Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My Crash - A Cautionary Tale

Reaction score
Edit: see the video below for a serious warning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 422
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
It will almost certainly take the entire 8 weeks from they time DJI gets your bird.
We own quite a few of these and this is something I would caution about, we have only had one bird
crash and it's motor failed mid-flight on it's second flight, just stopped had my eyes on it when it happened. Sent it in, no cost repair from DJI, got it back 8 weeks later almost to the day.
Hovered for 3 whole batteries before attempting to fly it. Took it up second day back from repair and it had the exact same motor fail again
and smashed to the ground. Turns out the techs at DJI only run the birds on the bench, no extensive outside flight testing.
That may have changed, since they have relocated, but be SUPER careful when you get it back. Your repair will almost certainly be done from the new facility. so maybe you will be OK.

After hundreds of flights my my personal I1, I totally get you feeling the confidence, this bird is a miracle, seriously. Never had a single scary moment with my personal bird,
nor has anyone else on my staff, with the exception of that one system, it was never right from the factory. crashed on it's second flight.

I know your pain to see your beautiful piece of tech ravaged by gravity, it sucks, but the one absolute predictable event, is that it will crash eventually.
Prepare for it and you'll be as good as you can, given the circumstances.

Luckily, they (DJI, in my experience) take full responsibility for the repair, didn't have to spend a dime on repair and my bird should be ready in a couple of weeks.
FWW - Don't send your ND filter on your camera, mine didn't come back.

Reactions: Ferdi and Ascender
I have very similar damages as you do. I sent it out about 10days ago. My bird has been checked in. The good news is that their repair center just moved to a new facility (last SAT) and according to Tahoe Ed, the size of the new facility is 9 times bigger than previous and they hired a lot more staffs. I expect the turn around is going to be much shorter than 6 wks. You may want to call them for RMA and asked for a shipping label. If you don't ask, they won't offer. Note that the call center would be closed on Monday due to the move to the new facility.

Reactions: Ascender
Everyone, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS RECENT iOS RELEASE. Based upon the telemetry and video, I suspect that the flight characteristics of the Inspire 1 have recently changed rather significantly. I can see that I released the sticks in GPS mode 50 feet before impact, then began reverse throttling, and I was even 100% reverse stick with little to no response from the Inspire 1. I no longer believe that this crash was my fault, and I would be very cautious operating under DJI Pilot App version 1.2.0 (at least for iOS, as I was using).

I will try to capture the screen info and post it along with the video later tonight.

Last edited:
Can't figure out how to get the ShouTV app operational, so I just grabbed a few key frames from the Pilot App.

You can see where I have no input on the right stick just over 50 feet before impact, then 71% reverse thrust 30 feet before impact, then 100% reverse thrust 10 feet before impact.

Everyone, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS RECENT iOS RELEASE. Based upon the telemetry and video, I suspect that the flight characteristics of the Inspire 1 have recently changed rather significantly. I can see that I released the sticks in GPS mode 50 feet before impact, then began reverse throttling, and I was even 100% reverse stick with little to no response from the Inspire 1. I no longer suspect that this crash was my fault, and I would be very cautious operating under DJI Pilot App version 1.2.0 (at least for iOS, as I was using).

I will try to capture the screen info and post it along with the video later tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 79
For your viewing horror...

Can't figure out how to get the ShouTV app operational, so I just grabbed a few key frames from the Pilot App.

You can see where I have no input on the right stick just over 50 feet before impact, then 71% reverse thrust 30 feet before impact, then 100% reverse thrust 10 feet before impact.

Reactions: chorepunk
Why would the app have anything to do with how the I1 responds to stick commands? Surely they are seperate?

Reactions: slim.slamma
I agree, I never fly with just the video stream in close quarters to anything, its far too laggy, esp after a few mins of flight.

If all control was lost then there was nothing to be done.

I have a video where I nearly hit a lighting gantry on one of my first flights due to lag, luckily my spotter shouted and let me know in time, I pulled up and back 100 % to maximise my chances of recovery, I was very lucky though

Slim- what do you mean about backing out that quickly? If you fly in GPS mode moving forward and let go of the sticks, you practically get whiplash from the immediate stop. My braking was set to 100.

I was flying LOS with my eyes on the aircraft when it happened, so lag didn't play a part. I am certain that the stick inputs failed to yield a response, though I don't know if it was the fault of the app or the hardware. I had suspected the app merely because of the recent update that I had applied- no comparable issues with the other 165 flights.

In retrospect, I'm thankful that it ditched into the sand dune. What if I would have ascended without response from the right stick and slammed into the occupied home in the background?

Known issue: watching the app, it lags
Braking should be set to max 130 for that style of flying.
Loss of stick commands? I cant see it backing out that fast
Left stick straight up or a bank turn wouldve spent that baby around asap.
Atti over gps
Hope everything works out for the best tho

Last edited:
It looks to me like it was responding to the stick commands. The aft stick was generating a decreasing horizontal speed, but the obstacle closure rate exceeded the deceleration.

I have had a couple of instances where the deceleration seemed oddly unresponsive. but I've never been able to document it, and have always written it off to a misjudgment on my part.

Next time I fly I think I'll try and measure a few high speed to stationary transitions to get a better sense of what it takes. In this case it sure looked like a fast closure rate.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. The added perspective is very helpful to me.

One point that I'm seeking clarification on- if your braking is set to a standard setting and you release the sticks from a forward position in GPS mode, doesn't your Inspire 1 "stop" pretty abruptly?

It looks to me like it was responding to the stick commands. The aft stick we generating a decreasing horizontal speed, but the obstetrical closure rate exceeded the deceleration.

I have had a couple of instances where the deceleration seemed oddly unresponsive. but I've never been able to document it, and have always written it off to a misjudgment on my part.

Next time I fly I think I'll try and measure a few high speed to stationary transitions to get a better sense of what it takes. In this case it sure looked like a fast closure rate.

Thanks for your response. The added perspective is very helpful to me.

One point that I'm seeking clarification on- if your braking is set to a standard setting and you release the sticks from a forward position in GPS mode, doesn't your Inspire 1 "stop" pretty abruptly?
130 it stops
I was using 100 but i like to fly as you do 130 works better for me .
Direction of wind and your speed as you know play a part with abrupt stops or reversals.
Hopefully dji get you back up and running soon.

Thanks, Slim. I shipped my unit back today, so here's to hoping that the newly expanded service center can get me back in the air soon...

130 it stops
I was using 100 but i like to fly as you do 130 works better for me .
Direction of wind and your speed as you know play a part with abrupt stops or reversals.
Hopefully dji get you back up and running soon.

Thanks, Slim. I shipped my unit back today, so here's to hoping that the newly expanded service center can get me back in the air soon...
My only forced crash i was told it did exactly as advertised. Azz hiles
No matter what happens it always pilot error & it was my fault. Never take anything personal just learn and keep it flying. You probably get your i1 back before the autopilot app drop anyway.

doesn't your Inspire 1 "stop" pretty abruptly?

I'm going to have to experiment with that. Sometimes it seems to and sometimes it doesn't. I've never taken the time to quantify it, but I will next time I fly. That won't be for a couple of weeks for me. Maybe someone to experiment with this and post their impressions.

Is anyone seeking an excuse to take their Inspire 1 out for a spin? :) Need a tester here...

I'm going to have to experiment with that. Sometimes it seems to and sometimes it doesn't. I've never taken the time to quantify it, but I will next time I fly. That won't be for a couple of weeks for me. Maybe someone to experiment with this and post their impressions.

Thanks, Slim! I'm particularly interested in what 100% reverse thrust produces.

Gps, 45 mph, 130 braking, undocumented crosswind, maybe 3mph. Drifted 10-20 feet with no right stick input.
Ill test pulling back on the right stick to see how far to come to a complete stop tonight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko