Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My first fly-away :(

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m not an un-experienced multi-copter pilot, I’ve started with the Phantom 1, built myself an F550, and also used machines from other suppliers.
But the Inspire is by far the best I’ve ever flown, until yesterday…

I did a short flight to “play” with my camera-settings to learn how to get the best results.
When the battery level was about 50% I’ve landed the Inspire, nothing special happened during the flight, the machine responded as it should.
After talking a little bit with someone who came to see what I was doing, I took-off again for a second flight with the same battery (level was still 50%)

Directly after I took of (manually) and I’ve raised the landing gear (the Inspire was about 1.5 meters above the ground, it immediately went away to the right, even though I wasn’t doing anything with the right sticks on the controller.
Because I was close to a fence, and I wanted to avoid that I crashed into the fence I gave more throttle, to get over the fence. But then the Inspire hit a lighting-pole right behind the fence.

One propeller was broken, battery was thrown out of the inspire and the camera was ripped of the drone.
Luckily the drone itself didn’t drop on the ground, but kept hanging at the fence.

So there is no structural damage.

I’ve managed to find all the parts together, and at home I’ve reattached the gimbal back to the inspire.

At first sight everythings seems to work again, however, I didn’t do a new testflight to test everything.

Question now is :

- Is there a way to check (without flying) if everything is still working correctly (a kind of diagnosis)

Best regards,

Patrick

Being close to the fence may have thrown off your IMU. Did you check your MOD settings before taking off the second time? Just something to think about.

I wasn't that close to the fence and it was a wire-fence.
Not a big metal structure.
I didn't checked the IMU for the second flight, because i didn't shut down the inspire. I only stopped and restarted the motors....

After performing the obvious physical checks on the Inspire and re-calibrating everything, i would remove the Inspire's props and try flying it in the simulator. If all goes well in the simulator, I would try to have the Inspire "take-off", but without the props on, while performing all the pre-flight checks at least twice, such as checking IMU and compass mod values, re-calibrating if necessary. Allow the motors to spin up at start, spool them up a little, add a little load and then shut everything down. Then check to make sure all 4 motors are equally warm, have equal resistance, etc...

if all goes well, i would probably try to hover with a couple of freshly charged 100% battery pack in ATTI mode, then another pack in GPS mode to check for stability. If all goes well, i guess you are fine.

Question for you: After you landed with 50% and took off again, was the Inspire on leveled ground when you landed and took off again? Because if you landed on uneven ground, maybe the IMU data was "reset" due to Inspire being on uneven ground, and when you took off again, it took off with bad data.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Hey Patrick. ..
welcome to inspirepilots.com. ...
with your props off start up you i1 and see if the app and the aircraft works and you're not getting any warnings in the status bar..
Then I suggest doing a advanced imu calibration on a flat surface like a garage floor. .(did u calibrate the imu when you first received your i1?)
then in the usual spot where you flew your previous aircraft do a compass calibration. .
go to a safe place with plenty of room to fly and make sure your mod values are good then take off and hover around for a minute or two at close range then start testing it's flight carateristics. .
fly around within los and slowly build your confidence until it's not an issue anymore. ..
if you don't have or use a screen recoding device I'd suggest using one and get a gps tracker and a marco polo rc tracker. .
anyway. ..don't let it get you down..
turbo. ...

When you took off again, did you check that you had satellite reception? Otherwise, maybe it flew in ATTI and the wind took it?
Can also be a problem with the ESC, which can give full throttle to one engine. Has been through it with an other drone and it was in a similar way.

Hey Patrick. ..
with your props off start up you i1 and see if the app and the aircraft works and you're not getting any warnings in the status bar..
Then I suggest doing a advanced imu calibration on a flat surface like a garage floor. .(did u calibrate the imu when you first received your i1?)
then in the usual spot where you flew your previous aircraft do a compass calibration. .
go to a safe place with plenty of room to fly and make sure your mod values are good then take off and hover around for a minute or two at close range then start testing it's flight carateristics. .
fly around within los and slowly build your confidence until it's not an issue anymore. ..
if you don't have or use a screen recoding device I'd suggest using one and get a gps tracker and a marco polo rc tracker. .
turbo. ...
Turbo
Can you recommend a make and model of GPS tracker to get?

Turbo
Can you recommend a make and model of GPS tracker to get?
Sure a tracimo gps tracker ,rf-v16 gps tracker or flytrex. .
also in conjunction with a gps tracker it's a good idea to install a marco polo rc tracker. ..I use a locator 8 and a rf-v16. .when I can afford it i would like a marco polo to backup my rf-v16
if you have more than one drone I suggest installing a small strobe light so if the above fails you can do a fly over and look for the strobe light..I have found a small quad using a strobe ..

Sure a tracimo gps tracker ,rf-v16 gps tracker or flytrex. .
also in conjunction with a gps tracker it's a good idea to install a marco polo rc tracker. ..I use a locator 8 and a rf-v16. .when I can afford it i would like a marco polo to backup my rf-v16
if you have more than one drone I suggest installing a small strobe light so if the above fails you can do a fly over and look for the strobe light..I have found a small quad using a strobe ..
Thanks

Reactions: turbodronepilot
After performing the obvious physical checks on the Inspire and re-calibrating everything, i would remove the Inspire's props and try flying it in the simulator. If all goes well in the simulator, I would try to have the Inspire "take-off", but without the props on, while performing all the pre-flight checks at least twice, such as checking IMU and compass mod values, re-calibrating if necessary. Allow the motors to spin up at start, spool them up a little, add a little load and then shut everything down. Then check to make sure all 4 motors are equally warm, have equal resistance, etc...

if all goes well, i would probably try to hover with a couple of freshly charged 100% battery pack in ATTI mode, then another pack in GPS mode to check for stability. If all goes well, i guess you are fine.

Question for you: After you landed with 50% and took off again, was the Inspire on leveled ground when you landed and took off again? Because if you landed on uneven ground, maybe the IMU data was "reset" due to Inspire being on uneven ground, and when you took off again, it took off with bad data.

I landed on perfectly leveled ground, but it was a concrete floor, maybe this floor was reinforced with steel bars and this could have influenced the compass and the IMU.

However, thanks a lot for your tips on how to check the inspire. I will do the "dry" part of it this weekend, for real flying the weather here in Belgium is to bad (we're having stormy weather at this time)

Hey Patrick. ..
turbo. ...

Hello Turbo,

i've calibrated everything when i received the Inspire, and I always do a compass calibration if I haven't used it for a while or travelled to another place.
And don't worry, I won't get down because of this "event" :)

grtz

Patrick

Reactions: turbodronepilot
When you took off again, did you check that you had satellite reception? Otherwise, maybe it flew in ATTI and the wind took it?
Can also be a problem with the ESC, which can give full throttle to one engine. Has been through it with an other drone and it was in a similar way.

I had about 19 satellites, and I was in GPS mode

I had about 19 satellites, and I was in GPS mode

Hi Daxmon,

How long did you alraedy have your Inspire 1 ?
I also have one and i'm also from Belgium (location Wetteren).
Which version of inspire 1 do you have ?
Perhaps we could contact each other !

kind regards
Marnix

Hello Marnix,

I have my Inspire since june this year, so it's quite new, and I believe it's the D-version
I'm living in Mechelen, you can find me on facebook also, look for Patrick Thijs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth