Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

motor bell housing slightly out of plane

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working on tweaking our Inspire pro with the aim of reducing vibrations down to the absolute minimum. While balancing the props, I also checked them while mounted to the motors verify that they were in plane. While my props all seem straight (+/- 1/32 of and inch or so) I noticed that one of the motor's bell housing does not seem to be perfectly straight. When you rotate the motor by hand you can see a small variation in the gap between the bottom of the bell housing and the top of the motor. With a prop attached this variation from one tip to the next is about 1/8 in. This is much more than the other three motors.

So, my question is.

Will this induce more vibration?
If so, should I replace the entire motor, or just the bell housing and shaft?
Is there a way to straighten this without replacement parts?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you guys have on this topic.

Hello all,

I am working on tweaking our Inspire pro with the aim of reducing vibrations down to the absolute minimum. While balancing the props, I also checked them while mounted to the motors verify that they were in plane. While my props all seem straight (+/- 1/32 of and inch or so) I noticed that one of the motor's bell housing does not seem to be perfectly straight. When you rotate the motor by hand you can see a small variation in the gap between the bottom of the bell housing and the top of the motor. With a prop attached this variation from one tip to the next is about 1/8 in. This is much more than the other three motors.

So, my question is.

Will this induce more vibration?
If so, should I replace the entire motor, or just the bell housing and shaft?
Is there a way to straighten this without replacement parts?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you guys have on this topic.
This would normally indicate a bent shaft (has the aircraft been subject to a crash etc?)

You can confirm whether the shaft is bent by doing the same excercise as you would do to dynamically balance the props.
Put the Inspire down on a level surface with props attached.
Start up the motors and allow them to idle (do not move the aircraft).
Get eye level with the props and look at the tracking of the prop tips - does the motor you suspect show a larger deviation on the prop tip (will show as a blured image to your eye) than the others?

This aircraft is only 1 month old, never crashed, never hard landed. I agree a bent shaft seems to make sense. Do you know if its possible to get a replacement shaft?

This aircraft is only 1 month old, never crashed, never hard landed. I agree a bent shaft seems to make sense. Do you know if its possible to get a replacement shaft?
No - you would never get it out of the bell housing
Replacement motor is your best option.

If the motor doesn't turn freely and 'feel' like the others when rotated by hand it could be a bearing which are easily replaceable bit this sounds like a shaft.

Ok, thank you for your help. The motor turns freely, so I agree its likely not a bearing issue either. Do you have any suggestions as to the best place to source motors?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez