Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Looking for my first drone

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking to get my first drone and looking for some advice.

I've been looking at the phantom 2 vs the inspire. Both seem to have their advantages, but in my searching I also found the 3d robotics iris+ and really like it’s ability to auto follow the user, assuming it works as well as advertised.
Can anyone tell me if either the phantom or the inspire can do that?

Also I'm interested in filming over water and I believe you can get a waterproof case for the phantom, can you get a waterproof housing for the inspire? Or is it waterproof by default?

I have several GoPro cameras and intend to buy anew one each year as they improve them. Which puts me in 2 minds about drones. I can see advantages of having a separate camera to the drone; you can dismount it and use it by itself, you can upgrade the camera without upgrading the drone. However I can see advantages of having a camera inbuilt; it can be powered by the drones battery, the gimbal is designed specifically for that camera and drone combination and I suspect the video link will be better.

I'm interested in the possibility of using a drone to do some commercial photography/videography. But at the moment it's all hobby based.
It will be great to be able to get those wide scenic shots that put context to the subject matter of my projects.

So just looking for some advice on which drone to consider. And then there's the price…

Regards and thanks
CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Chimp and welcome. Getting into the hobby can be quite intimidating I am sure. I am not sure if you have ever flown a quad before so my first suggestion is always a couple of cheap quads you can get on eBay. I personally love the small SYMA quads as they are super cheap and very durable. Once you are comfortable with flying, if you are going to work with the quad, Inspire is the way to go.
About waterproofing, I think it is possible to waterproof a quad but they do not come that way. Motors are always exposed as are battery terminals. The inspire does not seem like it would take to water well at all. A few people have lost their phantoms in water and were able to get most of them working again, some with gimbal issues.

For a hobby, phantom vision plus is plenty. For work, inspire is great. Start with something cheap though. This of course is just my opinion.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Hi there confused chimp..I agree with Mazz. .without a doubt start with a trainer for a couple of weeks until you can fly it in any direction. ..then I would recommend a phantom, then an inspire 1. .
I've heard of a water proof drone..ask Google to find it ..
If you go with a phantom 2 and want fpv capabilities you'll need to add a kit..lots of information on phantom pilots.com..
I prefer the dromida ominus for a trainer. .it's a little hot rod and is fairly durable and cost 80 usd..when at all possible buy through Amazon.com. .
get ready to have a blast flying..but be for warned it's addicting. .
happy flying tdp. .

Learn to fly on a Blade Nano QX. A well-deserved investment if you want to get into the more expensive equipment in this hobby. Inspire 1 does not yet have auto-follow. Inspire 1 is not even water resistant. No GoPro attachment for Inspire 1, you'll have to use their proprietary gimbal system.

Sounds like the Inspire 1 is not for you. I would get a P2+ or Iris+ for your needs, after having learned how to fly on a micro quad.

Learn to fly on a Blade Nano QX. A well-deserved investment if you want to get into the more expensive equipment in this hobby. Inspire 1 does not yet have auto-follow. Inspire 1 is not even water resistant. No GoPro attachment for Inspire 1, you'll have to use their proprietary gimbal system.

Sounds like the Inspire 1 is not for you. I would get a P2+ or Iris+ for your needs, after having learned how to fly on a micro quad.
The blade nano looks pretty cool..does it fly well outside or at night ?
I have a blade 180 qx and it sits on the sidelines while I fly my dromida ominus. ..
it supposed to keep its altitude when you let off the sticks ,but it doesn't. .maybe I'm not using it correctly, but I think so..
it was 180.00 usd ..the dromida is 80.00 usd..about what the blade nano is..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD