Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Looks like my "Class H" idea is creeping closer and closer to reality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey doods;

Per this article:

It seems the FAA is digging their craws deeper and deeper into the drone community. Every extra step of regulation is one more step toward legitimization. As the FAA creeps toward total and complete regulation of the UAV community, they will eventually have to delineate airspace for the monster they created.

I have published my ideas on Class H airspace in this forum and it's been met with a lot of resistance from the manned aviation community. My position is simply this; You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't force drones and their operators into all kinds certification, regulation and compliance, and NOT provide UAV's with their own safe air space. If you're going to take the gloves off and assert that UAV's are essentially "just the same" as aviation from a regulation point of view, that point of view must ALSO carry over to RIGHTS of these UAV's and their operators. The only way to respond to the Need For Rights (NFR), is to provide an airspace that regulates ALL aviation regardless of size. The sole purpose of Class H is to insure safety for all.

To be clear, Class H airspace is NOT for the "convenience" of UAV pilots. It is designed for the SAFETY of full scale aviation, pilots and passengers. Class H insures that UAV operators won't be blind-sided by fast moving (125 knots), low flying (under 400' AGL) aviation. It simply tells full scale aviation, "If you're going to fly low, fly slow."

After several conversations with helicopter pilots, I've yet to hear a single reasonable argument against my Class H airspace idea. Even arguments for "emergency situations" have been weak. My points have not been addressed, but are, instead, dismissed. Dismissal does NOT a good argument make.

My proposal for Class H:

* All aviation must adhere to strict air speed limits of < 65 knots 150' AGL to 400' AGL.
* All aviation must adhere to strict air speed limits of < 50 knots from ground to 150' AGL.
* No flying below 100' AGL unless you are on landing approach or there is an emergency that requires it.

This allows helicopters to remain well within safety margins of the Helicopter Height Velocity Diagram for auto rotation:

1575997926830.png

* Class B, C and D airspace takes precedence over Class H, which makes sense because UAV's should NOT be in the flight path or glide slope of any runway, and should not be flying within 4 miles of Class B, C or D anyway.

Exceptions:

* Waterway landing fields for both fixed wing and helicopters.
* Agriculture.

These areas should be marked with the same signage the government uses to forbid UAV activity in local parks.

Keep in mind that this is a first draft of my Class H idea. Like all regulation, open discussion and consultation from experts is required before committing to a final draft.

I'm open to any arguments against Class H. But as of this writing, I've yet to hear even a single reasonable argument against it.

Discuss.

D

Lol. That is exactly what a drone person would propose and it doesn’t work for a multitude of issues.

drones don’t need their own airspace its Been thourghly covered. Drones are limited to 400’ VFR only, see and avoid. What’s the problem with that?

manned aircraft will always take precedent over unmanned

Reactions: tleedom
Of course the strongest argument against class H is that the worse thing that can happen to drones are FAA airspace regulations. The FAA will never let drones have their own air space. No other aircraft has that either.

The FAA will regulate until it is very hard and/or expensive to operate your drone. pretty much like they did with general aviation. The GPS in my pocket costs 10times or mor less than if FAA approved for install in my aircraft. And so it goes In FAA world.

I would be careful for what you wish for they are probably watching us. ?

Lol. That is exactly what a drone person would propose and it doesn’t work for a multitude of issues.

Name one. As the OP stated, "Dismissal" does NOT an argument make.

drones don’t need their own airspace

Then don't ***** when a low-flying, speeding helicopter slams into a drone @ 300' AGL. Keep your pie hole shut.

its Been thourghly covered.

By whom? When? Where?

Drones are limited to 400’ VFR only, see and avoid. What’s the problem with that?

It's nearly impossible for a drone to avoid low-flying aircraft that speeds up on the drone because the aviation vehicle is exceeding speeds of 100 knots. It's also impossible for helicopter pilot to respond to a drone if the pilot is exceeding 100 knots. Collision is inevitable. That's the problem.

manned aircraft will always take precedent over unmanned

Seems you have a reading comprehension issue. Class H doesn't give drones the "right of way." It simply regulates full scale aviation for safety reasons. Read the OP again. Slowly.

D

Of course the strongest argument against class H is that the worse thing that can happen to drones are FAA airspace regulations. The FAA will never let drones have their own air space. No other aircraft has that either.

Class H doesn't grant drones their own space or right of way. It simply regulates speed of full scale aviation for the purpose of avoiding collision. That's it.

The FAA will regulate until it is very hard and/or expensive to operate your drone. pretty much like they did with general aviation.

Yep. This action of regulation legitimizes drones as "users of the airspace." Class H simply regulates speed for full scale aviation. It does NOT grant "right of way" to drones. Not even close.

The GPS in my pocket costs 10times or mor less than if FAA approved for install in my aircraft. And so it goes In FAA world.

I would be careful for what you wish for they are probably watching us. ?

I see nothing but win/win for Class H. I've yet to hear a single legitimate argument against it. All I've read so far shows a complete misunderstanding of Class H airspace and why it's there. I thought I articulated the intention of Class H very well.

Any suggestions on how to make it more understood that Class H is for the benefit of everyone? And NOT as a "convenience" for drone operators?

D

OK, while healthy debate is good, starting another thread on exactly the same subject with ‘discuss’ (which opened the original thread) is not.
Additionally, the News item has already been posted (in the News section where it belongs) here:

This one is now closed - please continue where it all started.

Here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74