Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Max flight distance....

Reaction score
Hopefully I will be receiving my I1 soon. My question regards travel distance. I've read 1.5 KM. Is this line of sight, open field?
Can I fly out of line of sight, i.e. over a small hill, (not mountain) where I would not be able to see the I1?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Hopefully I will be receiving my I1 soon. My question regards travel distance. I've read 1.5 KM. Is this line of sight, open field?
Can I fly out of line of sight, i.e. over a small hill, (not mountain) where I would not be able to see the I1?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Radio transmissions are line of sight. There cannot be any obstacle between the controller and the Inspire. If the transmissions is blocked or interrupted for a certain period of time, the craft will enter Return to Home mode, provided it has GPS lock and a registered Home Point.

BTW, the Inspire would probably not be visible to you past 1/3 to 1/2 KM.

I have flown 1.9km so far. Others have been out as far as 2.2km. You are definitely beyond LOS. The main issue that most have when flying at distance is not being up high enough. I typically fly at 60-70m high.

I have found the Inspire 1 is much more susceptible to interference and lack of LOS than the P2 with AVL-58. When I flew from an open field with no obstructions, I was able to go 910+M out before it started to lose signal. I got up to 950M at one point. The final 3rd of that flight was over houses etc. But when you look at the video (below) you can see when the camera is pointed back at the home point that when it is over those houses etc. the aircraft actually has a completely unobstructed view to my tx pointing at it. That is because it is high up (400 feet). With the aircraft on the ground, I am lucky to get 150M out of it.

In my first test flights, I had the craft up high too and there was mostly a clear path to it in the sky. But not always, sometimes a house or car would get in the way. In those flights I was limited to 500M.

The antenna orientation must be spot on too. In my ground tests, if I veered even slightly to the left or right of the aircraft, the signal dropped right off. It didn't fail, but it was enough for a warning. At less than 200M!.

I had none of these issues with the P2, but that's analog video. It gets snow in it and so forth, but you can still see. With the Inspire, when it drops, it drops.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa