Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motor Stop Issue????

Reaction score
As far as I know, you can stop the I2 motors by either holding the left stick back for 3 seconds or both sticks to bottom far right and left for immediate stop.

Four times today I pulled the sticks back and far right and left and the I2 spun up and around and broke one or two props each time.

Has something changed that I can't find or know about? Or is this maybe part of the interference warning issue people seem to be having? Or a current firmware thing???

Oh, and two, a freshly charged battery set with few flights on them had a battery error and read 190 degrees celcius. Batterys were room temp. Other batterys were fine.

WTF is going on????

As far as I know, you can stop the I2 motors by either holding the left stick back for 3 seconds or both sticks to bottom far right and left for immediate stop.

Four times today I pulled the sticks back and far right and left and the I2 spun up and around and broke one or two props each time.

Has something changed that I can't find or know about? Or is this maybe part of the interference warning issue people seem to be having? Or a current firmware thing???

Oh, and two, a freshly charged battery set with few flights on them had a battery error and read 190 degrees celcius. Batterys were room temp. Other batterys were fine.

WTF is going on????
I had the same issue on my SECOND flight with my newly purchased preowned I2.
Bringing it down, on aconcrete pad i did csc, I just about LOSTit. It pitched back and nearly cartwheeled. I honestly dont know how i saved it. Since- sans props I have tested a number of times. It promptly shut down. I think now i have shifted to left stick held back ( mode 2). I'm jittery now. Any others have the issue.

I had the same issue on my SECOND flight with my newly purchased preowned I2.
Bringing it down, on aconcrete pad i did csc, I just about LOSTit. It pitched back and nearly cartwheeled. I honestly dont know how i saved it. Since- sans props I have tested a number of times. It promptly shut down. I think now i have shifted to left stick held back ( mode 2). I'm jittery now. Any others have the issue.
Others agreed on the CSC not to be used. Only throttle stick down and wait for the motors to stop. From my experience the throttle down needs to be done gradually very slowly and then held for 3 sec but even then I need to watch the bird as it tries to lift legs off the ground. I always give it a small amount of opposite imput to bring the legs down. It is a jittery experience this lending under current FW. I believe it started about two FW back and now we are stuck with it.

Out of the times I had this happen today where it did raise up and I guess cartwheel and flip backwards, it did work right once and shut down immediately, and I've done motor stop this way every time from day one. But I think it might be good to run over and put my hand or even foot lightly on top to stop this if it still does it with throttle back for 3 secs. I wonder if it does that with return to home on its own.

It does make propeller sales go up a good bit. Maybe that's the goal.

I kind of wish 3dr hadn't went crazy and belly up. I still like my 3dr solo even though I consider it a nice paper weight.

I still am a fan of having a copter that you can put whatever equipment on that you want and not have to deal with whatever some monster company decides to put out.

There have been reports of weird behavior on the newer firmware when shutting down that may be related to this. No matter what, best to hold throttle down. The CSC is not recommended.

Using CSC when you are on the ground is not recommended. By the time the power has been cut off from the motors there is a big chance that the stick input you have made as you move them to the CSC position will already have spun the drone, just as you have witnessed.

Whilst pulling the left stick back for at least three seconds should stop the motors without mishap, it’s true that the most recent versions of the firmware has certainly introduced a weird and unnerving twitch from the drone before the motors stop. It kind of kicks one leg up and looks like it’s going to flip but never has, yet!

Haven't used the CSC for shutdown for a loooong time - the trouble with the CSC is that the aircraft always seems to take a split second to realise what you're telling it to do, and you can never bring both sticks together perfectly synchronously, so there's always a slight moment where the drone thinks you want it to turn, descend and slew diagonally backwards! I also fly a Phantom 4 and when using the CSC to start the motors on it you can see the camera gimbal twitch to the side and back as it interprets the stick commands as a yaw... observing that led me to stop using the CSC for shutdown and it's something I carried through to the I2 as well.

I always use the throttle down (method 2 in the manual) these days and never have any problems with it, even on uneven surfaces or high/gusty wind situations - if landing on uneven/sloping ground I usually rotate the aircraft so it's nose or tail is into the wind, and try to get it so that at least two legs are firmly planted at touchdown, that way it doesn't pivot/swing around so much and it can feel it's on the ground. If it's really windy and need to shut off quickly for those other two legs down that last inch, then you can then kill the motors using the left stick down-right and RTH button combo.

If you're having continual problems with landing, then probably best to manually fly it over the landing zone to above head height, then use the auto landing button in DJI Go 4 to let it land itself.

Reactions: Kpl

WTF is going on????[/QUOTE

While the AC is on the ground CSC (that is both sticks down and In or down and out) is for motor start-up. While airborne, CSC (both sticks down and in or down and out) is an emergency motor shut down. When accidental shut downs and crashes started happening, DJI in a firmware update, introduced a three second delay in that command.

Motor shut down should only be done with with the left stick held down!

If you notice when you start the motors, they initially rev up and then drop to an idle. I believe what is happening is when you are inches of the ground and you try to CSC to shut off the motors you actually cause the motors to rev up and the AC to jump.

Use the left stick held down and you won't have a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProBowie
I always use throttle stick down till the motors turn off.

Sometimes the IMU will get confused if it is on the ground or not when it lands, and if you do center left or down left or whatever pattern it may think it is in the air still. Actually this usually happens when you land softly and on grass.

Just throttle stick down always and play it safe.

When accidental shut downs and crashes started happening, DJI in a firmware update, introduced a three second delay in that command.

Not quite, they changed the in-flight emergency shutdown sequence to be left stick to lower inner right corner plus hold down the RTH button. It's same on Phantom 4 and Inspire 2. If you're running older versions of software/firmware in the I1 it might be different.

Both sticks in & down won't stop motors in flight now, only on ground.

I believe the original manual said either lift stick down or both sticks to bottom outer corners to stop, and both sticks to bottom inside corners to start. I always start this way, did yesterday too, and always stopped motors to outside bottom without problems until yestitty. But why didn't they say in the little list of "what's new in the latest update" that using both sticks now will result in more propeller sales for DJI? Would have ruint the surprise I guess.

I think what might be best is to implement a switch setup on the remote that when pushed, will eject the propellers all at once when you are safely on the ground and that will take care of any firmware update BS, and you can put them up in your case without the anguish of having to squeeze the locks and turn them one by one. Maybe like this setup, one for prop eject, one for parachute eject and one to eject the guy who makes mistakes in writing codes for firmware updates or set off an air bag under his chair at least.
upload_2018-1-31_13-16-45.jpeg

These images are from the Quickstart guide I guess before the current sales drive on propellers. It's kind of vague, but it seems to follow the way I've seen other copters in the past work for startup and down.

page 0.jpg

page 9.jpg

You've always been able to start/stop by pulling both sticks down and either in together, or out to edges. They just removed the ability to do it while in the air.

As to why it only did it for you yesterday? The fates aligned, simple as that. You can carry on using that sequence and it might not happen again.

Might not happen again? Man, if I bought the fastest horse in the world I could bet on him to lose and win every time. It'll happen again for me I'm tellin you now. Dji has got to have mo propeller money. I lost four props yestitty and they must be made out of porcelain the way they shattered. They need to make their props out of va jayjay material so they are indestructible. But that ain't profitable enough for them I suppose.

We used to use CBC to shut down our x8 in wookong days. The a3 claims its still valid but alway (always)causes a ground loop. At $60 a prop it’s no bueno. Imho that system needs a better kill switch. I’ve had to program a switch to disable the rudder because if you bring the throttle to zero but are only slightly left or right the motors keep spinning forever. Very scary with a big $$$ aircraft.

Yestitty, I saw in the "Main controller settings", "Advanced", "Stop motor method" section that you can choose "CSC" or "Dont stop in air". Its been set to "Dont stop in air" the whole time, but after several attempts to pull both sticks to outside bottom resulting in it raising up and flipping upside down and breaking 2 props each time, Im sticking with the left stick down for 3 seconds metherd until further notice. Or I might just go with the both triggers back on my sawed off double barrel metherd. That'll stop the SOB.

Yestitty, I saw in the "Main controller settings", "Advanced", "Stop motor method" section that you can choose "CSC" or "Dont stop in air". Its been set to "Dont stop in air" the whole time, but after several attempts to pull both sticks to outside bottom resulting in it raising up and flipping upside down and breaking 2 props each time, Im sticking with the left stick down for 3 seconds metherd until further notice. Or I might just go with the both triggers back on my sawed off double barrel metherd. That'll stop the SOB.
Best to just forget about the CSC. It never really made any sense to me to give full stick imput with both stick in bottom corners while props are spinning and bird is on the ground. I never used it on any of my DJI drones, not even on F550 with Naza M V2. Just throttle down slowly and gently and wait 3 sec for the motors to stop. I2 on latest FW has a tendency to lift one or two legs during spooling down, especially when landing on a sloping ground, so I always watch it attentively and correct with sticks to bring the legs back on the ground. Not sure if it actually would flip if I did not give it some corrective stick imput but I do not want to test it.

I was having problems with the DJI app so went to Litchi and Drone Deploy have had not issues at all. I never had a problem with failing to shut down properly. Half the time I use the return to home and it lands and shuts down with no problem. Interesting thread though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu