Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Sign up

Remove Magnetic Junk From Motor, Also, Replace Propellor Locks

Mar 16, 2021
Reaction score
Inspire 1 v2 Pro

I have a used Inspire and someone gave me a new kit of Prop Locks. The latest version, I elected to freshen the leaf springs. Replacing 3 of 4 went easy. The last one, a screw was jammed in the threads. And I mean, jammed.

I needed to remove the plastic pieces so I could toss a pliers on the screw and try to remove it. I used a Dremel tool with a small burr to chunk off some of the plastic. Then, a side cutters to bust the larger pieces. Finally, a hack saw to trim between the small screw and the motor shaft. (Yes, I thought of using masking masking tape to prevent junk insode, but ... ).

I used a small Channelock pliers and backed the screw out. First by screwing it in and then back out.

Ok. Now, turned the motor and, there was crap inside. It could rotate in one direction, but, would catch in the other. Then free up, and catch while coming the other direction. So, YouTube, here I come. 2-3 folks wanted to take off the plastic housing and circuit board and get at things that way. Then, I spotted a fellow who showed the backside of the motor. Four tabs held the motor onto the housing. Remove those four screws and carefully tip back the motor. There is enough wire to work on the backside. Using a small screwdriver, I removed the C-Clip and then the thrust washer.

Then I placed the motor back into the housing. Ran the four screws back in and with both hands, pulled the outer housing off the motor. The magnets are really strong and be very careful not to slip, as, if that portion comes rocketing back down, it will pinch skin off of your fingers.

I found using window cleaner on a Q Tip worked best to dig out any stray steel junk. I worked the magnets all over, inside, outside and whatever else to remove the stuff. Took twenty minutes. I believe the one image has the one stray piece that caused my issues. Btw, the clearance between the magnets and stator has to be miniscule. I also ran a tap down the threads to clean them up and make it easier to thread the screws in.

All else, eeasy peeasy ...


  • IMG_5031.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5032.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5041.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5042.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5043.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5045.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5046.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5047.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5048.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
I recently had a very minior tip-over event with my partner's M600 Pro. Damage was limited to one broken set of props. But residual damage was dirt embedded in one of the motors. On site I taped the motor together so it couldn't spin. Once home, I blasted the motor with 100 psi of compressed air (regulated to 100 psi); moved it a little; blasted it; moved it while blasting, etc., until all the "crunchiness" was gone. This took about 10 minutes total and worked like a charm. Since then the M600 has flown several missions without incident.

A Good Solution

I too had both magnetic and plastic bits inside. Took an air hose and blasted away. Didn't do much for the iron stuff.

I knew better. But ...
Just to let you know you DON'T want to "run a tap" through any of the holes.

They are tight on purpose so they don't come loose in flight. That is why the bolts also have locktite on them from the factory. Sure you can use extra locktite on reassembly, but you WANT the mechanical tightness from the threads themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Latest member