions about....because a lot of people tell different things! It makes me very confused. I will keep making my own tests and learning with experience from others.
Thanks!

Reactions: damoncooper
You didn't specify whether you were using an X3 or an X5. But I'll try to answer for both.

In general for digital cinema, a flat/logarithmic picture profile, combined with the proper grading (adding contrast and saturation) in post-production, produces the best final image. This is the case for cameras such as the Sony A7 series, the Panasonic GH4, the Canon cinema cameras, RED, Arri, etc.

But it has yet to be determined whether the DJI D-Log style is a true "log" style that produces superior image quality and dynamic range. I will point out that Panasonic finally released its log-mode color style for the popular GH4 more than a year after they released the camera. If it were an easy thing to produce, they would have had it at first release.

The fact that DJI had a log style at introduction of both the X3 and X5 makes me a bit suspicious. I often used the log style with the X3 camera, because it wasn't very flat or desaturated, and it was relatively easy to correct in Premiere Pro.

I just shot my first log-mode footage with the X5, and the footage is much more flat and desaturated than the X3 footage. I tried to correct it in Premiere Pro, with little success. I saw the other day that DJI had released its log-mode correction tool for the X5. I can't find it now, but I downloaded it, and it included a LUT in .cube format. I applied that, and the footage didn't look much better.

So for now, I am using the "None" color mode, with -1 on sharpness, saturation, and contrast, then tinkering with it myself in Premiere Pro.

So in short, log-mode + grading might be better than "None" mode, but only if you are really good at grading footage, which almost all of us are not.

What he said ^^^

Additionally the new Lumetri Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2015 makes tweaking color, adding a dash of saturation etc super easy. I record in None and touch up with the Color Panel, and done.

Sample here with an X3 and None. I did use CP ND filters and the place is already has pretty amazing natural colors but you get the idea. Simple, fast, great results. Time back to go do others things with the rest of your day.

I found the Inspire 1/ Phantom 3/ X5 LOG mode Transcoding Tool v1.0.0 downloads at Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO | DJI (ZIP, EXE).

I downloaded the EXE and installed it. In C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Transcoding Tool\dist, I found DlogtosRGB.cube, which is a Look-Up Table (LUT) that can be used with pretty much any video editing software.

In Premiere Pro, open the Lumetri Color Panel, and enable Creative. Then click to the right of Look, select browse, and select the DlogtosRGB.cube file. You can then vary the intensity of the look with the slider just below. Note that you can also apply a LUT in Basic Correction/Input LUT, but there is no intensity slider there.

Reactions: Djalma Ribeiro
You didn't specify whether you were using an X3 or an X5. But I'll try to answer for both.

In general for digital cinema, a flat/logarithmic picture profile, combined with the proper grading (adding contrast and saturation) in post-production, produces the best final image. This is the case for cameras such as the Sony A7 series, the Panasonic GH4, the Canon cinema cameras, RED, Arri, etc.

But it has yet to be determined whether the DJI D-Log style is a true "log" style that produces superior image quality and dynamic range. I will point out that Panasonic finally released its log-mode color style for the popular GH4 more than a year after they released the camera. If it were an easy thing to produce, they would have had it at first release.

The fact that DJI had a log style at introduction of both the X3 and X5 makes me a bit suspicious. I often used the log style with the X3 camera, because it wasn't very flat or desaturated, and it was relatively easy to correct in Premiere Pro.

I just shot my first log-mode footage with the X5, and the footage is much more flat and desaturated than the X3 footage. I tried to correct it in Premiere Pro, with little success. I saw the other day that DJI had released its log-mode correction tool for the X5. I can't find it now, but I downloaded it, and it included a LUT in .cube format. I applied that, and the footage didn't look much better.

So for now, I am using the "None" color mode, with -1 on sharpness, saturation, and contrast, then tinkering with it myself in Premiere Pro.

So in short, log-mode + grading might be better than "None" mode, but only if you are really good at grading footage, which almost all of us are not.
Thank you so much to the information and share your knowledge about!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips