Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mapping and Volumes by drone

Reaction score
I am currently using Drone Deploy to do volume calculations and I have looked into Pix4d, Site scan by 3dr, and Propeller Aero. I was curious if anyone knows of other services either cloud based or desktop based that they like.

Drone Deploy seems to be hit or miss for volumes. I have had to go back to sites because there were holes in the piles even with a 75/65 % overlap.

Thanks!

So why not just skip having to go back, set it to 80 - 85% overlap as they recommend and call it a day? That would drop the "hit or miss" percentages down no?

I do agree with that and we do at most locations. We just have one location we fly that is a very large area and we cannot fly any higher so had to sacrifice the overlap to limit the number of pictures.

Are you using ground control with your flights to calculate the volumes? What accuracy are you able to obtain with the 75% overlap?
Thanks.

U
I am currently using Drone Deploy to do volume calculations and I have looked into Pix4d, Site scan by 3dr, and Propeller Aero. I was curious if anyone knows of other services either cloud based or desktop based that they like.

Drone Deploy seems to be hit or miss for volumes. I have had to go back to sites because there were holes in the piles even with a 75/65 % overlap.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm new here, but I use to follow all the latest developments, mainly for survey applications. After losing some days searching on the web for solutions similar to UgCS for planning survey missions, I realized that doesn't exist, and the only available that has a proper and complete setup is the maps made easy, with a full possibilities to change the settings. The drone deploy is ok, but not for a professional use, as for example, you can't change the lens??? But the main point here is, and I hope this can be read by DJI and the rest of the developers of survey app's, how can they say that is for professional users, when the applications only runs in a crap device like iPad??? If is hot, doesn't work, if it's cold, doesn't work.. what is this, really? and this is for professional users. When we will see these planning/survey applications running on a windows device or at least in an android, because this way we can use a professional tablet, like Panasonic, or similar. For me, this lack of sense of what is a professional use, is just impossible to believe from companies like DJI, Drone Deploy, Apple.. and if this kind of application is to be running only in ios devices, for when Apple will produce a real pro device, not a crap as iPad Pro or any other from the same family, that is for the Pro's in a warm and cozy office. Please, DJI, take it serious, and instead calling Industrial users and applications only to the drones, don't forget that these flying machines need to be controlled by an industrial device. Yes, I must say, that with the new Cendence and the Cristalsky they are going in the right direction, but for now not even the GS Pro can run in the Cristalsky.

Reactions: Droneyboy
Hello,

I'm new here, but I use to follow all the latest developments, mainly for survey applications. After losing some days searching on the web for solutions similar to UgCS for planning survey missions, I realized that doesn't exist, and the only available that has a proper and complete setup is the maps made easy, with a full possibilities to change the settings. The drone deploy is ok, but not for a professional use, as for example, you can't change the lens??? But the main point here is, and I hope this can be read by DJI and the rest of the developers of survey app's, how can they say that is for professional users, when the applications only runs in a crap device like iPad??? If is hot, doesn't work, if it's cold, doesn't work.. what is this, really? and this is for professional users. When we will see these planning/survey applications running on a windows device or at least in an android, because this way we can use a professional tablet, like Panasonic, or similar. For me, this lack of sense of what is a professional use, is just impossible to believe from companies like DJI, Drone Deploy, Apple.. and if this kind of application is to be running only in ios devices, for when Apple will produce a real pro device, not a crap as iPad Pro or any other from the same family, that is for the Pro's in a warm and cozy office. Please, DJI, take it serious, and instead calling Industrial users and applications only to the drones, don't forget that these flying machines need to be controlled by an industrial device. Yes, I must say, that with the new Cendence and the Cristalsky they are going in the right direction, but for now not even the GS Pro can run in the Cristalsky.

I agree..... I plan each flight with Drone Deploy, Maps Made Easy, and DJI GS Pro and the one that works the best in the field that particular day is the one I use. Not much to say for consistency but after flying autonomous missions the last year this saves me from returning to the field. I mainly fly Topo Surveys w. GCPs. UAV mapping is supposed to save time but until software on the front end, and I will add software on the back end(Pix 4D, Correlator(Sim), Datumate etc), is much improved, UAV mapping doesn't save as much time as I had hoped. I will add, Maps Made Easy does have some nice features such as terrain awareness for those steep sites and linear flight planning for roadways etc.

I 2015 the state of Texas DOT awarded their daily volumetric measurement business to Stockpile Reports out of Washington. The have produced 1,000's of measurements using only 2 orange traffic cones set exactly 25 ft apart then using an iPhone 6 or later to walk around the entire pile and capture a video. Submit the video and get your report back soon. The app also supports aerial images and would be able to then give measurements based on higher pixel count images. Just take the time to look into their website as there is a demo tutorial of how to make an aerial data acquisition. No GCPs used but VERY accurate measurements made and compared to LIDAR surveys for accuracy of the results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baie Car